Bowl or bust....fire or stay?

Payday

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He did tis on another board last year after every bad game.  Posters on that sight was criticizing Richard and did not take it very well.  I have no idea why a parent of a player would ever go on a message board especially after a loss.

And once again.....WOW

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He did tis on another board last year after every bad game.  Posters on that sight was criticizing Richard and did not take it very well.  I have no idea why a parent of a player would ever go on a message board especially after a loss.

While I realize IU Scott is the neighborhood troll, he shows up on almost any board or eBay that can give him a sense of being, the conversation was about the prospect of a bowl game going forward and whether the program takes a step back due to changes that started after the end of last season. We have five games left. I can see them going four of five with some breaks, or zero of five if everything falls off the cart, but the real danger is a six win season with Charleston and Georgia on the record. Teams have been passed over before with six wins. I think we have to win seven to be safe. And if we only win six, does the firing and hiring warrant a discussion by the school? Try to stay on topic troll.

30 minutes ago, Payday said:

While I realize IU Scott is the neighborhood troll, he shows up on almost any board or eBay that can give him a sense of being, the conversation was about the prospect of a bowl game going forward and whether the program takes a step back due to changes that started after the end of last season. We have five games left. I can see them going four of five with some breaks, or zero of five if everything falls off the cart, but the real danger is a six win season with Charleston and Georgia on the record. Teams have been passed over before with six wins. I think we have to win seven to be safe. And if we only win six, does the firing and hiring warrant a discussion by the school? Try to stay on topic troll.

Bowls have specific conference ties so while not impossible, it would be very unlikely for a 6 win team from a major conference to not make a bowl game.

55 minutes ago, Payday said:

Just stop because you are totally making yourself look like a fool.  I have been a fan of IU sports for over 40 years and have no respect for guys like you.  You probably had never watched an Iu game until your son became part of the football program. Yes your son has a good arm but he made way to many mistakes to stay on the field.  When you want top play great defense and win that way you can't have the offense turning the ball over tie after time.  I have watched many years of all offense and no defense and I am tired of that style of play. Got tired of watching us to lose games 48-45 or losing to UW 83-20  To me this is the best way for IU going forward if they really want to compete in the big ten.

23 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Bowls have specific conference ties so while not impossible, it would be very unlikely for a 6 win team from a major conference to not make a bowl game.

17 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Maybe a better discussion would be evaluating the coaching staff and their performance to date without mentioning Allen getting fired.  That will 100% not happen barring some type of scandal

Absolutely correct on both I think. The coach issue is a concern because you enter into a dilemma. If you keep Allen and Deborg goes, then can you attract a quality OC? Wilson left and went to Ohio and I expect they will be in the final four teams. They have a powerful head coach. The trick with every program is advancing to the level where they are an elite program and a coach like Wilson willcome there and be the OC. And I hope nobody brings up his baggage from Indiana because obviously it was not bad enough for them to not hire him and they checked it all out. That should not be in the discussion. Anyone who supports the program should expect an upgrade effort. And, this is a tough conference so nothing is easy. So how does Allen recruit an OC that is strong enough to compliment the defense.

sorry for the IU scott troll. Ran a check on the name, after a while on the net he has a very wide range of trolling. He should be more cautious about making assuming statements on the various postings, they always come home . But I do agree that I hate watching games with fifty points each. 

10 minutes ago, Payday said:

Absolutely correct on both I think. The coach issue is a concern because you enter into a dilemma. If you keep Allen and Deborg goes, then can you attract a quality OC? Wilson left and went to Ohio and I expect they will be in the final four teams. They have a powerful head coach. The trick with every program is advancing to the level where they are an elite program and a coach like Wilson willcome there and be the OC. And I hope nobody brings up his baggage from Indiana because obviously it was not bad enough for them to not hire him and they checked it all out. That should not be in the discussion. Anyone who supports the program should expect an upgrade effort. And, this is a tough conference so nothing is easy. So how does Allen recruit an OC that is strong enough to compliment the defense.

sorry for the IU scott troll. Ran a check on the name, after a while on the net he has a very wide range of trolling. He should be more cautious about making assuming statements on the various postings, they always come home . But I do agree that I hate watching games with fifty points each. 

