Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

21 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes, our shooting is dreadful and despite what some critics post - I know the coaching staff is very aware of our "issues".  Heck, on the radio broadcast yesterday Fischer made comments of exasperation about the dumb plays by a couple of our favorite players to criticize ("..if I were Archie and I had any hair, I'd probably be pulling it all out because of plays like that".. paraphrased).  Everyone sees it.  It's pretty clear that the players aren't going to magically transform into what they aren't (exemptions for freshmen), so looking to bring in what we need is one of the solutions.  I don't know what our chances are with this young man, but I hope we're not getting in the pool too late.

“It’s pretty clear that the players aren’t going to magically transform into what they aren’t”. Evidently some think CAM should be able to transform them. Some guys are never going to be able to do certain things unfortunately. There are SO many deficiencies on this team that can’t be on CAM. I know some want adjustments to what we have, but I don’t think that’s beneficial to the future. They need to stick to the plan so the young guys get a grasp and won’t be essentially starting over next year. RP, DA, and JF need to show improvement next year (although RP has been solid for a freshman) or CAM can rightly be criticized. RT and JH need to get on the court. I think we’ll be fine if we snag Brooks and have another top class coming in. And recruiting success continues with CAM’s third class. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, I’m not one that usually speculates transfers, roster turnover etc. - but Archie is in a tough spot here, because a good portion of our fan base has unrealistic expectations for our program right now. I think Archie is feeling some heat indirectly and he’s weighing his options. I might be completely off base, but I could see at least two, maybe three transfers.

16 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Look, I’m not one that usually speculates transfers, roster turnover etc. - but Archie is in a tough spot here, because a good portion of our fan base has unrealistic expectations for our program right now. I think Archie is feeling some heat indirectly and he’s weighing his options. I might be completely off base, but I could see at least two, maybe three transfers.

I don't think expecting to win at home against mediocre to bad teams, and even good teams is unrealistic 

16 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don't think expecting to win at home against mediocre to bad teams, and even good teams is unrealistic 

I don’t disagree with you there... I was alluding to the portion that thought once we landed Romeo, we were going to be back to contending for National Championships and B1G titles with regularity. It just isn’t that easy. 

Im not going to take the injury route, but rather the lack of growth from a couple of our rotation guys and depth not living up to what we thought we had. 

53 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I don’t disagree with you there... I was alluding to the portion that thought once we landed Romeo, we were going to be back to contending for National Championships and B1G titles with regularity. It just isn’t that easy. 

Im not going to take the injury route, but rather the lack of growth from a couple of our rotation guys and depth not living up to what we thought we had. 

You can’t fault the fan base for being upset when the coach isn’t even living up to the realistic expectations. 

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

You are right there,Romeo was suppose to make IU cool again. I hope kids will still feel like that. Romeo has not met some peoples expectations.  I think some expected to much. I had not seen Romeo play in high school except highlights on the news. I was surprised that he could not shoot from distance better than he does. He scored a lot of points in high school with a limited jump shot

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You can’t fault the fan base for being upset when the coach isn’t even living up to the realistic expectations. 

Here is a question:  What is realistic? Reality is that most coaches struggle their first three years typically.  There are some that don't.  Coach K had two top 20 NBA draft picks his third season in which one was a one and done type in Dawkins, another third round NBA draft pick, Jay Bilas, and a returning senior 15 ppg scorer.  He finished 11-17. Johnny Dawkins his frosh year averaged 18 ppg, 5 rpg and 5 apg.  Again, reality is that it takes time to get your type of players in.  I hate Crean with a passion but what he said recently is true. You typically should get rid of the kids when you come in because most likely they aren't good enough or are going to take time.  There was a reason the prior coach was fired.  Problem with what Crean said is you just don't say it.  You just make the kids transfer.  IU fans need to quit being morons.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I said in another thread, this is very telling that Archie plans to “clean house”.  We know Morgan and 99.9% sure Romeo is gone.  So I’d expect at least 2 and up to 4 transfers.  I honestly hope there are some then I will regain some hope in Archie.

I agree.... Maybe Archie finally went to Glass and said, "Look, you told me I had to honor everyone's scholarship, even if I didn't recruit these boys and that it would all work out...... Well, look where we are now! I'm cleaning house at the end if this season. You deal with the low team APR! I'm gonna build this team my way......I've had enough!" 

As I understand the rules, the low APR would result only if the departing player isn’t in good academic standing. 

Regarding Glass’ bill of rights, that’s much ado about nothing.  You just tell the player he’s never going to see the light of day on the court.  Unless you’re a Priller, who was stealing money here, the player will have enough pride to leave voluntarily because they will want to play somewhere. 

Guys have got to go.  

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

You are right there,Romeo was suppose to make IU cool again. I hope kids will still feel like that. Romeo has not met some peoples expectations.  I think some expected to much. I had not seen Romeo play in high school except highlights on the news. I was surprised that he could not shoot from distance better than he does. He scored a lot of points in high school with a limited jump shot

Romeo is a stud athlete who does some things really well, but his inability to knock down the three really hamstrings this team. We thought he was going to be better than average from deep and he’s just not been very good from distance. I know CAM expected more. 

