Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

Some on here said he had no chance to go in the very early rounds. Sounds like that’s not true. And if he does go early he won’t be attending school in Bloomington. 

He's gone up since I stated that a few months ago. That said a lot can change between now and the draft. The MLB draft always has top guys that fall and lower rated guys that go higher because of the contract and bonus pool implications that are different than the NBA and NFL. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

He's gone up since I stated that a few months ago. That said a lot can change between now and the draft. The MLB draft always has top guys that fall and lower rated guys that go higher because of the contract and bonus pool implications that are different than the NBA and NFL. 

Hasn’t been much happen since then due to COVID, but I know how it all works. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Baseball AND basketball?!!

If we have the type of basketball team we want, he would not contribute in a meaningful manner.  He's a good basketball player, just not a 'I'm good enough to play Power 5 in two sports' basketball player.  If basketball was his only sport, and getting 100% of his attention, then it might be different.   

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If we have the type of basketball team we want, he would not contribute in a meaningful manner.  He's a good basketball player, just not a 'I'm good enough to play Power 5 in two sports' basketball player.  If basketball was his only sport, and getting 100% of his attention, then it might be different.   

Not sure I agree with the first sentence. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The first sentence ties into the rest of the post.  His #1 priority is baseball.  The last sentence in my post explains my position regarding the first.  

I'm not sure he's not good enough anyway. Either way.. I dont want him playing basketball and don't see how its an option. 

15 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Wouldn’t he basically just be a walk-on or a practice player? Can’t see why that would be a bad thing. 

Why would he want to be a walk-on (Archie never plays them) or practice player?  He has MLB aspirations and should be giving his entire focus to baseball.  Baseball/Basketball seasons overlap so much that trying to play both really only works if your primary sport is basketball. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why would he want to be a walk-on (Archie never plays them) or practice player?  He has MLB aspirations and should be giving his entire focus to baseball.  Baseball/Basketball seasons overlap so much that trying to play both really only works if your primary sport is basketball. 

Also, I don't see Miller using a scholarship on him and I don't see him going without any scholarship. As stated earlier in this thread, those are the choices if he plays basketball - basketball scholarship or no scholarship.

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Also, I don't see Miller using a scholarship on him and I don't see him going without any scholarship. As stated earlier in this thread, those are the choices if he plays basketball - basketball scholarship or no scholarship.

When was the last time we used all of our scholarships, though?

I don't remember how the rules work exactly, but I believe we're allowed even more next year.

Edited by HoosierDom

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

When was the last time we used all of our scholarships, though?

I don't remember how the rules work exactly, but I believe we're allowed even more next year.

Miller doesn't even use them all for full time basketball players. Why do you think he would use one for a baseball player?

27 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Miller doesn't even use them all for full time basketball players. Why do you think he would use one for a baseball player?

He doesn't use them all because he doesn't want unhappy guys who never get any PT. If this kid is basically a walkon that is required to use one of our scholarship spots because of baseball, that doesn't seem to create the same problem. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He’s definitely going to MLB, either this year or after his freshman year. From what I have heard down here, he will be drafted this summer, but let’s see what he decides 

I thought with baseball if the player chose to go to school they had to be there for 3 years before entering the draft. Is that no longer the case?