Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a former NBA player on our staff or a coach that is known for getting players to the league. That’s what these kids want to hear now days. It’s part of recruiting and it’s not just the top 15 kids wanting to hear it. I’m not wanting to bend the rules like many do, I just want Indiana to be a destination not a consolation prize.

23 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unfortunately the Indiana kids also don't want to go to Indiana anymore

I guess Rob, Romeo, Anderson, Trayce, Franklin, and Brunk are not true Indiana kids.  Thats just the last two classes.  Not to mention Prudue and MSU got guys that IU was on and it was who took the scholarship first and Franklin and Anderson beat the other two Indiana kids.

This is a false statement.  

54 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unfortunately the Indiana kids also don't want to go to Indiana anymore

We have really only missed one Indiana kid we really went after in Brooks.  We have these players on our roster right now from Indiana.

RP

Anderson

TJD

Franklin

Brunk

1987: 3/15 in-state
1976: 6/13 in-state

Currently (Excluding Romeo, Including Green): 5/11 scholarship players are from in-state.  6/12 if you include Childress (preferred walk-on). 

Taking a different look at it, players from IN/IL/OH:

1987: 9/15
1976: 12/13
Currently: 7/11 (8/12)

I'm sure there are other years where it was much more Indiana-heavy, but I just grabbed 2 noteworthy years off the top of my head.  Either way, geographic origin of our roster is pretty much in line with history. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

1987: 3/15 in-state
1976: 6/13 in-state

Currently (Excluding Romeo, Including Green): 5/11 scholarship players are from in-state.  6/12 if you include Childress (preferred walk-on). 

Taking a different look at it, players from IN/IL/OH:

1987: 9/15
1976: 12/13
Currently: 7/11 (8/12)

I'm sure there are other years where it was much more Indiana-heavy, but I just grabbed 2 noteworthy years off the top of my head.  Either way, geographic origin of our roster is pretty much in line with history. 

92-3 the last time we were truly consistently elite we were 2/3 Hoosier. The last time we were ranked number one we had 3/5 of the starters from IU (Zeller, Hulls, Yogi).  Being from Indiana is not a precondition to appreciating what the jersey represents (Durham, Oladipo, Moye, Reynolds), but it certainly helps.

Also, fans generally find it easier to root for (and forgive) players from the state. I like the direction the team is taking.

3 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Also, fans generally find it easier to root for (and forgive) players from the state. I like the direction the team is taking.

Can't speak for everyone, but personally, I 100% disagree with that. 

24 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Let the kid pick in 2 days.. Jezzz. Recruiting is fine. You win some you lose some. The way it has always been and the way it will always be.

Is it fine?  We went from the 10th ranked class in 2018 to the 49th ranked class in 2019 after fans spent the whole season bemoaning the lack of talent on the team.  Since TJD committed, we’ve missed on every single one of our targets except a bench player from Butler, and haven’t signed any players that can help with our single biggest need (shooting).  This time next week, we’re likely to be in Jeremiah April/Tim Priller territory for 2019 with two open scholarships.  And we just lost out on one of our top targets in a weak 2020 class to Purdue.  Unless Archie pulls a rabbit out of his hat and somehow ends up landing Quinones or Watford, I don’t see how you can spin IU’s recruiting as being in a good place right now.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

We need a former NBA player on our staff or a coach that is known for getting players to the league. That’s what these kids want to hear now days. It’s part of recruiting and it’s not just the top 15 kids wanting to hear it. I’m not wanting to bend the rules like many do, I just want Indiana to be a destination not a consolation prize.

It is clear if you want to get these top guys you have to have an NBA guy on your staff. If not we need to quit going after them because we keep finishing in 2nd. 

10 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

It is clear if you want to get these top guys you have to have an NBA guy on your staff. If not we need to quit going after them because we keep finishing in 2nd. 

How many NBA coaches are on the staff of Duke or MSU or UNC and besides Cal they have no NBA guys on their bench.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many NBA coaches are on the staff of Duke or MSU or UNC and besides Cal they have no NBA guys on their bench.