You have no clue about me because I only post on this site and the rivals site for IU sports and no place else.  This site will be better after this season when you will be gone for good since you bring nothing but negativity to this board.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You have no clue about me because I only post on this site and the rivals site for IU sports and no place else.  This site will be better after this season when you will be gone for good since you bring nothing but negativity to this board.  Also I have been told by some on here who run this site that you are in fact Richard Lagow's father.  I was told not to say anything but your drivel the last few days put me over the top and wanted me to call you out.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Lol, ok. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better. No credible board would share members identity due to the significant liability it would create because the board is advertised as anonymous. The anonymity is what allows you to be the troll. At least till other services out you. 

2 minutes ago, Payday said:

Lol, ok. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better. 

Whatever and  you have serious problems. I know who I am and where I post and have been told exactly who you are.  I get it as being apparent and being upset about you son's football career.  I just don't understand why you would go to a message board especially after bad games to see what people were saying about your son's performance.

35 minutes ago, rico said:

We have had a brutal schedule thus far even without Georgia Southern and Charleston Southern being in the mix.  We have no ground game at all, and the O-line looks to be weak.  As in any sport success comes on the defensive side of things.

Defensive side is carrying the load. It looked like the line got dinged up after this game and that makes it difficult to run. Add to that not having a dominant runner yet, that can overpower a missed block once in a while, and the run game suffers. Then the opponent pins back coming after the passer, runner or not, and the whole show looks bad. I am not an Allen fan, but the team has to find a way to win four games i think. I do not like our chances with six wins and Charleston. It is just putting the desired result in someone else’s hands. 

6 wins will definitely be enough.  The more important question to me is are we improving? Hard to say given the level of competition.  The thing that concerns me is that we lose a lot defensively that will not be easily replaced. The majority of the defense are “Wilson” guys for lack of a better term.  Can the new coaches recruit and develop talent?  That remains to be seen

28 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

6 wins will definitely be enough.  The more important question to me is are we improving? Hard to say given the level of competition.  The thing that concerns me is that we lose a lot defensively that will not be easily replaced. The majority of the defense are “Wilson” guys for lack of a better term.  Can the new coaches recruit and develop talent?  That remains to be seen

Look how the “Wilson guys” did before Tom Allen got here...

15 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Look how the “Wilson guys” did before Tom Allen got here...

I agree about Allen and the turnaround for the defense. He has worked a miracle with this unit changing to a good scheme. The thing I am concerned about is guys like Tegray and Covington haven’t come along very often for us at IU.  If we can continue the pipeline then Allen will likely be a big success

14 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I agree about Allen and the turnaround for the defense. He has worked a miracle with this unit changing to a good scheme. The thing I am concerned about is guys like Tegray and Covington haven’t come along very often for us at IU.  If we can continue the pipeline then Allen will likely be a big success

There is no question he has done a good job with the defense. But as Wilson proved, some guys are better suited as coordinators. It may just be at a certain time in their career, or maybe they are born to be a head coach, but the concern has to be that we had an offense minded head coach for several years and the defense was neglected and now we may have a defense minded coach and the offense is neglected. Too early to tell, but I think there should be some concern if you can attract the caliber of players necessary to beat Ohio and the Michigan teams. But, look at what Leach has done where he has coached, programs can do it. There is no reason Indiana can not get a coach who can do the same. Having said that, Leach and some guys like him are realists and they don’t jump into a big ten fight very often. They look for cherry pick type opportunities where they can make a big splash fast.

1 hour ago, hoopsta007 said:

I'm interested to see how Allen will do recruiting.  If we finish strong this year, I could see a decent uptick with him hopefully being able to develop good local relations.

For guys already on the team, I could see Marcelino Ball turning into a stud if he can stay healthy.  Juan Harris got a couples snaps here and there as a freshman before he got hurt.  I haven't heard of any issues since he's been here, and he's got tons of potential.  I don't know anything about how he's been since he's been here, but Juwan Burgess was a high ranked recruit we flipped from USC.

I'm hopeful Allen is one of those coaches who turns 3 star recruits into guys like Scales, Covington, etc.  At least that's my hope!

1 hour ago, Payday said:

There is no question he has done a good job with the defense. But as Wilson proved, some guys are better suited as coordinators. It may just be at a certain time in their career, or maybe they are born to be a head coach, but the concern has to be that we had an offense minded head coach for several years and the defense was neglected and now we may have a defense minded coach and the offense is neglected. Too early to tell, but I think there should be some concern if you can attract the caliber of players necessary to beat Ohio and the Michigan teams. But, look at what Leach has done where he has coached, programs can do it. There is no reason Indiana can not get a coach who can do the same. Having said that, Leach and some guys like him are realists and they don’t jump into a big ten fight very often. They look for cherry pick type opportunities where they can make a big splash fast.

