Bowl or bust....fire or stay?

Payday

I thought that with Georgia southern and then adding Charleston Southern, we had to have seven wins for a bowl game equal to the last two years.....just to maintain (should not be the goal). We have really only played two teams with an offense, and were throttled by Penn and hung in against Ohio till the line let an end come clean on the blind side and caused a fumble and the game was really over, but the defense might deserves to go to a higher bowl. A lot of people were heralding the Virginia win, but they were slammed yesterday and looking at their schedule the cream puff games are over and they might very well not win another game so that won’t help much. It is unlikely we will win out from here, but not impossible. If things do not go our way from here, and we miss the bowl altogether, do Allen, Deborg and Glass survive?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Allen and Glass unquestionably. DeBord should not survive. 

Allen made the changes, you could argue his family ties to high school ball caused the problems and he severely panicked in Virginia, and Glass blindly hired Allen. Allen has done a good job with the defense, but it was not close to qualifying as a big 10 head coach resume, how do any of them survive?

good coaches coach players up. Bad coaches fit square pegs in round holes, it is hard to argue the whole staff should not be fired along with Glass if we do not improve. The oline is now very injured, it looks grim but not impossible since we did more with a lesser line and lesser receivers last year, coaching is the concern. We are playing an old style offense football that none of the current high school stars want to play so recruiting will take a hit. They did not go through a proper coaching search last year, how long do you let this go, assuming we do not hold to an equal weight bowl game, before someone takes action? Seriously, what is acceptable for a coach with no experience? How long do we string it out?

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Keep in mind, IU could go 5-7 and still make a bowl.

I don’t know you can if two wins are against Georgia southern and Charleston. And if Virginia finishes like I think they will, three wins will be against very bad teams. And, is feeding at the bottom of the bowl chain really the goal? If we had hired Harbaugh without looking at others I would say let it ride. But our defense is stronger, the receivers and talent is better, the online was better, and the staff had now produced a clear picture of doing less. I don’t know. 

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Allen will not be fired after 1 year.  We tend to keep coaches too long (Tom Crean, Bill Lynch etc) and won’t pull the plug after one year. It is frustrating as a fan to go years with terrible defense and as soon as we get tough on that side of the ball our offense takes a dive.

It is the result of hiring a defensive coach as your head coach. 

4 minutes ago, Payday said:

I don’t know you can if two wins are against Georgia southern and Charleston. And if Virginia finishes like I think they will, three wins will be against very bad teams. And, is feeding at the bottom of the bowl chain really the goal? If we had hired Harbaugh without looking at others I would say let it ride. But our defense is stronger, the receivers and talent is better, the online was better, and the staff had now produced a clear picture of doing less. I don’t know. 

Pump the brakes.  Call it for what it is.......all of our losses have come to teams in the Top 25.  3 of them we played tough.  The other one we just fell apart.  There are games still to play, and at this point all is not lost.  Right now the Hoosiers are sitting just where I thought they would be.  And you forget we no longer have a stud RB.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Pump the brakes.  Call it for what it is.......all of our losses have come to teams in the Top 25.  3 of them we played tough.  The other one we just fell apart.  There are games still to play, and at this point all is not lost.  Right now the Hoosiers are sitting just where I thought they would be.  And you forget we no longer have a stud RB.

I agree 100%, I'm not going to lie, coming into the season I had us winning against a ranked opponent.. not a certain one but I thought we would win one. Now that we are 3-4 and there's only Wisconsin left I'm not sure that we can BreakThrough this season with a big win, but am I disappointed right now through 7 games? No, we still should win 6 games and 7 is likely as well. We lost to 4 top 20 teams, and have shown we can compete with anybody.. Does it hurt to have not won one of these games? Sure, but with Coach Allen, I think all of our players are going to believe in his plan and we will BreakThrough.. In the near future. 

Also, Debord has got to go. :coffee:

2 hours ago, Payday said:

Allen made the changes, you could argue his family ties to high school ball caused the problems and he severely panicked in Virginia, and Glass blindly hired Allen. Allen has done a good job with the defense, but it was not close to qualifying as a big 10 head coach resume, how do any of them survive?

good coaches coach players up. Bad coaches fit square pegs in round holes, it is hard to argue the whole staff should not be fired along with Glass if we do not improve. The oline is now very injured, it looks grim but not impossible since we did more with a lesser line and lesser receivers last year, coaching is the concern. We are playing an old style offense football that none of the current high school stars want to play so recruiting will take a hit. They did not go through a proper coaching search last year, how long do you let this go, assuming we do not hold to an equal weight bowl game, before someone takes action? Seriously, what is acceptable for a coach with no experience? How long do we string it out?

