IU Post Game Show W/Steve Risley and Collin Hartman

Hoosier30

Risley is a great dude.  I agree with his statements about changing something up.  Lineup change, practice change, something.  This is what you get out of most coaches though, they are to stubborn to change their ways.  (As most of us are.). That was my biggest thing about Crean, adapt to your roster.  That’s probably my fault for being a little older though.  Nobody adapted better to his team then Knight.  I need to stop comparing every coach to him, but it’s hard when you had one of the best coaches. (Not humans, coaches I said.)

10 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Risley is a great dude.  I agree with his statements about changing something up.  Lineup change, practice change, something.  This is what you get out of most coaches though, they are to stubborn to change their ways.  (As most of us are.). That was my biggest thing about Crean, adapt to your roster.  That’s probably my fault for being a little older though.  Nobody adapted better to his team then Knight.  I need to stop comparing every coach to him, but it’s hard when you had one of the best coaches. (Not humans, coaches I said.)

Hear what you are saying, and agree.  Would like to say that teachers have to teach towards their "crowd".  This team could be a very fragile team and Archie has to be positive on paper with them, and a tough love behind closed doors.

I disagree with playing players to send a message...what if they are getting the most out of kids.  For example, like I said I have seen Smith play since he was a kid - he has come along way.  He is part of the future.

The two pieces theh have coming in next year have an edge to them - they are going to be a nice additon with then the more veteran.

I have to beleive they are putting the beat 5 on the floor to win or at least be competitive.  I am shocked by Anderson not being that fundamental, although others mentioned that last year.

Forester we knew was a red shirt possibility 

Last I heard/asked was that we were on the outside looking in.  It’s really an odd recruitment similar to Romeos.  Hopefully it ends the same way though. TJD and Franklin are pretty confident he will be a Hoosier I can tell you that.  That probably would hold more weight than what I’m being told in my opinion 

I wasn’t impressed with Collins counter arguments (and I usually am) I think he’s letting friendships get in the way of being honest.  Probably rightfully so too, after all this is just a game.  I’ve always thought a lot of Risley, he calls it like he sees it but is first to credit coach, team, players when they deserve it.  Lesser self absorbed version of Dakich.  I think they both have a great take, but Risleys isn’t ratings based so to speak.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Last I heard/asked was that we were on the outside looking in.  It’s really an odd recruitment similar to Romeos.  Hopefully it ends the same way though. TJD and Franklin are pretty confident he will be a Hoosier I can tell you that.  That probably would hold more weight than what I’m being told in my opinion 

Thanks again. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I wasn’t impressed with Collins counter arguments (and I usually am) I think he’s letting friendships get in the way of being honest.  Probably rightfully so too, after all this is just a game.  I’ve always thought a lot of Risley, he calls it like he sees it but is first to credit coach, team, players when they deserve it.  Lesser self absorbed version of Dakich.  I think they both have a great take, but Risleys isn’t ratings based so to speak.

Colin was sticking up for the staff, and he knows what they are doing.  He experienced the transiton between Crean, Archie and knows these boys are being coached up.  

Knight recruited kids with an innate ability in them for toughness.  His teams dropped off when he wasnt getting that kid anymore.

Colin was pointing out it comes from within, and it does.  In coaching we teach kids to have a false confidence- those are the kids that do not have that natural tenacity.   There is effort and there is tenacity.  Guyton had effort, Fife had tenacity.  

Colin tried to say that with telling Risley "you didnt teach me that."  I beleive, last year we were a healthy hartman away from winning more games.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I was one of Collin’s biggest and most outspoken backers as a player. Loved his game as a team player.  He was a throwback.  Having said that,  I think you’re right.  

All of these losses are tough on everybody. 

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong I loved Collin as a player and I like him as an analyst too.  I just think he’s too soon removed to give a pure honest opinion.  He and Jmo are really good friends and I’m sure some of the other guys are buddies with him as well. 2-3 years down the road I think he will be a better analyst because he won’t worry about stepping on anyone’s toes so to speak.

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Colin was sticking up for the staff, and he knows what they are doing.  He experienced the transiton between Crean, Archie and knows these boys are being coached up.  

