Justin Smiths shot

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t stand Calipari but I have to wonder what it would be like with 2-3 more banners. Obviously we chose not to hire him.. Howdays he never gets caught doing anything wrong and Kentucky remains at the top of College basketball, well probably 2nd to Duke now days. It’s just crazy to think at the difference in programs. UK hires Gelespie than cans him for Cal. We fire Davis and hire Sampson and Crean.

I don’t like the NBA factory Kentucky D league, but man it sure would be fun to be the favorite in almost every game we play like the old days.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, Indykev said:

It almost looks like he takes the ball behind he head and throws it on his jump shots.

He has the weird straight over his head with way to much arch on his shot.  I don't know of any shooter who has any consistency shooting that from.  

Justin Smith would be great in the AND1 circuit with his hops and defense.  He just doesn't do well in a team oriented environment.  His hands are not soft enough and he doesn't understand the pick and roll/pop and/or back cuts he should be doing.  Phenomenal athletic kid but not a very good basketball player.

And i am not piling on the kid, he just isn't Big 5 conference level at this point 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Remember when everyone said he was going to play the 3 this coming year? Good times. 

Actually i would rather be be at the 3 running around back running and pick and rolling.  Instead he plays the 4.5 with Morgan.

I would like to see Davis at 5, Morgan at the 4, Smith at the 3, Romeo at the 2, and Rob at the point.

Try something different and see if we get different results.  Can't hurt to have Morgan and Davis in at the same time.  We have Forester and Moore on the bench to help if we get in foul trouble.  Its not like we can get any worst really.  And another thing, let them stay in if they pick up 2 foul.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Actually i would rather be be at the 3 running around back running and pick and rolling.  Instead he plays the 4.5 with Morgan.

I would like to see Davis at 5, Morgan at the 4, Smith at the 3, Romeo at the 2, and Rob at the point.

Try something different and see if we get different results.  Can't hurt to have Morgan and Davis in at the same time.  We have Forester and Moore on the bench to help if we get in foul trouble.  Its not like we can get any worst really.  And another thing, let them stay in if they pick up 2 foul.

You can't play Smith at the 3. He can't shoot, he can't pass, and he can't dribble. 

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

but maybe he can run and cut to the basket alot?

His man will be standing 10ft from the basket lol 

It's really too bad Green can't be anymore reliable than he is. This season has been just so awful to watch. I'm ready for it to be over and to move onto baseball.... actually starting Friday IU baseball is in full swing!! Yippeeee

Earlier this season to my (only two) friends I would compare Justin to Troy Williams as a Soph, very good athlete that had trouble shooting, dribbling, passing, breathing, ect.. I remember a LOT of OMG Troy moments, both incredible and incredibly bad. So I have clung to the hope that Justin would maybe make the same marked improvement Troy made, But not to be. The problem seems to be Justin puts in about 20% of the game effort Troy did, and Justin must think he's already improved his game enough. I never remember questioning Troy Williams effort, maybe some of his game decisions.  I may be guilty of having memory glossing error, but i do remember Troy as a high motor train wreck with moments of glory.

Justin's dribble drive is a TO or charge, every time, period. Please remove it until he can spend weeks doing the Victor ball handling drills.

I'm still on board with Archie, I THINK I see what he must be thinking with JS, 'The kid has SOOOOO much potential, if he would just flip on the switch and engage'. I coached for about 20 years, although it was a different species (teenage girls), sometimes they just won't find that switch. You have to move on.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, Bowhunter said:

I can’t stand Calipari but I have to wonder what it would be like with 2-3 more banners. Obviously we chose not to hire him.. Howdays he never gets caught doing anything wrong and Kentucky remains at the top of College basketball, well probably 2nd to Duke now days. It’s just crazy to think at the difference in programs. UK hires Gelespie than cans him for Cal. We fire Davis and hire Sampson and Crean.

I don’t like the NBA factory Kentucky D league, but man it sure would be fun to be the favorite in almost every game we play like the old days.

Would never want Cal around the IU program, ever

46 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Remember when CTC put Watford on Trey Burke?  What if we went big with Davis posting,  Juwan on the wing,  get Smith slashing and cutting.  He should back cut 50% of the time, instead he rolls to the 3 point line rendering him useless.  

I think that would require us to actually use and offense.  i never see our guards or wings back cutting or running the baseline or moving around other than the weave at the top.  Drive me crazy

First time poster here. Always kept up with this site thru the years to see who IU was recruiting and than got wrapped up in reading everything during the coaching change. I wanted to get involved but just didn't feel I should pull the trigger.

I see these threads just basically blasting the players and I couldn't sit back and keep reading some of this stuff. So I went and looked at the year to date stats of the players. By the remarks on this site I was expecting to see Justin Smith averaging like 5 or 6 turnovers per game and shooting 20% from the field. I'm not trying to stir up anybody, but here are a few stats.

Romeo - FG% 46.1,  3P% 26.8,  TOPG 2.2

Juwan - FG% 58.4,  3P% 35.6,  TOPG 2.0

Justin - FG% 51.5,  3P% 21.1,  TOPG 2.1

Al - FG% 44.3,  3P% 40.3,  TOPG 1.4

Devonte - FG% 37.2,  3P% 38.6,  TOPG 2.4

So I don't think Justin is as terrible as everybody on here seems to think. When I look at the stats I wonder why there aren't plays designed to get more 3 point shots for Al and Devonte. Just some of the stuff I see. Now I've got to get back to work. 