You clearly have an agenda, so there is no reason to further this conversation. 

1 hour ago, KDB said:

I agree 100%, I'm not going to lie, coming into the season I had us winning against a ranked opponent.. not a certain one but I thought we would win one. Now that we are 3-4 and there's only Wisconsin left I'm not sure that we can BreakThrough this season with a big win, but am I disappointed right now through 7 games? No, we still should win 6 games and 7 is likely as well. We lost to 4 top 20 teams, and have shown we can compete with anybody.. Does it hurt to have not won one of these games? Sure, but with Coach Allen, I think all of our players are going to believe in his plan and we will BreakThrough.. In the near future. 

I have faith we will be in a bowl.  But very well said and spot on.

The 3 - 4 record is what I expected at this point.  However, the defense has been even better than I expected and the offense much, much worse.  I think it is possible for IU to win out (with exception of Wisconsin) but the lack of offense has caused doubt to begin to creep in; with particular regard to The Bucket game, you can always throw the records out the window and winning up there is always tough.  I believe the IU defense will meet CTA's goal (top 25) by season's end.  Question is, will IU find enough offense to win the games IU should win moving forward?

1 minute ago, rico said:

I was curious and I know there different analytics to these things as well as different sites to look for them.  But the first one I pulled up about SOS had IU #26.  

Losing the FIU game really hurt ours, and shows why I hate most Strength of Schedule calculations.  Compare ours to PSU.  We've played the #2, 6, 18, and 25 ranked teams, and they have played the #25 team and the rest are unranked.  Our SOS is ranked 26th and PSU is ranked 18th.  They weigh the low ranked teams way too much.

25 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

100%

Its the whole, my kid got benched so I'm going to go around and talk trash about the coach.

Allen is going to be here long after he's a fan of IU, so I'm not worried about it.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You clearly have an agenda, so there is no reason to further this conversation. 

Nope, season has gone exactly as I figured once the change was made. Some on the board thought the grass was greener, turns out it wasn’t. Numbers don’t lie. The reality is that our bowl options, losing FIU and placing Charleston in, are beginning to diminish. 

All I know , is, IU has made, not one, but two national tv games in a row.  And has been competitive in both of those two games. Against top 20 ranked teams, none the less.  Been following the Hoosiers since the 1950's. Did not happen then.  And did not happen when IU was going to bowl games. To me, that is  indicative of a program on the rise.

The tv networks did not pass on IU, like years in the past. Thinking that they would have a dud of a game to present to the public.  Rather, they thought the opposite.  And  were rewarded with not one, but two very competitive games in a row. 

Well said Mile.  I really had not considered past history in terms of nationally televised games.  Having Game Day for the first time was impressive too.  It is amazing what CTA has done with the IU defense; it is the best IU defense I've seen including Coach Mallory's teams.

19 minutes ago, Payday said:

Nope, season has gone exactly as I figured once the change was made. Some on the board thought the grass was greener, turns out it wasn’t. Numbers don’t lie. The reality is that our bowl options, losing FIU and placing Charleston in, are beginning to diminish. 

You figured it would have been different if the change wasn't made?  C'mon man.

5 hours ago, Payday said:

I thought that with Georgia southern and then adding Charleston Southern, we had to have seven wins for a bowl game equal to the last two years.....just to maintain (should not be the goal). We have really only played two teams with an offense, and were throttled by Penn and hung in against Ohio till the line let an end come clean on the blind side and caused a fumble and the game was really over, but the defense might deserves to go to a higher bowl. A lot of people were heralding the Virginia win, but they were slammed yesterday and looking at their schedule the cream puff games are over and they might very well not win another game so that won’t help much. It is unlikely we will win out from here, but not impossible. If things do not go our way from here, and we miss the bowl altogether, do Allen, Deborg and Glass survive?

Dude we get it that you are upset that your son got demoted from the starting QB but you need to move on.  After this year you don't have to worry about IU football anymore so to be calling for coaches head is ridiculous.  You were on another site last year fighting with posters who ripped you son's play and now this year you come to another site.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Don't pay attention to him because he is the father of Richard Lagow.  He is upset that his son got demoted so he is biased.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I did not realize that......WOW

He did tis on another board last year after every bad game.  Posters on that sight was criticizing Richard and did not take it very well.  I have no idea why a parent of a player would ever go on a message board especially after a loss.

Archived