Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

It's apparent that many here will never be convinced that bad fan behavior can cost a school a recruit or that a player swayed by such behavior is too mentally weak to play for IU anyway.  I get all that.  Don't really agree with it, but I get that point of view.

At the same time, I've seen multiple recruits take notice of bad fan behavior.  "Every school has them!"  Sure, but every recruit may or may not interact with another school's bad apples.  Maybe a competing school is doing well during a player's recruitment so the bad apples lay dormant, giving an impressionable recruit the idea that competitor's fanbase isn't as bad as IU's fanbase.  I'm also not buying that 17-18 -year-old recruits are supposed to be mentally battle-hardened to not be bothered by "adults" spewing all manner of vile stuff in their direction for whatever reason.  I've seen college kids ready to graduate crying over a tough loss.  Even IU players have referenced IU's "crazy" fanbase, mostly in a good way, but you can bet they've all had at least a couple of negative fan experiences during their time in Bloomington.  Fan favorite Cody Zeller had fake drunk bathroom pics circulated during his stay.  No doubt, he had a good laugh over them, but it just goes to show that no player is really protected at IU.

Kids that really love IU will still choose IU, but what about the rest?  What about the Juwan Morgans and Thomas Bryants who didn't grow up loving IU basketball?  Do we really want to ignore the possibility that a bad fan experience may be the tipping point in the decision of a top prospect who didn't necessarily grow up a fan of IU basketball?  I don't believe anyone can really say with absolute certainty that IU fans behaving badly have never cost IU basketball a good recruit.  We keep saying a recruit picked Kentucky because said recruit was all about being a one & done.  I believe that...he actually admitted it in the interview.  At the same time, I do not believe that crazy IU fan behavior had zero impact on his decision, especially since his family went out of their way to mention bad IU fan behavior to a national recruiting expert.  No, I don't think that was the tipping point for that recruit, but some recruiting battles are much closer and can be swayed by seemingly insignificant factors.  I guess I simply don't understand dismissing such behavior as common and harmless when I'm not convinced that it doesn't have the ability to cost IU quality recruits who are on the fence.

That's all I've got.  This is just a stalemate where neither side will likely convince the other.  I just wish some IU fans would think before they open their mouths or hit send.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, graduated in 1995 from IU East.  You might want to get some help with that mental issue you are going through.  I thought you were leaving this board yet here you are.  You fit better over at the rivals board because you mentality are a match.

Don't stoop to that level scott. Stay above it, friend.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's apparent that many here will never be convinced that bad fan behavior can cost a school a recruit or that a player swayed by such behavior is too mentally weak to play for IU anyway.  I get all that.  Don't really agree with it, but I get that point of view.

At the same time, I've seen multiple recruits take notice of bad fan behavior.  "Every school has them!"  Sure, but every recruit may or may not interact with another school's bad apples.  Maybe a competing school is doing well during a player's recruitment so the bad apples lay dormant, giving an impressionable recruit the idea that competitor's fanbase isn't as bad as IU's fanbase.  I'm also not buying that 17-18 -year-old recruits are supposed to be mentally battle-hardened to not be bothered by "adults" spewing all manner of vile stuff in their direction for whatever reason.  I've seen college kids ready to graduate crying over a tough loss.  Even IU players have referenced IU's "crazy" fanbase, mostly in a good way, but you can bet they've all had at least a couple of negative fan experiences during their time in Bloomington.  Fan favorite Cody Zeller had fake drunk bathroom pics circulated during his stay.  No doubt, he had a good laugh over them, but it just goes to show that no player is really protected at IU.

Kids that really love IU will still choose IU, but what about the rest?  What about the Juwan Morgans and Thomas Bryants who didn't grow up loving IU basketball?  Do we really want to ignore the possibility that a bad fan experience may be the tipping point in the decision of a top prospect who didn't necessarily grow up a fan of IU basketball?  I don't believe anyone can really say with absolute certainty that IU fans behaving badly have never cost IU basketball a good recruit.  We keep saying a recruit picked Kentucky because said recruit was all about being a one & done.  I believe that...he actually admitted it in the interview.  At the same time, I do not believe that crazy IU fan behavior had zero impact on his decision, especially since his family went out of their way to mention bad IU fan behavior to BRIAN SNOW A KNOWN ANTI-IU national recruiting expert.  No, I don't think that was the tipping point for that recruit, but some recruiting battles are much closer and can be swayed by seemingly insignificant factors.  I guess I simply don't understand dismissing such behavior as common and harmless when I'm not convinced that it doesn't have the ability to cost IU quality recruits who are on the fence.

