Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Johnny Juzang is likely announcing his commitment to UK tomorrow. I’ve also heard Cal is still recruiting other guys for next years team too but can’t remember the names.

The main guy they want is Blackshear a grad transfer if he doesn’t go pro. That will further tighten up the front court that Brooks expected to contribute to.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, dgambill said:

So my question...why did you go to college? Was it to better the university and was it about what you could give back to it or was it to get the best job in your field of choice. These recruits are going to school to have the career of basketball player....to get a job (NBA)...why is that any different then going to a school for its engineering etc..you go to use the school as a jumping off to your career hoping it will get you a job...not some special motivation to give back to the university.

I agree 1,000,000 percent. I’m not a NBA fan but do not understand why people think it is a negative when a kid that is great at BASKETBALL, and has a goal of playing BASKETBALL for a living, wants to go to the NBA.  Are people pissed when a Kelly accounting major is focused on working for Ernst and Young or a Finance major wants to be an investment banker?  Would it be better if they pledged undying love to IU and proved they do not care about anything else by becoming Greek Mythology majors? How dare a talented  kid that loves basketball focus on getting a job they enjoy that could also lead to making  millions of dollars.

47 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Johnny Juzang is likely announcing his commitment to UK tomorrow.

A scouting report described him as a top-30 "shoot-first" wing who hit 43.4 percent from 3-point range on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit.

I can just hear him meeting Brooks:

"So you're the guy they brought in for practice while I set myself up for the NBA.  Thanks.  A star always needs role players and glue guys."

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I will tell you this....down here in Kentucky Brooks is an after thought...granted I don’t think they appreciate how good he can be but most don’t see him getting major minutes and the main thing they like is his versatility...but he gets no pub...he doesn’t move the needle. He will have to play great to earn time on the court...I think he can...but it won’t be easy.

Hey he can carry some of the warm ups around for the guys staying at UK one year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

26 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Hey he can carry some of the warm ups around for the guys staying at UK one year

Not so fast.  They're looking at a walk-on who carries warmups better than Brooks.  So they're recruiting over him for that, too.

32 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Not so fast.  They're looking at a walk-on who carries warmups better than Brooks.  So they're recruiting over him for that, too.

He was rated a five star manager coming out of HS and is looking to only manage one year in college and then go straight to the pros.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Don’t, not yet anyway.

I was also told it was his DADS decision not his to go to that other college. Not sure if I ever shared that or not.  

Yeah I think that seemed clear by his dad's quotes. I think he was a fallback guy since they missed on others earlier. Now they are likely bringing in others.  He may stick with them but he sure will have to earn his playing time.

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Johnny Juzang is likely announcing his commitment to UK tomorrow. I’ve also heard Cal is still recruiting other guys for next years team too but can’t remember the names.

I think mcdaniels maybe who has 85% crystal ball picks to kentucky.

5 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

This is NOT happening. Come on. Be better than this

Did I say it was happening? NO!  Said to keep an eye out.  It probably isn’t going to happen but people are talking and sometimes when there is smoke there is fire. Wonder why people don’t post stuff they hear?  Right here is your answer.  I’m going to continue to do it anyway.  Right or wrong, because most people appreciate it.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Also IF something comes of this, we don’t know if they would consider IU.  Lots of stuff still has to happen for this to happen. As I said DONT get excited yet.

This. My guess is they'd consider the G League route if he leaves fUK. They don't have to get the release from LOI that way. It is even faster than OAD they're so vocal about getting to NBA and being paid to play. Would be another mistake IMO just like picking fUK was already but probably a better choice than them in all honesty. 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It may not happen but many people know that Dad bought what Teflon John was selling but not the whole family. I dont see it happening for many reasons and 1 of which admitting a mistake

That's the hardest part. Admitting it was a mistake. Ego...especially in the world of elite level recruiting....causes so many problems and errors by the handlers and some parents. 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It may not happen but many people know that Dad bought what Teflon John was selling but not the whole family. I dont see it happening for many reasons and 1 of which admitting a mistake

Better to admit a mistake while it can still be corrected then to possibly hurt career chances down the road to save face.

There are potentially millions of dollars on the table for this kid, staying somewhere where you might not get the best chance to show what you can do could be extremely detrimental to his future earning potential.

Even after all that was said about IU fans by the family, I'd still welcome the kid back.

I find it kind of funny we are reading posts about Brooks not getting on the court at UK if they land all this other talent, because I guarantee you if the 0.001% happens and he gets out of his LOI and come to IU all we will read will be about is how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and UK will regret letting him get away.  

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Better to admit a mistake while it can still be corrected then to possibly hurt career chances down the road to save face.

There are potentially millions of dollars on the table for this kid, staying somewhere where you might not get the best chance to show what you can do could be extremely detrimental to his future earning potential.

Even after all that was said about IU fans by the family, I'd still welcome the kid back.

I am all for 2nd chances. Admitting a mistake is only 1 of the many reasons it wont happen. Hindsight being what it is if we were a fly on the wall I believe we could hear some very interesting discussion 

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I find it kind of funny we are reading posts about Brooks not getting on the court at UK if they land all this other talent, because I guarantee you if the 0.001% happens and he gets out of his LOI and come to IU all we will read will be about is how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and UK will regret letting him get away.  

To me it is the difference between playing 15 minutes a game and 30.  He is a good player either way, but at Kentucky he has a bunch of similarly good guys at his position that will cut into his time.  We have an opening for him right away with more minutes available.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am all for 2nd chances. Admitting a mistake is only 1 of the many reasons it wont happen. Hindsight being what it is if we were a fly on the wall I believe we could hear some very interesting discussion 

Was it his mistake or Dad's?  Maybe Mom decides to throw some weight around if she feels that Calipari sold them a lie.

Before LQ chooses Memphis(my opinion not insight info), appears two hard sought after targets will have been recruited over(Brooks with UK and LQ at Memphis) and may not see a substantial amount of playing time during their freshman year.  If the ultimate goal for both Brooks and LQ is to get to the NBA fast, they may need to re-evaluate their school decision.  If Brooks plays off the bench the entire season, no way he is a top 15 pick next season.  Not sure LQ could be a lottery pick after 1 season in college regardless of where he plays BUT with an ample amount of playing time that IU could offer LQ that could help LQ get into the first round. Just my thoughts.  Been quiet and just monitoring posts for a bit with work and taking care of a 3 month old.   

Archived