Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Hoosierdave

Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

Nope outside shooting has not been addressed at all. Next season will all hinge on if they current players can improve enough from three to get us from dead last in

t he conference to possibly somewhere in the middle. If there is no real improvement it will be a long year. 

I’m a little disappointed about not adding some obvious shooting.  Any chance Franklin can fill reasonably well?  Greene is good to get hot now and then, but it looks like Franklin is 37% career 3 point shooter - couldn’t find senior year stats.  Please tell me he can shoot.   High volume 40%+ 3 point shooters can change the game - who can do it on the roster?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I’m a little disappointed about not adding some obvious shooting.  Any chance Franklin can fill reasonably well?  Greene is good to get hot now and then, but it looks like Franklin is 37% career 3 point shooter - couldn’t find senior year stats.  Please tell me he can shoot.   High volume 40%+ 3 point shooters can change the game - who can do it on the roster?

Franklin shot 44/112, 39% from 3 last season. 

edit: that would be 1.8/4.6 a game. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier

I spend very little time thinking about recruiting. A kid either comes to play at IU or not, I'm not going to worry about it. The only exception is Indiana recruits. I want the best Indiana talent coming to IU and when those guys go elsewhere it stings.

One thing I do expect is that any head coach at IU can take the kids he has and mold them into a winning team. That seems to be a lost art form in Bloomington.

• Like 6

We only recruited Lester for 3 months, so I refuse to be upset that he went elsewhere. If we can't land Watford, I hope the staff focuses on finding a dependable shooting grad transfer and call 2019 a wrap. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I spend very little time thinking about recruiting. A kid either comes to play at IU or not, I'm not going to worry about it. The only exception is Indiana recruits. I want the best Indiana talent coming to IU and when those guys go elsewhere it stings.

One thing I do expect is that any head coach at IU can take the kids he has and mold them into a winning team. That seems to be a lost art form in Bloomington.

This isn't a shot at you or your thoughts. I was that way for years too (not the recruiting part). Problem is we've lost on both. When we were IU it didn't matter because we had the confidence and arrogance to understand our guys will beat whoever. That was lost around 2000. We've had sniffs of it with 4-5 good to really good years over the last 2 decades but boy....I sure do miss it. Here's one silver lining. If things don't work this time with trying to get the up and coming coach. The only option our university we love so much after this is to back up the Brinks truck. 

• Like 1

We may have dodged a bullet. Michigan radio has been mentioning how this recruitment is dirty and that’s why they cancelled on LQ. If he had came to IU, surely they would have turned in their rival. Similar to OSU turning in Bruce Pearl for recruiting violations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

We only recruited Lester for 3 months, so I refuse to be upset that he went elsewhere. If we can't land Watford, I hope the staff focuses on finding a dependable shooting grad transfer and call 2019 a wrap. 

Watford has been a no since 2018. I'm not sure why anyone has hope for him. In the words of BB...I'm onto 2020. Haha.

• Like 1

Just now, Feathery said:

We may have dodged a bullet. Michigan radio has been mentioning how this recruitment is dirty and that’s why they cancelled on LQ. If he had came to IU, surely they would have turned in their rival. Similar to OSU turning in Bruce Pearl for recruiting violations. 

Not sure what's more interesting. They cancelling or we kept our visit after that....if in fact the speculation is true. Considering Michigan has been historically the king of dirty I'll say it's sour grapes for them . 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what's more interesting. They cancelling or we kept our visit after that....if in fact the speculation is true. Considering Michigan has been historically the king of dirty I'll say it's sour grapes for them . 

Beilien has been voted by his peers as the cleanest coach in the game. Sure Fab 5 Michigan was dirty. Beilien era, doubtful. He just develops players. 

After that cancellation I was watching this recruitment as a barometer to how much of the game are we playing. Are we at the Crean level of recruiting in the grey, have we advanced to a darker shade of grey, are we to the Sean Miller level?  Seems like we are still at the Crean level. For the get old stay old philosophy, that should suffice. 

