Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly would not be shocked if LQ picks IU.  If he's a smart kid he sees the open opportunity to get good minutes this year and be on a really good team next year, probably starting or at least getting starter minutes on a team that rolls out Jr Rob, soph. LQ and sr. Al at the 2.  Rs spoh Hunter and LQ at 3.  Sr smith and soph TJD, Brunk at the 5- will need depth added.  But come on.  That's goimg to be a veteran top 15 team.  Patience patience.  

21 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Mods, since no one can post anything about LQ in the LQ thread can we just rename this one and start another LQ thread?  SMH

Go Hoosiers!!!

I will give you some LQ news.

LQ to Memphis tomorrow.  Morton to  PU today and Watford to some place other than IU.  2019 class closed grad transfers or sit on the scholarships

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think I can hang one promise on the board and I started a thread on it.  DEFENSE, I promise we won't roll out undersized 4 guys to defend the five.  That is huge and should be talked about, a lot.  

That is fair.  I think we will have a strong defense.  That is based on statistical improvement and not just hope IMO.  I think we will have more size to utilize on the front line and also have all 5 players more bought into playing D.

I think our best chance next year is to keep the games ugly and close.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

LQ to Memphis tomorrow.  Morton to  PU today and Watford to some place other than IU.  2019 class closed grad transfers or sit on the scholarships

Honestly, the healthiest thing that can happen for immediate improvement is to get some transfers.  I would even entertain a big man that can sit this year to replace Deron next year and pair with Brunk. 

Show improvement this year, keep adding local talent, 20-21 is the year the on the court improvement really shows with Jr Rob at point,  Sr. Al and help at 2, redshirt soph Hunter at 3, soph TJD at 4, Brumk at 5.  Thats a top 15 team that will d you the heck up and  play team ball.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly, the healthiest thing that can happen for immediate improvement is to get some transfers.  I would even entertain a big man that can sit this year to replace Deron next year and pair with Brunk. 

Show improvement this year, keep adding local talent, 20-21 is the year the on the court improvement really shows with Jr Rob at point,  Sr. Al and help at 2, redshirt soph Hunter at 3, soph TJD at 4, Brumk at 5.  Thats a top 15 team that will d you the heck up and  play team ball.  

Focus on improving on the court and get the 2021 in state talent and we will be ok

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is a grad transfer from Arkansas Little rock that has also put his name in the draft.  If he chooses to come back to college I would look at him because he averaged around 17 pts a game and shot 42% from 3.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There is a grad transfer from Arkansas Little rock that has also put his name in the draft.  If he chooses to come back to college I would look at him because he averaged around 17 pts a game and shot 42% from 3.

Someone like that may be the best answer for us

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with that in theory.  I am of the opinion that we need to win now so I would almost prefer we go that type of route.  Grad transfers that can score and have a history of being good from behind the arc would be where I would focus.  Miller is in a hole, but he can get out.  I am just worried that as his tool box currently stands, he is missing a few.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rayjon Tucker is reportedly deciding between Memphis, Kansas, Iowa State, Auburn, and West Virginia sometime next week: https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Report-Rayjon-Tucker-to-choose-between-KU-Memphis-Iowa-State-Auburn-West-Virginia-131800466/

16 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Rayjon Tucker is reportedly deciding between Memphis, Kansas, Iowa State, Auburn, and West Virginia sometime next week: https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Report-Rayjon-Tucker-to-choose-between-KU-Memphis-Iowa-State-Auburn-West-Virginia-131800466/

Memphis is stil recruiting over LQ for next season.    Guess he doesn't mind waiting his turn for the following season to get his PT.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Memphis is stil recruiting over LQ for next season.    Guess he doesn't mind waiting his turn for the following season to get his PT.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

Crazy what Memphis is doing, They're tapping everyone in the market. LQ said in public his goal was to get to the NBA as soon as he could; then he needs a lot of playing time and he should go for IU.

18 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!! 

Saw a quote from him that said  the main thing is finding a program that can get him to the NBA as quick as possible so I guess he thinks Penny is the better coach for that.

11 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Crazy what Memphis is doing, They're tapping everyone in the market. LQ said in public his goal was to get to the NBA as soon as he could; then he needs a lot of playing time and he should go for IU.

To you me and most fans that makes sense. From what I am gathering he feels those other guys need to be worried about him that he is not taking a backseat to anyone. To be coached by 2 guys that not only made it to the league did pretty well.

We have seen a player sit out from injury and his stock rise and a top 5 to 7 pick in our offense now predicted 10 to 16 realistically.  The player development angle is being exploited by our competitors.  We have 1 of the best in Ed Schilling but it's a what can u do for me now kinda deal.

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You are so, so wrong.  You can't be more wrong.  Are you going to stand up and admit you are wrong.  :coffee::coffee::coffee:

I did so about 3 or 4 times.  But for you i will say it one more time.  I was wrong.  I stand corrected. I wish i knew more but i don't.  You have pointed out my flaws and i stand bare before you like a raw nerve exposed to the outside.  I beg your forgiveness

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw a quote from him that said  the main thing is finding a program that can get him to the NBA as quick as possible so I guess he thinks Penny is the better coach for that.

I saw that same quote and that is just one of the reasons I prefer Leal and Galloway. I hope he does go to Memphis 

Since this is Lester's thread and he's likely confused, or worse, turned off by all this negative talk about a coach two years into his contract, I'll ask the question for him...

How would you feel as a recruit seeing a significant portion of the fanbase has already turned against the coach barely two years into his contract? Would you wonder how quick the fanbase would turn on you if you missed a few shots?