They have massive histories of long term success that recruits see. IU has nothing right now. You think Memphis is landing all of this top talent because the recruits simply think Penny is a nice guy? He is not a proven winner but sells them on the NBA. 

34 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Here is your quote about having to have an NBA guy on your bench to get top players and those schools I mentioned and most others don't have NBA guys on their benches.

19 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Might be time to close the books on this class. Internal issues or not, you can't lose 12 of 13 games.

Have to win next year and that's all there is to it. Gonna be a long off-season. 

The loss of 12 out of 13 was ridiculous even if you recall the injuries.  Archie obviously didn't get the players' attention.  After about two losses, I'd suggest going into full blown intensity mode and use the bench as needed.  You don't need to toss a chair, but you have to find a way for the kids to be full throttle.  Just as one example, the loss at Northwestern was pathetic.  They were not a good team.  They had the one kid, Falconio or something similar, drill 7-8 three's walking in off the street.  

Ok, he may have surprised the staff since he had been hurt.  But after a kid hits two, you've got to get him stopped one way or another.  Our guys did not defend him with urgency, and we lost the game.  It was inexcusable.  

One of two things will happen.  We will look back at the 12/13 and think it was an outlier due to Archie having a roster largely forced upon him.  Or it will have been a bad sign that he was not ready to coach at Indiana.  Time will tell just as it did with Crean.  Crean's third year was an abomination.  We were patient and then Syracuse happened, and he went 1-19 against Wisconsin.  As more data came in, the picture crystallized.  This time, we may not wait nine years.

I have a question to all of those who are discouraged or pessimistic on Archie.  If we fire him after next year if we don't make the tournament, do you guys really believe we could get a better candidate than what Archie was 3 years ago.  Everyone who has been on this board knows I was not in favor of his hire and I wanted Marshall but we have to give him more time.  Do you guys think we could actually get an established coach from a winning power 5 conference team to leave their job and come here.  If we keep making changes then all we will be left with is up and coming coaches from mid major teams who may or may not be able to coach at this level.

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The loss of 12 out of 13 was ridiculous even if you recall the injuries.  Archie obviously didn't get the players' attention.  After about two losses, I'd suggest going into full blown intensity mode and use the bench as needed.  You don't need to toss a chair, but you have to find a way for the kids to be full throttle.  Just as one example, the loss at Northwestern was pathetic.  They were not a good team.  They had the one kid, Falconio or something similar, drill 7-8 three's walking in off the street.  

Ok, he may have surprised the staff since he had been hurt.  But after a kid hits two, you've got to get him stopped one way or another.  Our guys did not defend him with urgency, and we lost the game.  It was inexcusable.  

One of two things will happen.  We will look back at the 12/13 and think it was an outlier due to Archie having a roster largely forced upon him.  Or it will have been a bad sign that he was not ready to coach at Indiana.  Time will tell just as it did with Crean.  Crean's third year was an abomination.  We were patient and then Syracuse happened, and he went 1-19 against Wisconsin.  As more data came in, the picture crystallized.  This time, we may not wait nine years.

If Archie has another losing streak like that he will not even get a fourth year. He is going to have to prove himself in a big way this sesaon as there are no excuses anymore at this point. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question to all of those who are discouraged or pessimistic on Archie.  If we fire him after next year if we don't make the tournament, do you guys really believe we could get a better candidate than what Archie was 3 years ago.  Everyone who has been on this board knows I was not in favor of his hire and I wanted Marshall but we have to give him more time.  Do you guys think we could actually get an established coach from a winning power 5 conference team to leave their job and come here.  If we keep making changes then all we will be left with is up and coming coaches from mid major teams who may or may not be able to coach at this level.

I would hope we could get somebody who have proved they can win at a higher level like a power 5 conference. The problem wih Archie is he won at a lower level so it was kind of a roll of the dice. As of right now Holtmann looks like a far better hire than Archie. Holtmann is killing it on the recruiting trail and made the NCAA both years. 

Archived