Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

Obviously, this guy thinks Colson never gets to IU.  Curious what the money is like if he signs a pro contract now?  Is it really big enough to start toiling in the minors?  Given the relatively long professional path a baseball player has to take to get to the majors, I'd think college and a degree could be a pretty appealing alternative?

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Obviously, this guy thinks Colson never gets to IU.  Curious what the money is like if he signs a pro contract now?  Is it really big enough to start toiling in the minors?  Given the relatively long professional path a baseball player has to take to get to the majors, I'd think college and a degree could be a pretty appealing alternative?

He could easily go to college and pay for it with his nice signing bonus. A signing bonus he may or may not ever get if he goes to college.

25 minutes ago, ephul said:

He could easily go to college and pay for it with his nice signing bonus. A signing bonus he may or may not ever get if he goes to college.

You see, no offense intended, but I think that is a simplistic way of looking at it.  I don't claim to be an expert here, which is why I am asking the questions I am...

What 18-year-old will save his signing bonus for college if his baseball career never materializes?  I'm guessing most will blow it.  Then if they blow out their knee, they are double screwed.  Broke and no paid-for education to fall back on.

If he has the discipline to prepay his college tuition with his signing bonus, have at it, but I expect that would be hard to convince a teenager to do...especially if they are confident of earning a lot of money playing baseball.  I'm guessing from what little I've read, his signing bonus would be in the half million range.  That's hardly life-changing money even if it's twice that and that small fortune can quickly disappear in the hands of a young man who's never had more than maybe a thousand bucks in the bank.  Maybe he's little Dave Ramsey, but here would be my pitch for college baseball...

Come and play the game you love, get a free education and have four more (or three more) years to hang with your buddies and be a kid.  If your abilities shine through like I think they will, the signing bonus will be even bigger after you showcase your talents at the college level.  If you get hurt, at least you'll have a lot of fond memories and a free education to earn a living with.  I've never done either but I'll bet toiling in the minors feels a lot more like a job than playing baseball in college.

Just some random thoughts from an admitted amateur, but if you're not projected in the first round, I can see a compelling argument for giving college a try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You see, no offense intended, but I think that is a simplistic way of looking at it.  I don't claim to be an expert here, which is why I am asking the questions I am...

What 18-year-old will save his signing bonus for college if his baseball career never materializes?  I'm guessing most will blow it.  Then if they blow out their knee, they are double screwed.  Broke and no paid-for education to fall back on.

If he has the discipline to prepay his college tuition with his signing bonus, have at it, but I expect that would be hard to convince a teenager to do...especially if they are confident of earning a lot of money playing baseball.  I'm guessing from what little I've read, his signing bonus would be in the half million range.  That's hardly life-changing money even if it's twice that and that small fortune can quickly disappear in the hands of a young man who's never had more than maybe a thousand bucks in the bank.  Maybe he's little Dave Ramsey, but here would be my pitch for college baseball...

Come and play the game you love, get a free education and have four more (or three more) years to hang with your buddies and be a kid.  If your abilities shine through like I think they will, the signing bonus will be even bigger after you showcase your talents at the college level.  If you get hurt, at least you'll have a lot of fond memories and a free education to earn a living with.  I've never done either but I'll bet toiling in the minors feels a lot more like a job than playing baseball in college.

Just some random thoughts from an admitted amateur, but if you're not projected in the first round, I can see a compelling argument for giving college a try.

What 18 year old will save his money? A kid with a good head on his shoulders and parents that have, and will make sure he does.

He can play the game he loves and get paid. And assuming he goes in the top 3 rounds, what does he REALLY gain by going to college? What if he blows out his knee the year of the draft?

• Like 4

On 5/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, ephul said:

What 18 year old will save his money? A kid with a good head on his shoulders and parents that have, and will make sure he does.

He can play the game he loves and get paid. And assuming he goes in the top 3 rounds, what does he REALLY gain by going to college? What if he blows out his knee the year of the draft?

If he goes that high now going to college won’t change much I would imagine. It’s like a first rd pick coming back to school. Sure he could turn himself into a lottery pick or he can get hurt or get into trouble etc etc an hurt his draft stock. It is what it is. The dream is to make the majors...not become a CPA. Go for it if you think that is the best way to make it or go to college if you think you need that to make it. Life is hard and sucks for most people. Most people never sniff their dreams. Go for it. You can always take out a loan/work yourself through college and become that CPA later...like the rest of the world...it will always be there. I think it comes down to which avenue offers you the best path to the majors. Straight to the minors or mature a bit in college. Besides...a college education imo is over valued. Can always take up trade school...be a lineman, electrician, plumber, hvac...so many things..nursing...you got one shot at your dreams...figure out what is best and don’t look back.

