Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I haven't read this book -- I LOVE the movie. Time for me to sit down with the book!

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Since this topic is hopelessly off track, I'll pitch in as well.  I think the book is called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Aside from Red's casting choice, I thought the movie followed the book reasonably well but it's been awhile since I read it.

The movie is my absolute number one. I have the DVD but still watch it every time I find it channel surfing. 

...and for those of you who didn't already know, Stephen King wrote the story. Brilliant stuff a little outside his norm. Kind of like when Grisham writes about people that aren't lawyers.

It is a novella (one of 4) in Different Seasons. When watching the movie for the 1st time, I kept feeling like I had seen it before, but knew I had not. When I finally heard it was based on Stephen King's writing, I figured it out.

2 of the other 3 novellas in Different Season have also been made into movies:

The Body was adapted as Stand By Me.

Apt Pupil 

Just did a quick search and it appear the 4th one will be made into a film in 2020 - The Breathing Method. I don't remember that story at all. I read Different Seasons a few years before Shawshank came out (94)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

It is a novella (one of 4) in Different Seasons. When watching the movie for the 1st time, I kept feeling like I had seen it before, but knew I had not. When I finally heard it was based on Stephen King's writing, I figured it out.

2 of the other 3 novellas in Different Season have als made into movies:

The Body was adapted as Stand By Me.

Apt Pupil 

Just did a quick search and it appear the 4th one will be made into a film in 2020 - The Breathing Method. I don't remember that story at all. I read Different Seasons a few years before Shawshank came out (94)

Awesome, more good stories to read. 

I haven't read any Stephen King since he disappointed me with the way he wrote the last several books of The Gunslinger (Dark Tower) series. If you haven't read The Gunslinger, and the next couple books, they're great reads. He devolves into some kind of weird self-love fest over the remainder of the series, actually injecting himself into them, basically as a God, lol, but the first 3 are excellent.

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Since this topic is hopelessly off track, I'll pitch in as well.  I think the book is called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Aside from Red's casting choice, I thought the movie followed the book reasonably well but it's been awhile since I read it.

The movie is my absolute number one. I have the DVD but still watch it every time I find it channel surfing. 

...and for those of you who didn't already know, Stephen King wrote the story. Brilliant stuff a little outside his norm. Kind of like when Grisham writes about people that aren't lawyers.

You are correct my friend.  

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Awesome, more good stories to read. 

I haven't read any Stephen King since he disappointed me with the way he wrote the last several books of The Gunslinger (Dark Tower) series. If you haven't read The Gunslinger, and the next couple books, they're great reads. He devolves into some kind of weird self-love fest over the remainder of the series, actually injecting himself into them, basically as a God, lol, but the first 3 are excellent.

I have read all the Dark Tower series minus the one that was released following the series completion and inserted somewhere in the middle. The movie looked terrible so I was so disappointed I didn't even watch it. If they wanted to bring it to the screen, the Game of Thrones/HBO treatment would have been a much better route.

About 5 years back I started an ambitious endeavor to read all of his books, in release order, even re-reading anything I've previously read. I made it through 7 (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Rage, The Stand, Night Shift, and The Long Walk) before life (or maybe it was Netflix) got in the way and I haven't been reading before sleeping at night. Maybe this is the push I needed to get back to it. I'm about 25% through The Dead Zone when I quit.

7 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I have read all the Dark Tower series minus the one that was released following the series completion and inserted somewhere in the middle. The movie looked terrible so I was so disappointed I didn't even watch it. If they wanted to bring it to the screen, the Game of Thrones/HBO treatment would have been a much better route.

About 5 years back I started an ambitious endeavor to read all of his books, in release order, even re-reading anything I've previously read. I made it through 7 (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Rage, The Stand, Night Shift, and The Long Walk) before life (or maybe it was Netflix) got in the way and I haven't been reading before sleeping at night. Maybe this is the push I needed to get back to it. I'm about 25% through The Dead Zone when I quit.

"The Dead Zone"?  Forgot about that one...never read the the book, loved the movie.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the hardest part. Admitting it was a mistake. Ego...especially in the world of elite level recruiting....causes so many problems and errors by the handlers and some parents. 

Brooks could spin this and become a Hoosier Legend.   All he has to do is decommit and sign with IU.  Then say he never intended on going to UK.  His plan all along was IU but he wanted to stick it to Cal and UK.  Ohhhh and if he does it before 5pm and gets LQ to come... bonus.  And while I'm dreaming Trendon sees what's happening at IU and commits.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

12 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Brooks could spin this and become a Hoosier Legend.   All he has to do is decommit and sign with IU.  Then say he never intended on going to UK.  His plan all along was IU but he wanted to stick it to Cal and UK.  Ohhhh and if he does it before 5pm and gets LQ to come... bonus.  And while I'm dreaming Trendon sees what's happening at IU and commits.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

It would be cool but isnt Daddy Brooks sold on the cal snake oil pitch about getting his kid to the NBA in one year. 

31 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Thing is, I don’t think that Brooks cares if he’s an Indiana legend or not. He didn’t care about being a legend in Indiana high school basketball ( even though the school he left for LaLume was the Legends). He and the family feel like they have bigger fish to fry- namely to get a professional contact. I think, in their minds, if they accomplish that goal, that not being a high school or college legend will be considered a trivial non accomplishment 

29 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

It would be cool but isnt Daddy Brooks sold on the cal snake oil pitch about getting his kid to the NBA in one year. 

Might be very bottom Round 1 pick if he rides the bench and only plays say 8 mins per game. Daddy Brooks won’t like that. Lots of money lost by going towards very bottom of round 1 compared to lottery

32 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Brooks are in sticky situation. Maybe now they're realizing Cal isn't going to invest much in KBJr. Getting much playing time next season will be a challenge, but if UK lands a top 10 kid in his position in 2020 class, KBJr will be riding the pine again. But decommitment now is easier said than done. By doing so, he'd be labeled as a coward when he hasn't even stepped on the court and competed against other elite players for playing time. My 2 cents is KBJr is stuck with UK for the upcoming season, and if UK lands a high flying small forward in 2020 class, he may transfer and sit out a year. 

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Brooks are in sticky situation. Maybe now they're realizing Cal isn't going to invest much in KBJr. Getting much playing time next season will be a challenge, but if UK lands a top 10 kid in his position in 2020 class, KBJr will be riding the pine again. But decommitment now is easier said than done. By doing so, he'd be labeled as a coward when he hasn't even stepped on the court and competed against other elite players for playing time. My 2 cents is KBJr is stuck with UK for the upcoming season, and if UK lands a high flying small forward in 2020 class, he may transfer and sit out a year. 

Also if they thought IU fans were bad I can’t imagine they would hear coming from UK fans should he decommit. 

I also love how the LQ thread has been hikacked by Brooks chat so as to not have to see his actual topic back on the first page. LQ is announcing today and he’s hardly been talked about at all today. 😂

27 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Bet he's doubting that decision with Cal over recruiting his son.   Keion isn't projected 1st round next year(I don't even see him 2nd rd).   Coming off the bench in limited minutes is no way to show the NBA scouts your potential.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived