Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Since this is Lester's thread and he's likely confused, or worse, turned off by all this negative talk about a coach two years into his contract, I'll ask the question for him...

How would you feel as a recruit seeing a significant portion of the fanbase has already turned against the coach barely two years into his contract? Would you wonder how quick the fanbase would turn on you if you missed a few shots?

I don't get the justification for the relentless criticism every time something doesn't go 100% right. Would any of you want to work for such a relentlessly negative boss and/or in such a negative environment? Would you enjoy having your efforts regularly criticized and every decision second-guessed? How would you feel if your job was one continuous performance review with negative elements on a daily basis?

I get that Archie and IU recruits probably realize that it comes with the territory at Indiana, but I also wonder if they really know just how constant the criticism would be by a pretty vocal minority of fans who are seemingly never satisfied. I wonder how many coaches and recruits turn down schools like IU and UK because of the insanity they witness among the fanbase.  We like to say that we aren't as bad as Kentucky but when I see a recruiting thread derailed like this one has been with incessantly negative comments, I wonder how much better we really are than the toothless hilljacks south of the Ohio River. Other than understanding the game better, I'm not confident IU fans are significantly better in behavior toward coaches and players.

I also suspect that most posters dishing the criticism and second-guessing would have a much harder time being on the receiving end. In my opinion, it would be good to keep that in mind when you're tempted to be negative or critical about IU basketball. Right now, I'm a lot more tired of hearing about missing the tournament than actually missing the tournament. It's time to give it a rest (or at least keep it in the appropriate threads) and discuss the recruit instead of the lousy basketball program that you still miraculously "support".

I have come to a conclusion that some people will never be happy or satisfied and the only time some of them are happy is when they are miserable.  I have said that some fans would think a season would be a disappointment even if we go 37-1 and lose on a last second half court shot in the championship game.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Since this is Lester's thread and he's likely confused, or worse, turned off by all this negative talk about a coach two years into his contract, I'll ask the question for him...

How would you feel as a recruit seeing a significant portion of the fanbase has already turned against the coach barely two years into his contract? Would you wonder how quick the fanbase would turn on you if you missed a few shots?

I don't get the justification for the relentless criticism every time something doesn't go 100% right. Would any of you want to work for such a relentlessly negative boss and/or in such a negative environment? Would you enjoy having your efforts regularly criticized and every decision second-guessed? How would you feel if your job was one continuous performance review with negative elements on a daily basis?

I get that Archie and IU recruits probably realize that it comes with the territory at Indiana, but I also wonder if they really know just how constant the criticism would be by a pretty vocal minority of fans who are seemingly never satisfied. I wonder how many coaches and recruits turn down schools like IU and UK because of the insanity they witness among the fanbase.  We like to say that we aren't as bad as Kentucky but when I see a recruiting thread derailed like this one has been with incessantly negative comments, I wonder how much better we really are than the toothless hilljacks south of the Ohio River. Other than understanding the game better, I'm not confident IU fans are significantly better in behavior toward coaches and players.

I also suspect that most posters dishing the criticism and second-guessing would have a much harder time being on the receiving end. In my opinion, it would be good to keep that in mind when you're tempted to be negative or critical about IU basketball. Right now, I'm a lot more tired of hearing about missing the tournament than actually missing the tournament. It's time to give it a rest (or at least keep it in the appropriate threads) and discuss the recruit instead of the lousy basketball program that you still miraculously "support".

I could deal with a LOT of crap for 3+ million a year and a free mansion to live in....just saying

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

For starters, I would not consider this board a significant portion of the fanbase and second I would say that people have not turned on the coach.

I have a job, I have had constructive criticism pushed my way.  I have also had it questioned how I handled a problem and was second guessed on decisions I made.  Now was that in front of a wide audience?  No.  But then again, I make significantly less than $3 million a year.

You are basically complaining about sports culture.  It is merit based when you get past the junior leagues.  And coaches at every level are second guessed on what they do.  The questioning becomes more vocal as you move up the line.  If you have dreams of being a professional player, the microscope will focus even more.  If you are at a major program, you will have decisions discussed on sports talk radio.  In fact, that entire medium is built around questioning, second guessing, evaluating, spot balling, etc. about sports.  

If recruits are reading this, we are a crazy fanbase.  We can be tough.  But when you come in and bust your a$$, do what the coach tells you, be a good citizen and teammate, you will win.  And with our craziness comes loyalty.  You will be embraced like nowhere else.  If you are really lucky, you will be involved in a moment that will have people talking about you and sharing videos of you 20 and 30 and 40 years after you played.  We can be tough, but we are fair.