Edited by Feathery

3 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

Addition by subtraction = 3 point shooting percentage will go up. Bank on it.

If they move back the 3pt line I bet we don’t shoot better. We have marginal shooters from deep at best...we don’t have deep shooters...we need someone to start shooting corner 3s.

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Beilien has been voted by his peers as the cleanest coach in the game. Sure Fab 5 Michigan was dirty. Beilien era, doubtful. He just develops players. 

After that cancellation I was watching this recruitment as a barometer to how much of the game are we playing. Are we at the Crean level of recruiting in the grey, have we advanced to a darker shade of grey, are we to the Sean Miller level?  Seems like we are still at the Crean level. For the get old stay old philosophy, that should suffice. 

And that's the weird part....it's not like JB was the cleanest guy in the world coming out of West Virginia and certainly hiring our old buddy Jeff Meyer shows or showed he was willing to get into the grey area. Shoot he hired long time family friend and former Illinois St assistant coach to his staff just to get DJ Carton (which didn't work). He's not as clean as most think. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the weird part....it's not like JB was the cleanest guy in the world coming out of West Virginia and certainly hiring our old buddy Jeff Meyer shows or showed he was willing to get into the grey area. Shoot he hired long time family friend and former Illinois St assistant coach to his staff just to get DJ Carton (which didn't work). He's not as clean as most think. Just my 2 cents. 

Isn’t that former Illinois st assistant the same guy that has transformed their defense into one of the best in the country, from a middling defense? I thought that was the reason they got him, the Carton connection was just a bonus. 

34 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Are we at the Crean level of recruiting in the grey, have we advanced to a darker shade of grey, are we to the Sean Miller level?

Darker shade of grey? Isn't that one of the bondage novels that all the middle-aged women love? :coffee:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Darker shade of grey? Isn't that one of the bondage novels that all the middle-aged women love? :coffee:

Lol. Darker Shade if Grey: The Archie Miller Story. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Lol. Darker Shade if Grey: The Archie Miller Story. 

Look up Gilbert Gottfried reads 50 Shades Of Grey on YouTube and thank me later. I'd post the link but it's obviously NSFW. Lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Isn’t that former Illinois st assistant the same guy that has transformed their defense into one of the best in the country, from a middling defense? I thought that was the reason they got him, the Carton connection was just a bonus. 

Luke was hired to get DJ. Let's not get it twisted. Google articles say one thing. Those in the know understand another. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Luke was hired to get DJ. Let's not get it twisted. Google articles say one thing. Those in the know understand another. 

I follow Michigan football as much as IU basketball, maybe even more. I listen to their main recruiting analyst podcast that covers both basketball and football for them, and all they have talked about is this guys defensive coaching. I think it was a winning situation either way for them. Worst case they got a great defensive assistant. 

Edited by Feathery

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

If they move back the 3pt line I bet we don’t shoot better. We have marginal shooters from deep at best...we don’t have deep shooters...we need someone to start shooting corner 3s.

Maybe Joey 🤷‍♂️

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and basketball court

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

I follow Michigan football as much as IU basketball, maybe even more. I listen to their main recruiting analyst podcast that covers both basketball and football for them, and all they have talked about is this guys defensive coaching. I think it was a winning situation either way for them. Worst case they got a great defensive assistant. 

OSU is UMs daddy

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

OSU is UMs daddy

Some of my best friends are IU basketball and OSU football fans. When we were in high school michigan was OSU’s daddy. It’s was a rough decade (2000’s). The last decade they have mellowed bc they feel bad (2010’s). Even worse. Lol. I will say they are worried now that Urb retired. 

Edited by Feathery
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Muckraker said:

Watford has been a no for a long time. I'm told the staff has been looking at some grad transfers but were waiting on LQ. Lets see what happens in the next week here.

• Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Watford has been a no for a long time. I'm told the staff has been looking at some grad transfers but were waiting on LQ. Lets see what happens in the next week here.

Do you think we can assume or have you heard if they’re shooters?