It is definitely a big jump from OC to head coach in a major conference.  A first season as a head coach being in the B1G is not an easy spot to come into.  I'm still hopeful Allen will show he's good enough within his first couple years.

It seems like Allen is very well respected in coaching circles, so I would be hopeful he would be able to get a decent OC to come here if we were to get rid of DeBord.  I know Allen talked a lot in the spring about how he doesn't want to use a safe, run heavy offense and rely on defense winning games.  He made it sound like he wants to have a good, fast paced offense too. 

I'm really hopeful that DeBord was just a hire to help Allen get his feet wet as a head coach.  DeBord had talked about retiring before this year, so he might have come here for one year to give Allen a year as a head coach to find himself before he has to go look for a new OC.  Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

I'm still very confident in Allen long term.  He seems to see all aspects of coaching as being important, and I think he'll eventually build well rounded teams.  Between Ramsey/Tronti and Ellison/Walker we should be able to find a formidable QB/RB duo for the next few years.  We only lose a couple players from the offensive side of the ball, so there should be a nice improvement there next year.

Not saying this to fan the flames, I promise.  I am not that guy.  But was I the only one that thought I would rather have Legow in the game this weekend?  I personally think our WR are our best offensive asset even with injuries and it Just seems like the coaching staff won’t let him pass like he needs to.  If they don’t feel he can then why is he in there.  Our o-line is rough this year and the run game is not what it used to be.  I just feel like DeBord has shifted way to conservative with Ramsey at QB.  So you are are right that DeBord maybe the issue but if putting Lagow in allows him to take more risks I am all for it.  I have seen enough contestant crap IU football runs up the middle over and over for too many years.  I would rather air it out in a Blaze of glory over these last few Michigan  games.  Maybe I am wrong, I just feel like they are playing not to lose which has always spelled disaster for IU football historically.  I felt for better or worse they played more to win with Lagow.  Get confidence in Ramsey and let him show what he can do or why play him?

I do believe that Lagow will get a shot with some team in the NFL.  But the line sucks and the running game doesn't exist.  The coaches thought we needed a mobile QB.  The jury is still out on that one.  Now when it comes to DeBord, he does have some impressive credentials.  But I also think he is experiencing a "learning curve" with a different talent level than he was used to.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I do believe that Lagow will get a shot with some team in the NFL.  But the line sucks and the running game doesn't exist.  The coaches thought we needed a mobile QB.  The jury is still out on that one.  Now when it comes to DeBord, he does have some impressive credentials.  But I also think he is experiencing a "learning curve" with a different talent level than he was used to.  

Having played d1 on the line I just don’t understand how we can be this bad. I know the game changes over the years, but they sometimes look like they are on different schemes. That has been the most frustrating part. The run game, I understand. I honestly think Redding leaving surprised them and left them without a runner ready to go. In hindsight he would like a redo also I imagine. But the line, man. The first game, when we were in the game, we let an end come unblocked on the blindside that caused a fumble at our own ten or so. That effectively ended the game. We play without a back to block a good portion, who does that when the line is struggling? You do that and you are asking for a lot. I would slow the tempo, go under center, more play action moving the pocket, and do anything but set my qb back there with a target on him, runner or not. You guys realize that, and I know hindsight is 20/20, that our fast tempo last weekend may have saved enough time for MSU to score the last TD. I’m not saying it did, but it would be interesting to run the math on it. 

On 10/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, rico said:

To be frank, I'm not sure there are many teams that are going to draft a guy who thew 19 TD vs 17 Interceptions his junior year, and then was subsequently benched a few games into his senior year. I think he'll likely get time in some teams camps, and maybe with a good showing secure a roster spot.. but that is the only way I see him making an NFL roster. Not trying to be negative-by all accounts he seems like a really good kid, just doesn't appear to be NFL caliber to me.

This might be harsh, but I'm honestly getting tired of this football program. Tired of being the worst program in the Big Ten. Tired of going decades without beating teams. Tired of having unbalanced teams. Tired of seeing mistakes that aren't corrected. Tired of...everything.

Rant over.

Archived