Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Hoosierdave

Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Archie and staff made a HUGE impression.  Not saying he’s IU bound but it’s 50/50 at this point.  He realizes there is a chance he could be recruited over at Memphis too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

From that Zags article, I got a DJ Carton vibe. Remember, everyone thought Carton was between Michigan and IU and then he took that last visit to OSU. What he said about that visit is that he felt a family atmosphere and that he really bonded with the players. 

Im not saying Quinones picks IU by any means, but that’s twice now I’ve heard him comment about how well he bonded with the players at IU and then the Zags article tonight also mentioned “family” with IU. 

I’d still guess Memphis, but those quotes do sound promising. 

• Like 7

IF he picks IU, IMO this would be Archie’s best recruiting job yet. He would have pulled this off after getting in late, coming off a bad season, and what looked to be clear favorites already established. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

IF he picks IU, IMO this would be Archie’s best recruiting job yet. He would have pulled this off after getting in late, coming off a bad season, and what looked to be clear favorites already established. 

It's not like Memphis killed it last year.  Lost in the 2nd round of the NIT, so if last year's record is a deciding factor (I doubt it is), it would still be a toss-up.

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's not like Memphis killed it last year.  Lost in the 2nd round of the NIT, so if last year's record is a deciding factor (I doubt it is), it would still be a toss-up.

Memphis recruited their entire class this year and the top kids from last year from the Memphis area. Olive Branch, MS is a suburb of Memphis.  Wiseman is from Memphis, Jeffries if from Memphis, Dandridge is from Memphis, and Baugh is from Memphis.  That is their 2019 class so far.  2018 kids...Harris from Memphis, Lomax from Memphis,  Boyce from Memphis, and on.  Penny is really connected to the Memphis area from a HS and AAU perspective.  He got major push from AAU coaches in the area.  Mike Miller had an AAU program in the Memphis area as well.  Memphis has always been a good program when it can recruit the city.  Just like IU and Indiana.  

24 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Memphis recruited their entire class this year and the top kids from last year from the Memphis area. Olive Branch, MS is a suburb of Memphis.  Wiseman is from Memphis, Jeffries if from Memphis, Dandridge is from Memphis, and Baugh is from Memphis.  That is their 2019 class so far.  2018 kids...Harris from Memphis, Lomax from Memphis,  Boyce from Memphis, and on.  Penny is really connected to the Memphis area from a HS and AAU perspective.  He got major push from AAU coaches in the area.  Mike Miller had an AAU program in the Memphis area as well.  Memphis has always been a good program when it can recruit the city.  Just like IU and Indiana.  

I would add that Memphis also has a very "criminal" background with numerous coaches.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I would add that Memphis also has a very "criminal" background with numerous coaches.

"criminal"? what does that mean?

3 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

"criminal"? what does that mean?

NCAA sanctions.

36 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Sounds like the whole roster is Memphis.  A New York kid would be a bad fit.:coffee:

4 hours ago, rico said:

The stench of Dana Kirk and John Calapari lingers. And in Kirk's case, it was criminal

2019 was a strange recruiting class. Started with autolocks and since? Well let's just say it feels like we've been bouncing from kid to kid. I'm glad LQ had some nice things to say but right now Memphis has the momentum that a program like IU should have had going into 2nd full recruiting cycle. I don't expect a yes with LQ.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The stench of Dana Kirk and John Calapari lingers. And in Kirk's case, it was criminal

In Kirk's case, it was criminal.  In Calipari's case.....it probably was criminal, but he makes John Gotti look like an amateur when it comes to covering his tracks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like the whole roster is Memphis.  A New York kid would be a bad fit.:coffee:

This recruitment would have been a great time for Devonte to show some leadership as a fellow New Yorker. Would like to think he helped 

Quinones would be a real difference maker for us.  CAM has shored up our defensive problem which was guarding bigs as he went out and got Brunk and Jackson-Davis.  If any one of these guys or as a group can own the defensive boards, our defense will likely be elite.

Quinones can get his own shot, and he is very good from deep.  Although he doesn't have the play making ability of Yogi, he is much more advanced than Yogi as a freshman from deep.  He should fill our need for a shooter to open up the floor half-court which was our main offensive problem last year.  With him Green and an improved from deep RP (or Anderson, etc.) shooting from deep could become a strength.  He can also get to the basket.

I'm feeling this is a smokescreen to keep people guessing.  I think he will be a Memphis Tiger.  I'm not getting any hopes up, done that too much the last 3 months.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Quinones would be a real difference maker for us.  CAM has shored up our defensive problem which was guarding bigs as he went out and got Brunk and Jackson-Davis.  If any one of these guys or as a group can own the defensive boards, our defense will likely be elite.

Quinones can get his own shot, and he is very good from deep.  Although he doesn't have the play making ability of Yogi, he is much more advanced than Yogi as a freshman from deep.  He should fill our need for a shooter to open up the floor half-court which was our main offensive problem last year.  With him Green and an improved from deep RP (or Anderson, etc.) shooting from deep could become a strength.  He can also get to the basket.

And Hunter

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And Hunter

He's "etc.", and we really can't count on him at this time.  However, if he does have an impact, it is gravy.

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

He's "etc.", and we really can't count on him at this time.  However, if he does have an impact, it is gravy.

Fair that we can't necessarily count on him as he didn't play, but he's not just "etc." in my book. He was right there behind Romeo coming into the season, had just won a gold jersey, and he can flat out shoot.

21 minutes ago, slojoe said:

If you’re saying that purely from a health point of view I totally get it. But if it’s a “idk if he has the skill set to help a lot...” that might be a reach. I’d be SHOCKED if he doesn’t come in (if heathy) and immediately average in double figures.

1 hour ago, Hoosier98 said:

I'm feeling this is a smokescreen to keep people guessing.  I think he will be a Memphis Tiger.  I'm not getting any hopes up, done that too much the last 3 months.

I expect him to pick Memphis too, but I don't think this is a smokescreen situation. I think Archie, IU and the current players really made an impression on Quinones and his family. 

If he picks Memphis, I hope we don't do that thing where we claim the kid dragged IU along just to build suspense or his brand. I know that happens, but I really don't think it's the case in this one. 

• Like 3