11 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

First time poster here. Always kept up with this site thru the years to see who IU was recruiting and than got wrapped up in reading everything during the coaching change. I wanted to get involved but just didn't feel I should pull the trigger.

I see these threads just basically blasting the players and I couldn't sit back and keep reading some of this stuff. So I went and looked at the year to date stats of the players. By the remarks on this site I was expecting to see Justin Smith averaging like 5 or 6 turnovers per game and shooting 20% from the field. I'm not trying to stir up anybody, but here are a few stats.

So I don't think Justin is as terrible as everybody on here seems to think. When I look at the stats I wonder why there aren't plays designed to get more 3 point shots for Al and Devonte. Just some of the stuff I see. Now I've got to get back to work. 

Welcome to HSN! Hope to see you continue posting.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think that would require us to actually use and offense.  i never see our guards or wings back cutting or running the baseline or moving around other than the weave at the top.  Drive me crazy

Yes....rarely see an off ball screen, back door cut, any movement at all basically other than the weave at the top. Worst offense I've ever witnessed at least in the iteration that we are running. Puts no pressure on the defense as others sag off their man who is doing nothing. Shot clock runs down and we force up a bad shot. I don't understand the lack of movement...and I'm sure there is some good variations of the offense we are running but maybe someone can explain it to me...I just don't see where it opens up easy shots for our guys.

1 hour ago, HMSHoosier said:

I don't want to bash or write a guy off either but I'd love to see what his shooting percentage is outside of 2 feet.....considering most of his points are off put backs and dunks where guys drop it off to him. He did have a nice take against OSU at the end of the game backing his guy in but there just hasn't been enough of that..as a traditional 4 (because he can't stretch the defense without being able to shoot) he really doesn't bring what a traditional low post presence 4 would bring.

2 hours ago, HMSHoosier said:

Welcome! I agree about putting numbers to compare to what my eyes are seeing. 

Do do you information about these players statistics per 40 minutes? Much of the stats now trend towards efficiency (ie turnovers per 40 minutes or possession used) instead of on per game. I would expect we would find a vastly different story. Unfair to compare TO per game of Romeo and Justin when Romeo is utilizing 2-3x more possessions. 

1 minute ago, DocHoosier said:

Welcome! I agree about putting numbers to compare to what my eyes are seeing. 

Do do you information about these players statistics per 40 minutes? Much of the stats now trend towards efficiency (ie turnovers per 40 minutes or possession used) instead of on per game. I would expect we would find a vastly different story. Unfair to compare TO per game of Romeo and Justin when Romeo is utilizing 2-3x more possessions. 

Those are per game stats. I guess kind of my point. From what I see watching the games all plays are for the ball to end in Romeo or Juwans hands and that's understandable as they are the 2 best players. Just think if they ran some plays to get our best 3 point shooters open, like Al, and Devonte. If they start knocking them down regularly than that will open up the lane, because right now every team packs the paint. 

I dont feel it's unfair to use those stats. I think it's unfair to lay all the blame on 1 or 2 players when there's 5 on the court. They all have made boneheaded plays but I guess everybody overlooks some of them.

Welcome!  The thing about JS is that those numbers are a little misleading.  While they look ok, he just does not pass the eye test at all, except for a few flashes a game.  When you watch him play, he has terrible hands, cannot take anyone off of the dribble and can’t shoot mid to long range.  He’s an around the basket type player right now, which is fine, but too often you’ll find him floating on the perimeter which slows down the offense imo.  This allows the defense to sag off of him and doesn’t help with floor spacing.

I think the one thing that frustrates me about him the most is his reluctance to try and dunk it on any and everyone.  He should be playing like Vince Carter did while he was at UNC.  He would literally try and dunk everything from the free throw line and in.  For having a 48” vertical, he sure doesn’t play like it.

Im not trying to bash JS, but I think he could be REALLY good if he was to work at it.  He’s just not improved much/at all from last year.  He’s got all of the athletic ability in the world.

Justin shooting a 3 at 21.2% efficiency is pretty much the same as a turnover. I'd also be interested what that rate has been in B1G play, because I honestly can't remember the last time he made one. I actually like Justin's game at times, but he's maddeningly inconsistent, and doesn't seem to understand that he's being left wide open for a reason.

31 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Justin shooting a 3 at 21.2% efficiency is pretty much the same as a turnover. I'd also be interested what that rate has been in B1G play, because I honestly can't remember the last time he made one. I actually like Justin's game at times, but he's maddeningly inconsistent, and doesn't seem to understand that he's being left wide open for a reason.

I couldn't agree more that's why he rarely takes them. Does that mean when Romeo takes a 3 its pretty much the same as a turnover? Because he's only shooting 26%.

I couldn't agree more that's why he rarely takes them. Does that mean when Romeo takes a 3 its pretty much the same as a turnover? Because he's only shooting 26%.

Romeo's shooting somewhere around 40% from 3 in the last handful of games. Pretty sure Justin's been consistently shooting at that rate all year. 

I'd say basically. He has shot better the past 5 or 6 games but usually when Romeo takes it the shot clock is running down and it isn't a good look. The only positive is hopefully our bigs are inside to rebound. Justin...well I'll be honest I'm surprised he is shooting 21%. I can only remember him hitting 1 three all year...and of course we don't have one of our main rebounder's in there so it's not a high percentage play for us.

Archived