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Romeo is a stud athlete who does some things really well, but his inability to knock down the three really hamstrings this team. We thought he was going to be better than average from deep and he’s just not been very good from distance. I know CAM expected more. 

I agree 100%

2 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Here is a question:  What is realistic? Reality is that most coaches struggle their first three years typically.  There are some that don't.  Coach K had two top 20 NBA draft picks his second season in which one was a one and done type in Dawkins, another third round NBA draft pick, Jay Bilas, and a returning senior 15 ppg scorer.  He finished 11-17. Johnny Dawkins his frosh year averaged 18 ppg, 5 rpg and 5 apg.  Again, reality is that it takes time to get your type of players in.  I hate Crean with a passion but what he said recently is true. You typically should get rid of the kids when you come in because most likely they aren't good enough or are going to take time.  There was a reason the prior coach was fired.  Problem with what Crean said is you just don't say it.  You just make the kids transfer.  IU fans need to quit being morons.

Realistic expectations that Archie has failed to live up too. 

1.  Get better as the season goes on, not worse

2.  Be better in year 2 than in year 1. Especially when keeping 4 of 5 starters and replacing the other with a 5 star 

3. Control your team so that ball hogs aren’t controlling the offense. 

37 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Romeo is 11/26 (42%) from three over the last 4 games... We’re 1-3 with a loss to Rutgers and 2 home losses.  Romeo is not the issue.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Realistic expectations that Archie has failed to live up too. 

1.  Get better as the season goes on, not worse

2.  Be better in year 2 than in year 1. Especially when keeping 4 of 5 starters and replacing the other with a 5 star 

3. Control your team so that ball hogs aren’t controlling the offense. 

Again, IU fans can be idiots. Coach K had a 17-13 first year, a 10-17 second year, and a 11-17 third year.  Keeping starters means jack insert a multitude of curse words when they would be a backup at best or not playing for top 25 teams...aka Smith and Durham.  Phinisee is a frosh and a 100-150 kid and most of those kids are inconsistent and don't play or start until their JUNIOR SEASONS HISTORICALLY.  Green and Durham are 200+ kids that typically aren't a good recipe for top 25 teams.  IU fans are being idiots.  Chill out and let it happen.  Typically a coaching change with subpar talent and youth takes time.  Again Coach K, had three NBA players, Jay Bilas, and a 15 ppg returning scorer and couldn't win more than 11 games.  Disappointment is a word being used too early by idiots.  

47 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This sounds like the kind of guy who a lot of folks will be touting as part of our “depth” next year but will only play about as much as Anderson this year. 

Im not saying I’m not interested, but this is the textbook kind of guy we put to much hope in when they arrive. 

IU fans do that with every recruit when they arrive.  Hope springs eternal I guess.

I’m so tired of hearing but coach K but coach K but coach K. So the **** what  Crean fell on his face too for his first 3 years it didn’t make him coach K  And I bet K was even saying he needed to do better  

Tons of coaches succeed in their second year. Teams that keep 5 of their top 7 players shouldn’t get worse it’s just reality. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I said in another thread, this is very telling that Archie plans to “clean house”.  We know Morgan and 99.9% sure Romeo is gone.  So I’d expect at least 2 and up to 4 transfers.  I honestly hope there are some then I will regain some hope in Archie.

It does seem like the Green tweet probably was eluding to him being granted a transfer, also it is hard to believe Moore wouldn't be ready to leave as well.  I wish anybody leaving luck, but this may be best for everyone.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This sounds like the kind of guy who a lot of folks will be touting as part of our “depth” next year but will only play about as much as Anderson this year. 

Im not saying I’m not interested, but this is the textbook kind of guy we put to much hope in when they arrive. 

If Anderson was hitting outside shots, you better believe he'd be playing.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As I understand the rules, the low APR would result only if the departing player isn’t in good academic standing. 

Regarding Glass’ bill of rights, that’s much ado about nothing.  You just tell the player he’s never going to see the light of day on the court.  Unless you’re a Priller, who was stealing money here, the player will have enough pride to leave voluntarily because they will want to play somewhere. 

Guys have got to go.  

It counts against you regardless, but instead of -2 you only get a -1 if they’re in good standing.

7 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Here’s two ways to look at this...

1.) he gets rid of some people and we might get worse first...can we REALLY get worse??!!

2.) he knows that the issues with some of these are SO bad he feels a lot more confident that we can bounce back better with TRUE FRESHMAN than we can trying to mend these guys.

if #2 is what he’s thinking then he better try because if you KNOW we will suck again you gotta at least try to improve the roster.

i also think if we see a few guys transfer it’ll be more evidence that there were some “issues” going on and personally for most fans that softens this season a little bit. This season is ridiculous. If a sizeable part of this isn’t on the players Lack of chemistry wow.

33 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

IU fans do that with every recruit when they arrive.  Hope springs eternal I guess.

Fans of sports do this with recruiting. It’s not typical for most FANS of a team to assume that the recruits they have coming in all SUCK. It’s usually more fun to be a fan that is excited for things to come and hopeful things will improve and not someone who “pees on everyone’s Wheaties” 

Archived