• Like 2

LOL...OK, guys.  I don't think it's as cut & dried as you make it, but that's OK.  I know a local guy that went straight into the Cardinals system from high school and never made it.  The money is long gone, no college education and I think he's a coal miner now (and we know where the job prospects in that field are headed).

All I was saying (and it appears that this point was lost) is that there are compelling arguments for skipping a signing bonus that is a long way from life-changing money and going to college.  That's it.  Please don't make it an either/or decision.  Both sides have merit here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...OK, guys.  I don't think it's as cut & dried as you make it, but that's OK.  I know a local guy that went straight into the Cardinals system from high school and never made it.  The money is long gone, no college education and I think he's a coal miner now (and we know where the job prospects in that field are headed).

All I was saying (and it appears that this point was lost) is that there are compelling arguments for skipping a signing bonus that is a long way from life-changing money and going to college.  That's it.  Please don't make it an either/or decision.  Both sides have merit here.

So how is that "sunshine pumping" going these days?  Wink.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Of course they do. I just think somehow guys can’t go back to college after passing on it is overstated. If there is even the thought that they couldn’t manage his money to go back to school or set himself up with a nice down payment on a home then yeah he probably does need to go to school to learn how to prepare himself better for his future. College isn’t going anywhere. Student loans are always there even if you are broke. Or you don’t even need college if you want a trade school. I’m a guy the preaches education but be smart about your future...lots of people go through school don’t finish or even that do with a degree that might not help much and a bunch of student debt.
I think in the end it is simply what gives you the best chance to have a successful mlb career. If your ready for that big step up or you need more seasoning. I had a young man that worked for me that got drafted by the Tigers. Made AA but injuries ended his career. Was able to buy himself a car and buy himself a nice starter home when he was done. He invested his signing bonus and lived off his salary which wasn’t much but he was on the road mostly and didn’t have time to spend much anyways. Kid seems to have a lot of talent and a good head on his shoulders. I think he will be successful whichever road he takes.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

1-2 million isn't life changing money? Really?

Montgomery has a good family structure and a good head on his shoulders. They'll make sure he spends his money wisely.

Minor league ball doesn't pay great outside the signing bonus, so it is important to put it away. And every person has to have their "red line". If I fall to "x" spot in the draft and only get "x" amount signing bonus, would I be better off in college? Every kid is going to have a different strategy and red line, and none is right or wrong.

Colson could get drafted 1st round and pass on it to go to school. And that's fine and great. But to say a few million wouldn't be worth taking is nuts. Think about how far ahead all of us would be if we didn't have a mortgage, vehicle payments, or any payment for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ephul said:

1-2 million isn't life changing money? Really?

Montgomery has a good family structure and a good head on his shoulders. They'll make sure he spends his money wisely.

Minor league ball doesn't pay great outside the signing bonus, so it is important to put it away. And every person has to have their "red line". If I fall to "x" spot in the draft and only get "x" amount signing bonus, would I be better off in college? Every kid is going to have a different strategy and red line, and none is right or wrong.

Colson could get drafted 1st round and pass on it to go to school. And that's fine and great. But to say a few million wouldn't be worth taking is nuts. Think about how far ahead all of us would be if we didn't have a mortgage, vehicle payments, or any payment for that matter.

Where are you getting that number?  I saw a half million dollar estimate for him.

• Like 1

It will be telling when the draft roles around. If he starts to slip past the first 2-3 rounds it’s likely that teams view him as being a college lock. This happens every MLB draft. That was the case with Jack Leiter who was dead set on going to Vandy for a couple years. Some guys just want to know what it was like to experience college and go play college baseball for a couple years. Guys pass up early round signing bonuses every year so don’t look to much into that. 

• Like 2

never understood why Baseball players can go pro out of high school but basketball players cant.

(just trying to throw something about basketball into this baseball thread on the basketball board. MODS is that ok, dont want to screw up a baseball thread on the basketball board.)

Edited by Indykev
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

One thing I will point out.. "no college education" can be rectified fairly easily at this point in time. Online makes it so much easier. If you want a college education, it's as easy as it's ever been.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

One thing I will point out.. "no college education" can be rectified fairly easily at this point in time. Online makes it so much easier. If you want a college education, it's as easy as it's ever been.

