Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious to see him pick IU?? Kinda like a reverse of what the Garlands did to IU....

What kind of exposure is this kid going to get at Memphis?? When's the last time you watched a Memphis game on the tube??

I would say slim and none are our chances. The kid seems 100% sold on Penny. 

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So what do you call this? And I meant how players make announcements. Were you online during Eric Anderson's announcement? 

I take "social media" to include Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/etc etc.  I don't mind the online announcements, but I'm not going to follow all the blowback from it via any of those channels.  The fact announcements are made online doesn't make an iota of difference to me in terms of it feeling more like a win or a loss.  It'd be no different that if I read it via a news release or any other way you can acquire information. 

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So what do you call this? And I meant how players make announcements. Were you online during Eric Anderson's announcement? 

Actually for 89 class I did not find out about it until  the day after signing day in the Indy star

18 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Another swing and yet another miss.

We are getting good at coming 2nd in these battle. But did anyone honestly think we were getting him after his quotes about Memphis? I thought our chances werre 5% maybe. 

So I guess that about wraps up the spring recruitin season for us. We will go into next year with 11 players who need to get this done for Archie. 

Short of a grad transfer reach or someone reclassifying from 20 to 19 are we officially done with 19? TJD, Franklin, and Brunk is normally a fine class but two things. First...all 3 are less than 60 miles from campus. Secondly...we haven't addressed our outside shooting yet unless we think RP, DG, and Al are going to increase dramatically and by that I mean consistently. 

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I take "social media" to include Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/etc etc.  I don't mind the online announcements, but I'm not going to follow all the blowback from it via any of those channels.  The fact announcements are made online doesn't make an iota of difference to me in terms of it feeling more like a win or a loss.  It'd be no different that if I read it via a news release or any other way you can acquire information. 

I think my point is the reason anyone at all is talking about most of these recruits is because of social media and basically made up rankings. Back in the day you didn't know who the "last five" schools were. 30 years ago you would've had no idea Archie was even going after this guy unless he committed, and then like you said you'd read about it in the paper.  Now when we don't get him it's like "another swing and a miss," recruiting is awful, we're doomed etc.  

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Short of a grad transfer reach or someone reclassifying from 20 to 19 are we officially done with 19? TJD, Franklin, and Brunk is normally a fine class but two things. First...all 3 are less than 60 miles from campus. Secondly...we haven't addressed our outside shooting yet unless we think RP, DG, and Al are going to increase dramatically and by that I mean consistently. 

Nope outside shooting has not been addressed at all. Next season will all hinge on if they current players can improve enough from three to get us from dead last in

t he conference to possibly somewhere in the middle. If there is no real improvement it will be a long year. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have really cruel friends. Got a message saying better be ready for good news at 500.

FYI: He knows nothing other than the announcement time

Never quoted myself before but my friend is a good friend and good news came at 500. Pizza man showed up with 2 large pizzas a 2 liter of coke and breadsticks. On the receipt it read: Its Memphis.

Then I got a nice call from him to discuss our recruiting woes

5 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Nope outside shooting has not been addressed at all. Next season will all hinge on if they current players can improve enough from three to get us from dead last in

t he conference to possibly somewhere in the middle. If there is no real improvement it will be a long year. 

Addition by subtraction = 3 point shooting percentage will go up. Bank on it.

Thank you Lester, for considering IU till the very end.  And helping keep IU on the national stage, as a result. There were others (Michigan) you could have gone down to the wire with. And many, many more that were not even in your consideration.  Never a bad thing, when your school is associated with one of the best BB recruits in the nation. You chose IU to keep in the mix.  Much appreciated.  The best of luck, going forward, young man. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you Lester, for considering IU till the very end.  And helping keep IU on the national stage, as a result. There were others (Michigan) you could have gone down to the wire with. And many, many more that were not even in your consideration. But, you chose IU to keep in the mix.  Much appreciated.  The best of luck, going forward, young man. 