I don't get the justification for the relentless criticism every time something doesn't go 100% right. Would any of you want to work for such a relentlessly negative boss and/or in such a negative environment? Would you enjoy having your efforts regularly criticized and every decision second-guessed? How would you feel if your job was one continuous performance review with negative elements on a daily basis?

I get that Archie and IU recruits probably realize that it comes with the territory at Indiana, but I also wonder if they really know just how constant the criticism would be by a pretty vocal minority of fans who are seemingly never satisfied. I wonder how many coaches and recruits turn down schools like IU and UK because of the insanity they witness among the fanbase.  We like to say that we aren't as bad as Kentucky but when I see a recruiting thread derailed like this one has been with incessantly negative comments, I wonder how much better we really are than the toothless hilljacks south of the Ohio River. Other than understanding the game better, I'm not confident IU fans are significantly better in behavior toward coaches and players.

I also suspect that most posters dishing the criticism and second-guessing would have a much harder time being on the receiving end. In my opinion, it would be good to keep that in mind when you're tempted to be negative or critical about IU basketball. Right now, I'm a lot more tired of hearing about missing the tournament than actually missing the tournament. It's time to give it a rest (or at least keep it in the appropriate threads) and discuss the recruit instead of the lousy basketball program that you still miraculously "support".

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Since this is Lester's thread and he's likely confused, or worse, turned off by all this negative talk about a coach two years into his contract, I'll ask the question for him...

How would you feel as a recruit seeing a significant portion of the fanbase has already turned against the coach barely two years into his contract? Would you wonder how quick the fanbase would turn on you if you missed a few shots?

I don't get the justification for the relentless criticism every time something doesn't go 100% right. Would any of you want to work for such a relentlessly negative boss and/or in such a negative environment? Would you enjoy having your efforts regularly criticized and every decision second-guessed? How would you feel if your job was one continuous performance review with negative elements on a daily basis?

I get that Archie and IU recruits probably realize that it comes with the territory at Indiana, but I also wonder if they really know just how constant the criticism would be by a pretty vocal minority of fans who are seemingly never satisfied. I wonder how many coaches and recruits turn down schools like IU and UK because of the insanity they witness among the fanbase.  We like to say that we aren't as bad as Kentucky but when I see a recruiting thread derailed like this one has been with incessantly negative comments, I wonder how much better we really are than the toothless hilljacks south of the Ohio River. Other than understanding the game better, I'm not confident IU fans are significantly better in behavior toward coaches and players.

I also suspect that most posters dishing the criticism and second-guessing would have a much harder time being on the receiving end. In my opinion, it would be good to keep that in mind when you're tempted to be negative or critical about IU basketball. Right now, I'm a lot more tired of hearing about missing the tournament than actually missing the tournament. It's time to give it a rest (or at least keep it in the appropriate threads) and discuss the recruit instead of the lousy basketball program that you still miraculously "support".

What is a significant percentage?  I seems to me that this is just the opinion of a dozen or so posters who feel the need to vent about something that they have no control over.  I hope Lester is wise enough to make his own educated decision. 

...and turning the hose on the recruits since I'm in a bad mood this morning...

I am sick of hearing recruits say their main goal in college is to get to the NBA as quickly as possible. That just screams "it's all about me. I really don't have a vested interest in how the team does as long as I look good and my draft stock improves."

I hope Lester is being misquoted or mischaracterized here, but if he's all about his journey to the NBA and is indifferent about team success, my interest level in him as an IU fan drops off a cliff.  I hope his priorities as a college player are a lot more balanced than they're being presented.

We can be disappointed in how Romeo shot from behind the arc last season, but while he was a player at IU, he never presented himself as just prepping for the combine.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It's great to have that goal but very, very few players make it to that level.  The one and dones that make the jump are so rare.  LQ will need minimum 2 years under any coach but probably more like 3 to sniff the 1st round.   IU immediately offers a very good shot at making the starting lineup and getting PT against quality opponents weekly.  Memphis is the gamble.  Playing for an unproven coaching staff, playing a weak non power 5 schedule,  rare national TV exposure and not to mention a team with very little college experience.  

LQ is buying into what Penny is selling though so oh well.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I did so about 3 or 4 times.  But for you i will say it one more time.  I was wrong.  I stand corrected. I wish i knew more but i don't.  You have pointed out my flaws and i stand bare before you like a raw nerve exposed to the outside.  I beg your forgiveness

Hahaha, my favorite post in a long time.

41 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For starters, I would not consider this board a significant portion of the fanbase and second I would say that people have not turned on the coach.

I have a job, I have had constructive criticism pushed my way.  I have also had it questioned how I handled a problem and was second guessed on decisions I made.  Now was that in front of a wide audience?  No.  But then again, I make significantly less than $3 million a year.

You are basically complaining about sports culture.  It is merit based when you get past the junior leagues.  And coaches at every level are second guessed on what they do.  The questioning becomes more vocal as you move up the line.  If you have dreams of being a professional player, the microscope will focus even more.  If you are at a major program, you will have decisions discussed on sports talk radio.  In fact, that entire medium is built around questioning, second guessing, evaluating, spit balling, etc. about sports and much of that can focus on the negatives.

If recruits are reading this, we are a crazy fanbase.  We can be tough.  But when you come in and bust your a$$, do what the coach tells you, be a good citizen and teammate, you will win.  And with our craziness comes loyalty.  You will be embraced like nowhere else.  If you are really lucky, you will be involved in a moment that will have people talking about you and sharing videos of you 20 and 30 and 40 years after you played.  We can be tough, but we are fair.

Archived