I hear you.  The tone here has just gone down the 💩er recently and a relentlessly negative tone in the fanbase is not at all attractive to players and coaches considering being a part of a program.  It doesn't matter if the negative tone here represents only 1% of the fanbase.  It's getting at least half of the attention and it's wearing on me as a fan.  I want to win too.  I just don't see the negativity here as at all positive for the program.  I seriously doubt Archie even looks at it.  He just doesn't seem like the type that is interested.  Players and player families are a different story.  We know they come here and lurk.  Some even participate.  If I'm deciding on a college program right now, this tone is a decided negative for the program attached.  Do I really want to play for fans like this? 

I sometimes think it would be better if the forum was dead during the May signing period.

2 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

I could deal with a LOT of crap for 3+ million a year and a free mansion to live in....just saying

This is going to sound a lot like Scott wrote it, but based on what I've seen in fan forums since Tom Crean was hired, I wouldn't touch the IU coaching job with a 10-foot pole.

I have a nice group of clients and I make a nice living taking care of them...far less than Archie makes, but I'm comfortable.  I don't have people criticizing the job I'm doing on a daily basis and job satisfaction without all of the negativity is important enough for me that I would  personally avoid the path that Archie has taken.

IMO, It takes a special breed of person to deal with the noise a coach of a storied program like IU has to live with.  The accolades of success are nice, but I'm just not confident they are worth the other side of the ledger.  I don't think they would be for me, regardless of the salary level.  I'm glad there are qualified people willing to do the job, but I think only a tiny portion of the working population would be able to handle the pressures of being an IU basketball coach.  There were definitely times I felt CTC was cracking under the pressure.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hear you.  The tone here has just gone down the 💩er recently and a relentlessly negative tone in the fanbase is not at all attractive to players and coaches considering being a part of a program.  It doesn't matter if the negative tone here represents only 1% of the fanbase.  It's getting at least half of the attention and it's wearing on me as a fan.  I want to win too.  I just don't see the negativity here as at all positive for the program.  I seriously doubt Archie even looks at it.  He just doesn't seem like the type that is interested.  Players and player families are a different story.  We know they come here and lurk.  Some even participate.  If I'm deciding on a college program right now, this tone is a decided negative for the program attached.  Do I really want to play for fans like this? 

I sometimes think it would be better if the forum was dead during the May signing period.

Well I am being "negative" (read: worried) because I have not been happy with how things have gone.  I still care...apathy is what would worry me.  If you are cheering, you still care.  If you are complaining (with actual substance) you still care.  When you just don't bother anymore, then you got a problem.

I do not think that last year was sunshine and roses.  I know we have the mother of a potential recruit on here for sure.  One positive about her is that she is also a fan and I think she knows where we are coming from.  None of us want Miller to fail.  I like the guy.  I want him to go on the Mt. Rushmore of IU coaches with McCracken and Knight.  If her son ends up choosing IU, I want my kids remembering when the Leal led Hoosiers ran Duke off the court in the Elite 8.  I went to IU.  Dear recruits...it is AWESOME.  It was 4 of the best years of my life.  Some of my greatest memories were there.  Some of them revolved around the team you are being asked to join.  I would still probably give my left nut to be in your position and Bozo the Clown could be the coach.  Why?  Because this fanbase, this program, this school, this sport is special around here.  If you see us complain some, it is because we care...way more than we should.  And those of us complaining make sure to keep the pressure on so that if you are a part of this program that you will get the tools you need to succeed.  Do we have bad apples?  Yes.  That's life.  But the majority of us got your back even when we look to be disappointed in results.

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If the so called negativity really had that big of an effect than Kentucky and North Carolina would not be bringing in five stars left and right each year.  The IU message board is not more negative or crazy than any other  teams with a passionate fan base.

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

If the so called negativity really had that big of an effect than Kentucky and North Carolina would not be bringing in five stars left and right each year.  The IU message board is not more negative or crazy than any other  teams with a passionate fan base.

You don't think UK and North Carolina miss on a lot of players?  I do.  Who knows the reasons, but I wouldn't rule out things posted on public fan forums.  Why as a fanbase do we want to give players a reason to not choose IU?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and turning the hose on the recruits since I'm in a bad mood this morning...

I am sick of hearing recruits say their main goal in college is to get to the NBA as quickly as possible. That just screams "it's all about me. I really don't have a vested interest in how the team does as long as I look good and my draft stock improves."

I hope Lester is being misquoted or mischaracterized here, but if he's all about his journey to the NBA and is indifferent about team success, my interest level in him as an IU fan drops off a cliff.  I hope his priorities as a college player are a lot more balanced than they're being presented.

