Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Brooks could just stay there and play his 15 minutes and could still get drafted.  Daniel Orton averaged 3.7 points a game and was still a first round pick

This is a valid point.  Just sharing what some chatter I was hearing last week.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Brooks could just stay there and play his 15 minutes and could still get drafted.  Daniel Orton averaged 3.7 points a game and was still a first round pick

If these other guys commit he wont even get 15. Unless he rises to occassion and ahowe he is worthy. He and Dad are betting on KB, they believe better competition will bring out his best 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Beilein pulled the plug on the deal over the weekend. That is true. However, according to this story, the Cavs had been "romancing" Beilein, for sometime.  Gilbert's main man has been Beilein for sometime.  It only makes sense that the Cavs would explore alternatives should Beilein do to the Cavs, what he did to the Pistons last year.

Cavs news: John Beilein agrees to 5-year deal to coach Cleveland

I just don't see Beilein as a person who would leave Michigan, high and dry, without even a plan for a replacement.... much less go after a recruit who most likely would re-commit. 

I think he had enough of the corrupt unfair college bbal atmosphere where nobody gets punished. He seemed like a guy with too high of a moral character to get in the gutter with the Will Wades and Sean Millers of the world 

Beilein had "become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players." Let's take those one by one. The FBI investigation that uncovered just how prevalent cheating had become underlined the challenges a by-the-book recruiter like Beilein faced annually. Trust me when I tell you, he won't miss that part of the sport at all. 

• Now the early entry rules allow formal relationship with agents. That adds a layer of complexity to the counsel given to guys considering making the jump. (Beilein commented recently about how it was going to be “interesting” to see how that affected the process).
  • Then consider the uneven playing field that exists in college basketball… where a FBI probe into the sport didn’t result in the punishment of any of the head coaches seemingly implicated on wiretaps, and you can see why he my find the NBA even more enticing at this stage of his caree

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If these other guys commit he wont even get 15. Unless he rises to occassion and ahowe he is worthy. He and Dad are betting on KB, they believe better competition will bring out his best 

He is not listed on any draft boards right not but daddy seemed pretty convinced he is one and done so he likely goes no matter what. 

13 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

He is not listed on any draft boards right not but daddy seemed pretty convinced he is one and done so he likely goes no matter what. 

Yep. Once again dont want anyone to think it was wrong decision. Sometimes getting yourself or in this case your Dad out of the way is the best option. 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm guessing his time at LaLu makes them think that way. IIRC he was the leading scorer on that team, but wasn't the highest rated recruit (Washington, others?)

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And Orton is the perfect illustration that counters the "Start the clock on the 2nd contract" argument for leaving early.  Yep, he got drafted all right....and played a total of 51 games in the NBA for 3 teams in 3 years, and hasn't seen the NBA since.  Granted, playing overseas is still a pretty nice living, but there was no way he was NBA ready. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't think they like IU.  I don't know that they burned bridges, but they didn't seem to like IU.  Remember that they derided the fan base.  Instead of looking at the fan base with the proper bell curve, they looked at the trolls and castigated the fan base.

Well the losing steak I did not help our cause plus Cal told them just what they wanted to hear. Cal wins alot and probly stroked their egos with the one and done talk. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

And Orton is the perfect illustration that counters the "Start the clock on the 2nd contract" argument for leaving early.  Yep, he got drafted all right....and played a total of 51 games in the NBA for 3 teams in 3 years, and hasn't seen the NBA since.  Granted, playing overseas is still a pretty nice living, but there was no way he was NBA ready. 

Very true. He also played in Cal's era of "forcing" players out after 1 year so the next mega-class had room. Cal seems to have softened on that a bit in the past few years.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Been biting my tongue about this, but LQ's social media posts that I've seen posted on this thread combined with his interview answers got old and we didn't even recruit him that long. Not trying to act like I don't want him on our team after getting scorned. I wish we had him - he filled a need. 

I realize that I may sound old and out of touch, but playing to fanbases in order to get more instagram followers is off-putting. Posting a picture like you are the second coming of Christ in a photoshopped IU uniform and asking stuff like "Whatchya think Hoosier Nation?" is a little too overtop the for me. This is literally asking for praise. And it also makes our fanbase look desperate for playing into it. And I gotta say that grown fans interacting with a kid on social media is kinda creepy anyway. On the boards we have the saying 'don't feed the trolls' but when it comes to social media we need to stop feeding the blatant seeking for attention. If a recruit is really going to make his decision based off the amount of likes or comments he get on social media then I'm not sure his head is in the right place.  

Signed,

Old Balls McGee

I have to agree.  We are desperate for a wing shooter, so I also bit my tongue.  But, I have to say, he looks a little dough-y right now and needs someone like Cliff Marshall to get chiseled.  Based on his comments, I'd also be worried he'd be the type of kid who "needs his."  

I hope we switch gears and get a kid like Trey Galloway in that spot.  

The dilemma is we are a little short on the wing next year.  I hope we get a grad transfer or a foreigner or some kid decommitting to fall out of the sky.

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Everyone knows my views of kids leaving early and Orton is a prime example of kids leaving when no even close to being ready to play.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Everyone knows my views of kids leaving early and Orton is a prime example of kids leaving when no even close to being ready to play.

All of this kind of stuff is one of the reasons Beilein is leaving from the sounds of it. He is a by the book guy who I think had enough of the the current college athmosphere and one done players you have to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not only was he not NBA ready but he was not NBA talent.  If he had the talent and work ethic he would have developed without training time limits and 24/7 access to trainers and development coaches.  

One could also make the case of striking while the iron is hot before you are exposed as a hyped up fraud.  

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't think they like IU.  I don't know that they burned bridges, but they didn't seem to like IU.  Remember that they derided the fan base.  Instead of looking at the fan base with the proper bell curve, they looked at the trolls and castigated the fan base.

Keion loved IU.  Maybe his Dad didn’t but if the choice was Keions he’d be here I think.

18 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Go read the articles. He was in general fed up with what college bbal had become: cheating, one and dones, agents, etc.  College bbal is very dirty  and he is very clean. 

And he was doing really well.

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

Go read the articles. He was in general fed up with what college bbal had become: cheating, one and dones, agents, etc.  College bbal is very dirty  and he is very clean. 

+1

Among the big players in college basketball, I would’ve been shocked to see Beilein playing dirty.  He seemed to build his teams the right way with great results.

Overall, his jump to the NBA weakens the B1G and seemingly shines a light on just how out of control we perceive the world of college basketball recruiting to be.

Archived