Great point! I'd say the college "experience" can't be duplicated but for sure the barriers to a college education are certainly as low as they have ever been. I think we have this convo all the time with OAD etc etc. It's very easy for us to tell others what to do with their life...or in case of going pro their lottery ticket. Of course the IU fan in me wants to be selfish and hang on to these kids as long as possible but the adult in me...the one that knows how INCREDIBLY difficult life can be and especially how hard money can be to come by and how empowering a debt free start can be...geez can't begrudge anyone that will take the one in the hand vs two in the bush philosophy. Good luck to Colson. Seems to be a good kid with a good family and I'm sure will make a success which ever path he chooses. I'd say he is one of the fortunate ones. Lot's of others that don't have the support system or been taught the values that lead to being successful and those have a tough road ahead...the life of hard knocks if you will. I think this kids family will help him ensure he avoids as many painful mistakes as they can in his path ahead.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Great point! I'd say the college "experience" can't be duplicated but for sure the barriers to a college education are certainly as low as they have ever been. I think we have this convo all the time with OAD etc etc. It's very easy for us to tell others what to do with their life...or in case of going pro their lottery ticket. Of course the IU fan in me wants to be selfish and hang on to these kids as long as possible but the adult in me...the one that knows how INCREDIBLY difficult life can be and especially how hard money can be to come by and how empowering a debt free start can be...geez can't begrudge anyone that will take the one in the hand vs two in the bush philosophy. Good luck to Colson. Seems to be a good kid with a good family and I'm sure will make a success which ever path he chooses. I'd say he is one of the fortunate ones. Lot's of others that don't have the support system or been taught the values that lead to being successful and those have a tough road ahead...the life of hard knocks if you will. I think this kids family will help him ensure he avoids as many painful mistakes as they can in his path ahead.

I'd never give those 9 years up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'd never give those 9 years up.

I had some great moments no doubt but then again most of mine during those years happened during the summer outside of college back home with my HS friends. That said I approached college more like a job. On an academic scholarship I had expectations that I had to achieve and I knew what I wanted to get out of it and wanted to get it over as quick as possible. Between working while going to school for spending money and taking summer classes to get through as fast as possible it was a means to an end I suppose. No doubt it was fun but I think someone can have just as much outside of college if that is what they seek. I think almost everyone besides my roommates in college I partied with were not college students funny enough lol. It was usually my HS friends we'd meet up with or my roommates. There was certainly some on campus stuff no doubt but nothing memorable as those with our hometown friends. But I'd say I'm in the minority on that lol. Everyone else I talk to is like you. Personally if you could give me 4 more years spending time with my HS friends or 4 more years of time with my dad or even let me meet my wife 4 years earlier I'd take that over it in an instance. In this case on the road with a bunch of dudes playing a sport for a living...knowing what young sports guys do...probably wouldn't suck either....I'm sure any ex professional b-ball player has as many stories as any of our college ones lol. 

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

never understood why Baseball players can go pro out of high school but basketball players cant.

(just trying to throw something about basketball into this baseball thread on the basketball board. MODS is that ok, dont want to screw up a baseball thread on the basketball board.)

Well because the NBA says so and it's their rule. Just like the NFL rule is 3 years out of high school. It's up to each league to make their own rules. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It will be telling when the draft roles around. If he starts to slip past the first 2-3 rounds it’s likely that teams view him as being a college lock. This happens every MLB draft. That was the case with Jack Leiter who was dead set on going to Vandy for a couple years. Some guys just want to know what it was like to experience college and go play college baseball for a couple years. Guys pass up early round signing bonuses every year so don’t look to much into that. 

Yeah, I have no idea what Colson will do and I'll acknowledge a case can be made for either choice.  I just remember what the local guy once said about spending years in the minors...didn't sound like a picnic to me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31651109/kiley-mcdaniel-2021-mlb-mock-draft-20-new-no-1-gets-jack-leiter-kumar-rocker

22. Chicago White Sox

Colson Montgomery, SS, Southridge HS (Indiana), Indiana commit

Montgomery and SoCal prep SS Max Muncy have been tied to the White Sox most and at least one of them will be here, possibly both. After years of picking near the top with more conservative college prospects, teams expect the White Sox to make an upside play here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31651109/kiley-mcdaniel-2021-mlb-mock-draft-20-new-no-1-gets-jack-leiter-kumar-rocker

22. Chicago White Sox

Colson Montgomery, SS, Southridge HS (Indiana), Indiana commit

Montgomery and SoCal prep SS Max Muncy have been tied to the White Sox most and at least one of them will be here, possibly both. After years of picking near the top with more conservative college prospects, teams expect the White Sox to make an upside play here.

Wow....if he goes that high....forget about going to IU. I would be happy and sad at the same time. 

Not to be a fuddy duddy but is there a reason this is in the basketball section and not the baseball? 

Edited by dgambill