Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

every single program has people that act that way. We notice because its us. Coaches use every angle they can,like I said there are still many saying CAM and staff won't be here in 4 years. Doe not mean its true. 

It does not have to be true but they will still use it so it would be better off for the fans not to add fuel to it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dgambill said:

I’m just going to stop because you have this covered...you are so right on. Continue the good fight man!

I appreciate it!! Got to get something right today might as well be a message board discussion.  Most people on social media are for lack of a better word attention whores. Check the likes and so on and its all about me. That is the society we live in with it also comes the bad. You cant just take the good and ignore the bad. These recruits want 1000's of like and retweets and etc and don't expect any negative to come their way. Social media is a great platform to promote yourself but with it you expose yourself to those that feel the need to beat up on someone that they know nothing about. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It does not have to be true but they will still use it so it would be better off for the fans not to add fuel to it.

Its just easier today with technology. If you don't think coaches  used Knights antics against him that is crazy. Its just at our finger tips and makes internet tough guys out of people who have lives that suck and have no idea how to find joy other than ripping someone else on social media. Most are not fans of the University that pretend to support. Just looking for the wow factor.

56 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

You guys have all lost your minds when it comes to recruiting if you really think anonymous people on social media are affecting where these kids go.

"My dream school is IU, so I hate Turdue and fUK. Wait, just received a tweet from an IU fan that I didn't like. Guess I'm off to fUK now!":panic:

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I appreciate it!! Got to get something right today might as well be a message board discussion.  Most people on social media are for lack of a better word attention whores. Check the likes and so on and its all about me. That is the society we live in with it also comes the bad. You cant just take the good and ignore the bad. These recruits want 1000's of like and retweets and etc and don't expect any negative to come their way. Social media is a great platform to promote yourself but with it you expose yourself to those that feel the need to beat up on someone that they know nothing about. 

Keep preaching brother.......I got your back.

I don't go on twitter or face book but have seen what is said there and to me that puts a very bad light on this fan base.

I've been lucky enough to be close to a couple of recruitments. At no time was the fanbases facebook or twitter a factor. It was ALWAYS about the coaches, facilities, team success, opportunity or playing time, etc

I don't go on twitter or face book but have seen what is said there and to me that puts a very bad light on this fan base.

You pay attention because you are a fan of Indiana University, those things are said about plenty of others but it does not effect us so we pay little to no attention. 

Look, mister, there’s… two kinds of dumb, uh… guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don’t matter, the second one you’re kinda forced to deal with. 

When talking about other fanbase it doe not matter to us but when its ours we notice, hence the reason that we are discussing it today.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You pay attention because you are a fan of Indiana University, those things are said about plenty of others but it does not effect us so we pay little to no attention. 

Look, mister, there’s… two kinds of dumb, uh… guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don’t matter, the second one you’re kinda forced to deal with. 

When talking about other fanbase it doe not matter to us but when its ours we notice, hence the reason that we are discussing it today.

You are right I couldn't care less what other fan bases do but I do care how our fans react to things and I don't like what I see.  Just because other fans don't care if their team cheats, Look at SEC fans doesn't mean we should do the same thing.  I want our fan base to be above what other fans do and how they react to losses or how they interact with recruits.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You are right I couldn't care less what other fan bases do but I do care how our fans react to things and I don't like what I see.  Just because other fans don't care if their team cheats, Look at SEC fans doesn't mean we should do the same thing.  I want our fan base to be above what other fans do and how they react to losses or how they interact with recruits.

I agree with that but its not going to happen unfortunately. Rotten apples in every bunch some just get exposed more than others.  There are a lot of people that like seeing Indiana down. 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with that but its not going to happen unfortunately. Rotten apples in every bunch some just get exposed more than others.  There are a lot of people that like seeing Indiana down. 

Pretty sure we agree with a lot of this discussion but probably differ on how much it hurts recruiting.

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The thing is nobody knows if those rotten apples are even IU fans.   It's pretty easy for an opposing team to come here(twitter or wherever)and pretend to be an IU fan.  Heck a lot of people were convinced Donavon was gonna be our coach by some dickweed from UK or PU.

Go Hoosiers!!!