That's all I've got.  This is just a stalemate where neither side will likely convince the other.  I just wish some IU fans would think before they open their mouths or hit send.

Fixed it for you

48 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think FKIM01 needs to be the proctor for said punctuation school. He was talking ellipses the other day....

For God's sake, no...I see how 'that guy" gets treated. 😂😂😂

...and besides...I was pointing out...my own...failure...

Are these 4-5 pages because of the tweet from someone claiming to be an IU fan? Just making sure there isn't something else. Educated guess is if Michigan is losing all those guys Lester got wind of it from coaching staff and made some changes. We'll see if the kid was telling the truth about it getting rescheduled. Not to play devils advocate but when visits get rearranged at this late date in recruiting they rarely get made up. 

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Are these 4-5 pages because of the tweet from someone claiming to be an IU fan? Just making sure there isn't something else. Educated guess is if Michigan is losing all those guys Lester got wind of it from coaching staff and made some changes. We'll see if the kid was telling the truth about it getting rescheduled. Not to play devils advocate but when visits get rearranged at this late date in recruiting they rarely get made up. 

That's right.  Just no need for so-called "adults" to be calling out the kid and accusing him of not really being interested in IU.  I went back and looked and the fool apparently thought better of it and deleted his tweet:

This was Lester's original tweet:

If I were laying odds, I would speculate that IU is out of it, but you always give the kid the benefit of the doubt until they prove they don't deserve it.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Kids that really love IU will still choose IU, but what about the rest?  What about the Juwan Morgans and Thomas Bryants who didn't grow up loving IU basketball?  Do we really want to ignore the possibility that a bad fan experience may be the tipping point in the decision of a top prospect who didn't necessarily grow up a fan of IU basketball?  I don't believe anyone can really say with absolute certainty that IU fans behaving badly have never cost IU basketball a good recruit.  We keep saying a recruit picked Kentucky because said recruit was all about being a one & done.  I believe that...he actually admitted it in the interview.  At the same time, I do not believe that crazy IU fan behavior had zero impact on his decision, especially since his family went out of their way to mention bad IU fan behavior to a national recruiting expert.  No, I don't think that was the tipping point for that recruit, but some recruiting battles are much closer and can be swayed by seemingly insignificant factors.  I guess I simply don't understand dismissing such behavior as common and harmless when I'm not convinced that it doesn't have the ability to cost IU quality recruits who are on the fence.

I respect that. Just don’t agree that fan comments truly affect ? a kid’s choice. I think the coach, school, current team, chances of winning weigh a lot more heavily.  And living in Kentucky I see constant garbage like this, even with UK going to the elite 8 every year and getting top recruits consistently. Yet that doesn’t stop any kid from going there. And like I said, I THINK it is essentially calling a kid ignorant to assume he only notices poor IU fans, but not others. Maybe if a kid has gone down his list and is equal on 10+ things between two schools, he might be searching for a stupid reason to nix one. But the people he hangs with or sees every day are the people he’s gambling on, not some random fool on Twitter who he’ll never see or speak to at his time at IU. JMO. 

Geez, I go out for a few hours to burn sticks and I missed some entertainment?  LOL

And there is how fast it can happen.  A bunch of us were having a civil discussion about social media and the effects on recruiting.  Enter 1, and I repeat 1, guy comes on here spews some BS and havoc breaks out.  

No big deal to us regular members, but it created work for the Mod Squad.  1 idiot typing on a keyboard.  JSMH

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Geez, I go out for a few hours to burn sticks and I missed some entertainment?  LOL

And there is how fast it can happen.  A bunch of us were having a civil discussion about social media and the effects on recruiting.  Enter 1, and I repeat 1, guy comes on here spews some BS and havoc breaks out.  

No big deal to us regular members, but it created work for the Mod Squad.  1 idiot typing on a keyboard.  JSMH

“Burning sticks “ is code, right?

😛

Archived