Justin Smiths shot

Please don’t make this a pile on about him, there’s plenty of it in other threads. I just noticed when he shoots he doesn’t release the ball until after he is well on his way down from his jump.  Anyone else notice this?  That was a big no when I was being taught shooting fundamentals a long time ago.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Please don’t make this a pile on about him, there’s plenty of it in other threads. I just noticed when he shoots he doesn’t release the ball until after he is well on his way down from his jump.  Anyone else notice this?  That was a big no when I was being taught shooting fundamentals a long time ago.  

Justin needs a lot of work.  I've said it multiple times,  he does not have good hands at all.  He struggles to catch it cleanly going to the rim, dribbling, and when setting up for a shot...  bad hands = uncomfortable shooting

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Fundamentals and Justin Smith are mutually exclusive; at both ends of the floor.

Fifteen percent from beyond the arch.  Red light time from Archie.

McHoop

26 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I was pretty good at baseball growing up. Summer ball between soph and junior years I developed a baseball equivalence to yips in golf. Played 3rd base my entire life and couldn't throw the ball. All mental. Worked my way out of it. To me that's what I see going on with Justin. Plenty of things in the brain right now. Last year he just stepped up and shot which is the reason so many were singing his praises. Right now the kid has so much going on. Feel bad for him as a kid. 

He deffinatly has a hitch in his shot.  Its like he jumps, gets to the apex and remembers oh ya, um not dunking and flicks his wrist way late instead of it being nice and fluid and starting his shot on the way up and releasing at the top.  Romeo has a little different version of the same problem. Make them take "jump shots" with like a 10lb or 15lb medicine ball.  They'll break their wrists or learn how to use their whole body in sync to shoot.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was pretty good at baseball growing up. Summer ball between soph and junior years I developed a baseball equivalence to yips in golf. Played 3rd base my entire life and couldn't throw the ball. All mental. Worked my way out of it. To me that's what I see going on with Justin. Plenty of things in the brain right now. Last year he just stepped up and shot which is the reason so many were singing his praises. Right now the kid has so much going on. Feel bad for him as a kid. 

Totally agree, his is more mental than talent issue.  Raw talent wise there aren’t many with more than Justin.  

I wonder if shooting mechanics are actually taught anymore.  Thinking back to the IU teams in the 70's and 80's I think of guys like Whittman and Kitchel who had good and consistent form (forearm vertical, smooth stroke, good follow through).  It seems over time that there have been a number of young phenom players that have terrible form, but really good accuracy and that has de-emphasized the desire to work on form/mechanics.  It maybe that some players can be good shooters with "unique" shooting, but I have to believe that overall shooting could be better across the board (especially FT shooting) with old-school shot coaching.

Time for my Geritol.

33 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I wonder if shooting mechanics are actually taught anymore.  Thinking back to the IU teams in the 70's and 80's I think of guys like Whittman and Kitchel who had good and consistent form (forearm vertical, smooth stroke, good follow through).  It seems over time that there have been a number of young phenom players that have terrible form, but really good accuracy and that has de-emphasized the desire to work on form/mechanics.  It maybe that some players can be good shooters with "unique" shooting, but I have to believe that overall shooting could be better across the board (especially FT shooting) with old-school shot coaching.

Time for my Geritol.

The Geritol reference alone indicates it’s time for it. Lol. 

I said it in the game thread yesterday, but if JS could just learn how to shoot, pass and dribble, he would be a pretty good ball player.  I think he's the epitome of what is wrong with the team.  The team has great athletes but lacks true basketball players.  We have a couple, but for the most part, we're just great athletes. 

Archived