Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

So I am not sure why but I really like the prospect of getting LQ.  I was watching some of his videos and it appears he can shoot the ball but also appears to be able to run the break and go strong to the rim.  With any highlight real always question competition and never know what they will end up like once they get here (I think we all thought Anderson would bring more shooting than he has) but this kid could be exactly what the team needs next year.

He plays at IMG Academy. Competition isn't an issue. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think Bilas was av MBA player or a senior in his 3rd year because he started on their 86 final four team.  Mark Alarie might be who you were thinking of being an NBA player but he was not a senior that 3rd either.

Dawkins was drafted 10th

Alarie was drafted 18th

Henderson was drafted in the third round of the NBA and played for the 76ers for 22 games.  He spent the remainder of his career overseas. 

Engelland scored over 1,000 points for Duke and averaged 15 ppg his junior season. He became the teams third best scorer.

Bilas was the team's fifth best player.

You have three players who played in the NBA with a 1,000 point scorer and a guy that averaged 15 ppg his junior season coming back.  They won 11 games.  Having talent matters and having kids remain in your system over years matters.  Indiana has talent. It is just young.

They had talent.  It just takes time to mature and get rid of players who weren't good enough.  

2 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Dawkins was drafted 10th

Alarie was drafted 18th

Henderson was drafted in the third round of the NBA and played for the 76ers for 22 games.  He spent the remainder of his career overseas. 

Engelland scored over 1,000 points for Duke and averaged 15 ppg his junior season. He became the teams third best scorer.

Bilas was the team's fifth best player.

You have three players who played in the NBA with a 1,000 point scorer and a guy that averaged 15 ppg his junior season coming back.  They won 11 games.  Having talent matters and having kids remain in your system over years matters.  Indiana has talent. It is just young.

They had talent.  It just takes time to mature and get rid of players who weren't good enough.  

I guess I miss understood you because I thought those two were seniors on his 3rd team

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would suggest you reread my post until you realize why you are wrong

Bennett also dropped from 76th in S1, to 103rd in S2 in KPOM rankings.

Focusing on conference records is dumb, in an era of unbalanced schedules. His 2nd team was worse than his 1st. 

He started to win a few decent games in season 3, and snuck into the tourney as a 10 seed.

52 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Focusing on conference records is dumb, in an era of unbalanced schedules. His 2nd team was worse than his 1st. 

He started to win a few decent games in season 3, and snuck into the tourney as a 10 seed.

Conference records are a better indicator since a coach can control their OoC schedule to manufacture wins. Tom Crean loves to do this 

2 hours ago, twenty02 said:

Exactly.  

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Conference records are a better indicator since a coach can control their OoC schedule to manufacture wins. Tom Crean loves to do this 

Say what? Kenpom said they were worse than year 1. It is a better indicator because it dictates conference strength. Their strength of schedule was worse because the ACC was worse. Nonconference was 295 in 2010 and 293 in 2011.  Do some research.  

10 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Say what? Kenpom said they were worse than year 1. It is a better indicator because it dictates conference strength. Their strength of schedule was worse because the ACC was worse. Nonconference was 295 in 2010 and 293 in 2011.  Do some research.  

What research do I need to do. My claim that both Bennett and Wright did better in conference is a verifiable fact. I never said Bennett used the OoC just said why using overall record as bad indicator  

And let’s maybe not cite Kenpom as being this end all be all stat. It had us top 20 at one point. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What research do I need to do. My claim that both Bennett and Wright did better in conference is a verifiable fact. I never said Bennett used the OoC just said why using overall record as bad indicator  

And let’s maybe not cite Kenpom as being this end all be all stat. It had us top 20 at one point. 

It could be we were top 20 at that point, that was a different team then, but that's another thread.

I will have to watch some vids on LQ.

6 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Then what caused him to put him in his final 7 schools. This just seems a bit confusing. 

I'm guessing it's kind of a 2-way promotional thing.  He's probably had a conversation or two with the staff (no offer) and wanted to bulk up his list a bit to add some mystery.  IU is a household name, so it looks good for him to have IU as a finalist.  IU's program gets a little free publicity so Archie doesn't mind the kid listing IU even though both know there's little chance it happens.

Could also be a plan B for both parties if their expected preferences don't work out.  ("Indiana is not seriously recruiting him at this time.")

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Good call.

No one really knows and this staff is very tight lipped.  The only knowledge and tips comes from the High School kids, their families, and HS coaches and this kid is not from Indiana.  With that being said those who share tips are probably getting information; not holistic info.  Without any tips it would make recruiting forums deserts.  

Players who are playing for IU do not know what is going on with recruiting unless the staff in involves them to use connections and/or they host a recruit.  

This is probably an example of that.

Archived