In reality I think Archie has done some weirdly remarkable recruiting getting in on these guys at the end. We weren't on some of these guys radars, but ended up being considered. This would be my positive spin based on a lackluster season; he's impressing top flight guys with his vision, and that's promising to a degree. I think next season is going to surprise a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

I’m a little disappointed about not adding some obvious shooting.  Any chance Franklin can fill reasonably well?  Greene is good to get hot now and then, but it looks like Franklin is 37% career 3 point shooter - couldn’t find senior year stats.  Please tell me he can shoot.   High volume 40%+ 3 point shooters can change the game - who can do it on the roster?

10 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I’m a little disappointed about not adding some obvious shooting.  Any chance Franklin can fill reasonably well?  Greene is good to get hot now and then, but it looks like Franklin is 37% career 3 point shooter - couldn’t find senior year stats.  Please tell me he can shoot.   High volume 40%+ 3 point shooters can change the game - who can do it on the roster?

Franklin shot 44/112, 39% from 3 last season. 

edit: that would be 1.8/4.6 a game. 

• KDB changed the title to Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

I spend very little time thinking about recruiting. A kid either comes to play at IU or not, I'm not going to worry about it. The only exception is Indiana recruits. I want the best Indiana talent coming to IU and when those guys go elsewhere it stings.

One thing I do expect is that any head coach at IU can take the kids he has and mold them into a winning team. That seems to be a lost art form in Bloomington.

56 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I spend very little time thinking about recruiting. A kid either comes to play at IU or not, I'm not going to worry about it. The only exception is Indiana recruits. I want the best Indiana talent coming to IU and when those guys go elsewhere it stings.

One thing I do expect is that any head coach at IU can take the kids he has and mold them into a winning team. That seems to be a lost art form in Bloomington.

This isn't a shot at you or your thoughts. I was that way for years too (not the recruiting part). Problem is we've lost on both. When we were IU it didn't matter because we had the confidence and arrogance to understand our guys will beat whoever. That was lost around 2000. We've had sniffs of it with 4-5 good to really good years over the last 2 decades but boy....I sure do miss it. Here's one silver lining. If things don't work this time with trying to get the up and coming coach. The only option our university we love so much after this is to back up the Brinks truck. 

We may have dodged a bullet. Michigan radio has been mentioning how this recruitment is dirty and that’s why they cancelled on LQ. If he had came to IU, surely they would have turned in their rival. Similar to OSU turning in Bruce Pearl for recruiting violations. 

4 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

We only recruited Lester for 3 months, so I refuse to be upset that he went elsewhere. If we can't land Watford, I hope the staff focuses on finding a dependable shooting grad transfer and call 2019 a wrap. 

Watford has been a no since 2018. I'm not sure why anyone has hope for him. In the words of BB...I'm onto 2020. Haha.

Just now, Feathery said:

We may have dodged a bullet. Michigan radio has been mentioning how this recruitment is dirty and that’s why they cancelled on LQ. If he had came to IU, surely they would have turned in their rival. Similar to OSU turning in Bruce Pearl for recruiting violations. 

Not sure what's more interesting. They cancelling or we kept our visit after that....if in fact the speculation is true. Considering Michigan has been historically the king of dirty I'll say it's sour grapes for them . 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what's more interesting. They cancelling or we kept our visit after that....if in fact the speculation is true. Considering Michigan has been historically the king of dirty I'll say it's sour grapes for them . 

Beilien has been voted by his peers as the cleanest coach in the game. Sure Fab 5 Michigan was dirty. Beilien era, doubtful. He just develops players. 

After that cancellation I was watching this recruitment as a barometer to how much of the game are we playing. Are we at the Crean level of recruiting in the grey, have we advanced to a darker shade of grey, are we to the Sean Miller level?  Seems like we are still at the Crean level. For the get old stay old philosophy, that should suffice. 

3 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

Addition by subtraction = 3 point shooting percentage will go up. Bank on it.

If they move back the 3pt line I bet we don’t shoot better. We have marginal shooters from deep at best...we don’t have deep shooters...we need someone to start shooting corner 3s.

Archived