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty sure we agree with a lot of this discussion but probably differ on how much it hurts recruiting.

I think there is a list of things that hurt recruiting, fan base angst is on the list but it is probably below program success, player success in NBA, perception of how players are used, style of play, facilities, etc.

2 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

You guys have all lost your minds when it comes to recruiting if you really think anonymous people on social media are affecting where these kids go.

Exactly.  People need to think about what they are saying.  High level college basketball recruits are not making decisions based on anonymous Twitter trolls.  That is just beyond ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think there is a list of things that hurt recruiting, fan base angst is on the list but it is probably below program success, player success in NBA, perception of how players are used, style of play, facilities, etc.

I don't know because some of your buddies on rivals sure does not help this fan base.

We are aware that most some things on social media are total BS spouted by trolls.  Why are we operating under the premise that these kids/families aren't aware of the same? Hell, older teenagers are more social media savvy than most of us. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

"My dream school is IU, so I hate Turdue and fUK. Wait, just received a tweet from an IU fan that I didn't like. Guess I'm off to fUK now!":panic:

THIS.  I’m sick of these diva recruits searching for their names on Twitter and going out of their way to single out alleged “IU fans” saying dumb stuff when literally every single fanbase of a major program has fans that say the same things or much worse.  If it bothers him that much then he can just move on... But I’m sure he’d rather leverage the IU fanbase for hype around his recruitment like Garland, Brooks, etc., etc.  So dumb.

my god, why would anyone bash this kid for changing his OV date due to a family issue. I will never understand IU "fans" tweeting ANYTHING negative. That person has literally no idea what is going on with Lester's family and to accuse him of just using us for popularity is extremely disheartening. Tell the kid you wish his family well and hope he enjoys his IU visit.

i just hope that this kid is a rational enough thinker to realize that one person doesn't represent an entire fan base (that tweet makes me nervous he's blending us all together). If you look at his last two tweets the responses he gets from IU fans is 99.99% positive. I don't like that he's allowed himself to focus on the one negative tweet. It would suck if he doesn't give IU a fair shot over this because he's easily our most important recruit.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

my god, why would anyone bash this kid for changing his OV date due to a family issue. I will never understand IU "fans" tweeting ANYTHING negative. That person has literally no idea what is going on with Lester's family and to accuse him of just using us for popularity is extremely disheartening. Tell the kid you wish his family well and hope he enjoys his IU visit.

i just hope that this kid is a rational enough thinker to realize that one person doesn't represent an entire fan base (that tweet makes me nervous he's blending us all together). If you look at his last two tweets the responses he gets from IU fans is 99.99% positive. I don't like that he's allowed himself to focus on the one negative tweet. It would suck if he doesn't give IU a fair shot over this because he's easily our most important recruit.

If he's actually getting tripped up over something like this...pass. But I don't think he meant it in a snarky way to IU fanbase...just to the individual.

Ok, I've already spent more time than I should analyzing this tweet.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Your high level point that fans shouldn't act like idiots on Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc., is 100% spot on. I don't think anybody disagrees with that. Where you're losing most of us is extrapolating that to the point of saying that fans on social media are costing IU recruits. That just doesn't really make any sense whatsoever. 

It would only make sense if the schools we were competing against for these recruits didn't have the exact same things going on. Again with the Brooks example, UK fans are 1000 times worse than IU fans on social media. I'd buy Brooks didn't go to IU partly because of the fans if he had spurned IU for Evansville or Fort Wayne or something like that because he wanted to try to avoid the fan spotlight/ridicule, but he didn't. He passed on IU for a school where the spotlight and fan ridicule is infinitely worse and more difficult. 

I think we’re all taking jabs at kids’/families’ intelligence levels when we suggest that one (or a small minority) clown who may or may not be an IU fan can sway their decision. Anybody on here think these families are really that stupid? If the kid and family are, then go somewhere else. If this is indeed true, then why does UK continue to get top 5 recruiting classes every year? There are way more clowns like that in the UK fan base than there are in the IU fan base from what I see. If your answer is anything draft related or winning related, then you answered the more important issue. I know Lester Quinones is smart enough to understand the foolishness. I think we need to stop making excuses for losing out on recruits.  With that said, adults that do this need to get a life. 

Archived