We can be disappointed in how Romeo shot from behind the arc last season, but while he was a player at IU, he never presented himself as just prepping for the combine.

So my question...why did you go to college? Was it to better the university and was it about what you could give back to it or was it to get the best job in your field of choice. These recruits are going to school to have the career of basketball player....to get a job (NBA)...why is that any different then going to a school for its engineering etc..you go to use the school as a jumping off to your career hoping it will get you a job...not some special motivation to give back to the university.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

So my question...why did you go to college? Was it to better the university and was it about what you could give back to it or was it to get the best job in your field of choice. These recruits are going to school to have the career of basketball player....to get a job (NBA)...why is that any different then going to a school for its engineering etc..you go to use the school as a jumping off to your career hoping it will get you a job...not some special motivation to give back to the university.

I am with you. I love all 6 years of college😀 but if I was told I could go 1 and still get the job I wanted I would sign up immediately.  

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well that is the problem because only 1% of all college athletes become professional athletes.  I think today to many kids believe the hype and think they will play in the NBA but they re no where good enough to go to the NBA especially early on.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I went to USI on a partial academic scholarship.  Without question, a big reason I went to college was to get an education and in return, a good job when I got out.  Without question, I felt the university prepared me well for the business world and I had no difficulty getting a job when I graduated.  A few important distinctions here...

Scholarship recipients were expected to help with the fundraising drive each year so I, along with a bunch of other students spent time manning the phones and dialing for dollars.  I didn't like it, but since I got reduced tuition, I did it as a way to say thanks for the assistance.

Unlike D1 basketball players, I had to pay part of my tuition and all of my living expenses.  No monthly stipend either.

As a part of my appreciation for the education I got, along with the tuition assistance which helped pay for it, I donate regularly when students call me soliciting donations.  I probably do it partially in sympathy for students having to make the calls.

Had I received a full ride and a stipend as well, I would feel that much more obligated to give back to the school that was so good to me.  I'm guessing today's D1 package at public schools like IU is worth $40-50K/year.  If I'm being paid like that by my current "employer", you'd better believe I'd feel very obligated to do a lot more than simply prepare for my next job.

...and given the odds, most of these kids going to college to prepare for making a living playing basketball would be better served preparing for life after basketball.  That's just the reality of how the odds are stacked against them having the kind of career success that would allow them to retire after their playing days were done.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You don't think UK and North Carolina miss on a lot of players?  I do.  Who knows the reasons, but I wouldn't rule out things posted on public fan forums.  Why as a fanbase do we want to give players a reason to not choose IU?

Kentucky brings in four or five top 20 recruits a year. Case close. 

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Reopening the case...better check your stats. Some years better than others especially since Duke got in the game.

Kentucky is about to add two more five stars in the next few days. Boy those internet boards are killing them! That will make 5 for this year and last year they had 4. 

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

Kentucky is about to add two more five stars in the next few days. Boy those internet boards are killing them! That will make 5 for this year and last year they had 4. 

I'm sure they're well compensated for their mental anguish.:coffee:

Seriously, it matters whether you believe it or not. Kentucky likely offsets that negative with wildcat lodge and cash, but I'll bet there are kids that took a good look at that fanbase and moved on.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure they're well compensated for their mental anguish.:coffee:

Seriously, it matters whether you believe it or not. Kentucky likely offsets that negative with wildcat lodge and cash, but I'll bet there are kids that took a good look at that fanbase and moved on.

Or got a better offer and moved on. 

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

If you like how they recruit why not go over and join the big blue nation.  It is funny that they get all of these top players and yet Cal has only one championship to show for it.  I will never want IU to recruit like UK or Duke does because I don't want to see us be a one and done factory.  Give me the system like UVA and Villanova any day of the week.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There is a grad transfer from Arkansas Little rock that has also put his name in the draft.  If he chooses to come back to college I would look at him because he averaged around 17 pts a game and shot 42% from 3.

The staff has been looking at some grad transfers but again their hands are tied on a lot of kids.

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Kentucky likely offsets that negative with wildcat lodge

Where do IU players stay on campus?  According to a UK site, one of the Wildcat Lodge options is a single room as part of a suite.  Gotta say, that sounds better than a tiny 2-person dorm room.

47 minutes ago, KDB said:

Maybe we should just hire four former NBA guys and have them tell every recruit I can get you to the league. Seems like all alot of these kids want to hear anymore. Nevermind that there are only like 56 picks each year they do not seem to get that. LOL

Archived