Knight recruited kids with an innate abilith in them for toughness.  His teams dropped off when he wasnt getting that kid anymore.

Colin was pointing out it comes from within, and it does.  In coaching we teach kids to have a false confidence- those are the kids that do not have that natural tenacity.   There is effort and there is tenacity.  Guyton had effort, Fife had tenacity.  

I don’t disagree with you but Steve is also correct in that it can be taught.  He admittedly didn’t have it but learned how to get it because quite frankly he didn’t have a choice if he wanted to play.  

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I agree with you. Risley kind of dominated the conversation and he talked with supreme confidence based upon having lived it. You can't argue with his insight as to what Indiana basketball was and what it means to us older folk who followed the Hoosiers in the good old days. We used to intimidate other teams and they knew when they played us that if they beat it wasn't because we might be having a bad shooting night. Hopefully before my old, fat, rear end gets pushed into the incinerator Indiana gets back to that. 

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong I loved Collin as a player and I like him as an analyst too.  I just think he’s too soon removed to give a pure honest opinion.  He and Jmo are really good friends and I’m sure some of the other guys are buddies with him as well. 2-3 years down the road I think he will be a better analyst because he won’t worry about stepping on anyone’s toes so to speak.

And I loved him as a player and a role model for his teammates and future Hoosiers. I just wish we could of seen him play without his injuries.  

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t disagree with you but Steve is also correct in that it can be taught.  He admittedly didn’t have it but learned how to get it because quite frankly he didn’t have a choice if he wanted to play.  

He had it - he is confusing loose ball drills with learning how to be tough.... which they still do today.

Knight wouldnt have kept him or brought him in if he didn't.  That was part of the blueprint.

Knight was a mastermind at breaking kids down to build them back up and these tactics cant be done anywhere today.  There replaced with building confidence, learning through video, great communication, and weight training.

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

He had it - he is confusing loose ball drills with learning how to be tough.... which they still do today.

Knight wouldnt have kept him or brought him in if he didn't.  That was part of the blueprint.

Knight was a mastermind at breaking kids down to build them back up and thise tactics cant be done anywhere today 

I never saw Risley play, but I heard he was tough as nails.  A quick google got me this

1,690 career points and 1,172 career rebounds set Lawrence Central school records, in addition to career records for steals and blocked shots...  averaged over 24 points and 12 rebounds per game as junior and senior for two-time sectional champs and two-time Marion County champs

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

I never saw Risley play, but I heard he was tough as nails.  A quick google got me this

1,690 career points and 1,172 career rebounds set Lawrence Central school records, in addition to career records for steals and blocked shots...  averaged over 24 points and 12 rebounds per game as junior and senior for two-time sectional champs and two-time Marion County champs

I never saw him play either, I was just going off of what he said.  I personally think it can be taught, granted teaching it isn’t as easy as when it comes naturally but that can be said about anything.  

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Knight was a mastermind at breaking kids down to build them back up and thise tactics cant be done anywhere today 

You hit the nail on the head on that last statement.  Probably couldn’t get by with that in this day and age.  Even though all the players that stayed 4 years under him graduated and were helped with starting their careers in whatever path they chose.  I’m pretty confident we won’t get another Knight anytime soon unfortunately.  (As far as his coaching goes that is.)

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve always thought Archie was that hard nosed, tough, competitive guy and that we would see a team built in his image just like the big guy. Let’s hope that’s all still true despite some initial data contradicting it. 

He was as hard nosed as they come.  Similar to Wojo when on Duke.  He had to be because he was 5-10.  I hope like hell this is just a major rut and next year we see it start to come together.  

Quick question/summary of some previous poster comments. Is it safe to say that when a young coach like Archie comes in he might listen to his AD a bit more to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible? I'm asking because it seems like most coaches start sending  players packing in year 2 when they basically say to AD....look. We tried this your way which is going to get me fired which ultimately will get you fired. I need to send these 3-4 kids (who aren't my recruits) elsewhere. 

Does this type of scenario happen or is it just fandom speak? Crean's problems with Glass are well known. Trying to figure out where Archie is in this in terms of roster management. He succeeded in keeping guys around but maybe that was a mistake?

Just thinking out loud. Would love to know if I'm in the right neighborhood thought wise. 

Archived