[DATA VISUAL] Boiling the troubles of 2019 Indiana Basketball

rbkl

Certainly not an easy task to do... but if you were to grossly oversimplify why Indiana is not winning in 2019, it comes down to one thing: 3 point shooting.

In a related, but seperate thread, there is discussion about Indiana's offensive schemes that may be outdated. While I am not here to agree or disagree with that statement, I will say this:

The Hoosiers have gotten open looks in Archie's offense, but at some point you have to put them in. 

Why Indiana Basketball is Not Winning in 2019

So the magic number is 37%. That's actually pretty good team 3-point shooting percentage. 

In reality, if we take 20 3-point shots on average, that means 2 more made 3-point shots. Only 2 more, but that makes a world of difference. At least, we should be good at either 3 points or free throws. If we suck at both, how in the world can we win when we play in slow pace?

It's funny...without seeing this, I posted something very similar in Degenate's thread about Archie's "system issues".  32.7% is like shooting 49.05% from 2.  I even referenced 37% as a number that would make a lot of difference with this team.  My "fearless pre-season prediction" was that Al Durham would average 37% from deep.

Archived