Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I was watching everything go down before I left work, and although I feel confident in my grammar usage, I had to dust off the old thesaurus and try to find a pithy comeback involving word hilljack.... I got nothing 

Well I am by no means "Professor Grammar".  Nor am I "Doctor Syntax".  But I played several games of Scrabble over the week-end.  Hilljack is not a word....but it fits right in there with jackwagon.

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys, I will handle the ban. Sorry to our members who had to deal with this silliness. But let's just get back on topic and move no.   :)

I thought it was just a clever example of how a fan can affect the outcome of recruiting.?!

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I was playing Scrabble once, and my Mom broke out the word "shittah."

I looked it up, and I'll be damned if it isn't a tree in lsrael.

I'd have guessed a Boston toilet.

Mom had few equals at Scrabble.

Yo mamma ain't played me yet.......btw, "shittah" sounds like some Islamic revolution.  Just sayin'

41 minutes ago, Bob said:

Ok what’s the scoop on Lester? 

This is a Lester thread.....when did hilljack morph into Lester?  Dang, I need to pay attention.  No worries.  HTD will be along soon and talk about Boilermaker scrabble.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Ok what’s the scoop on Lester? 

Bob, IMO, Lester is very unlikely to IU.  He canceled a visit this weekend due to "family matters", which either means there is a genuine family crisis (unlikely) or that Lester is starting to pare his list down and IU did not make the cut (much more likely).  IF Lester reschedules his IU visit later, then we owe Lester an apology for doubting him and we owe his family best wishes for a speedy resolution to whatever the issue is/was.  If Lester ultimately announces without rescheduling his visit, then we'll know that the "family matters" excuse was likely a way of moving on and letting IU down gently.

14 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Fixed it for you

Speaking of your fix....did you see Brian Snow and Keion's Mom Sarita acting all in the comments of Keion's tweet yesterday. I'll say this again and again. When Snow posts something that is a slant against IU pay attention....he's being used as a voice box for recruits or in this case their parents for years...and honestly he seems to enjoy it.

Still can't believe the other site would employ a guy like that to work on IU information.  Not that hard to see his stance on IU over the years.

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Assuming Lester does reschedule his visit, IU I would think would be a real possibility.  If this kid is as good as a shooter as lots of people have said I could see him playing lots of minutes right away, especially if he is at the very minimum an average defender. 

That's the part I'm struggling with right now. We have immediate needs. Immediate playing time. All these incredible resources, exposure, facilities,etc....and still having trouble filling these last few spots. Maybe I'm just off but I'm getting the sense we miss on a couple of these shooters we need. Can't stress enough how important these next few weeks are to Archie. He and his staff have to close out with some recruiting mojo. End of year 2 headed into year 3....this is when opposing coaches can officially start using film and player performance against you. 

We still have the new coach shine but that window is closing. Needs to close on a couple of these guys, add some wins next year and build that momentum for the 2021 in state class that has elite level guys. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I'm struggling with right now. We have immediate needs. Immediate playing time. All these incredible resources, exposure, facilities,etc....and still having trouble filling these last few spots. Maybe I'm just off but I'm getting the sense we miss on a couple of these shooters we need. Can't stress enough how important these next few weeks are to Archie. He and his staff have to close out with some recruiting mojo. End of year 2 headed into year 3....this is when opposing coaches can officially start using film and player performance against you. 

We still have the new coach shine but that window is closing. Needs to close on a couple of these guys, add some wins next year and build that momentum for the 2021 in state class that has elite level guys. 

Agree 100% with this above.  I think we def need to hit on Brunk and either Beverley or Quinones(I prefer this kid due to his better shooting) for sure.  I think Brunk shores up a big down low that will get a good run and Quinones WILL play lots of minutes.  I am anxious for these next few weeks.  I haven't been on as much the last few weeks but its nice to see the Brunk and Lester news.

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Agree 100% with this above.  I think we def need to hit on Brunk and either Beverley or Quinones(I prefer this kid due to his better shooting) for sure.  I think Brunk shores up a big down low that will get a good run and Quinones WILL play lots of minutes.  I am anxious for these next few weeks.  I haven't been on as much the last few weeks but its nice to see the Brunk and Lester news.

What are Lester Q 3 point shooting percentages in high school and aau ?

49 minutes ago, Cutter said:

What are Lester Q 3 point shooting percentages in high school and aau ?

Quinones shot 39 percent last season on 7.7 attempts per game, while also averaging 17 points overall. He also shot 40 percent or better in three different mid-range spots on the floor. He shoots 48 percent from the top left of the key, 40 from the right and 58 percent from the right baseline. (Shooting numbers courtesy UMHoops.com ($)

10 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Quinones shot 39 percent last season on 7.7 attempts per game, while also averaging 17 points overall. He also shot 40 percent or better in three different mid-range spots on the floor. He shoots 48 percent from the top left of the key, 40 from the right and 58 percent from the right baseline. (Shooting numbers courtesy UMHoops.com ($)

Thanks very informative. Comparing Archie and John B styles I would have to unfortunately feel Lester Q would be more attracted to Michigan. Hopefully Archie will improve his offense to more up tempo or I can see us finishing second in a lot of recruiting battles. These first two years have been unimpressive to say the least and I hope Archie does not loose any more momentum and has a good year next year. Again as the roster stands today I don’t see that.  We need to make significant improvements on the roster and pretty much everywhere else. 

8 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Thanks very informative. Comparing Archie and John B styles I would have to unfortunately feel Lester Q would be more attracted to Michigan. Hopefully Archie will improve his offense to more up tempo or I can see us finishing second in a lot of recruiting battles. These first two years have been unimpressive to say the least and I hope Archie does not loose any more momentum and has a good year next year. Again as the roster stands today I don’t see that.  We need to make significant improvements on the roster and pretty much everywhere else. 

I think my preference at this point would be to add two grad transfers (Brunk and a guard/wing that can shoot) and then Windham. I'm not usually a big grad transfer guy, but I don't think this roster needs two more freshmen. Plus that way you're adding players that can impact next season and you can then even potentially redshirt Windham. 

Although where the issue comes into play and kind of hamstrings Archie a bit is that he's got a bunch of above average players that in my opinion aren't good enough to make your team really, really good, but are just good enough to make a grad transfer not want to come.

For example, our backcourt is currently Phinisee, Green, Durham, Franklin and Anderson. Not a bad group, but also not a high level group either. But as a grad transfer you look at that and you know Phinisee is starting, Durham just started basically his entire sophomore season and Green is a senior who has been a starter. I think this could be a really good team with a grad transfer at the 2 and Green/Durham coming off the bench, but would that work from a chemistry perspective and would a grad transfer want to deal with that?

Archie is in a really interesting spot with this roster. A lot of questions marks, a lot of unproven guys, and a lot of guys that have played minutes but at the same time haven't really seized the opportunity (Green, Smith, etc.). Not sure what you do with that?

Archived