Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

On 2/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, btownqb said:

2021 is incredibly loaded. Maybe not at top heavy as 2007, but the depth of it is unreal 

Montgomery (love hes a legit 3 sport star) 

Blackmon

Hopf 

Sisley 

Lander

Furst 

Kaufman (if he grows more he and Furst could be dominat)

Jacobi (not sure exactly where he fits at the next level) 

Thomas 

I don’t think he plays at the IU level but I have enjoyed over the last few years watching Trevor Taylor at Edgewood right here in Monroe county.   

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I didn’t know you guarded bailey !  Anyways I saw the montomgery kid for the first time last night ...hadn’t heard of him previously ( not strange since I’m 3 hours north ) ...I was impressed!

He will be a top pick in the MLB draft. Won't be playing basketball. Very much like Scott Rolen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

He will be a top pick in the MLB draft. Won't be playing basketball. Very much like Scott Rolen

You think as in first few rounds good ? Scott rolen is pretty high praise.  I was intrigued enough after the game to read up on him and by all accounts he seems like a good kid on top of being an exceptional athlete ....easy person to cheer for ...also impressive southridge was in final four in football his freshman year and state finals in baseball his sophomore year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ephul said:

How does he compare to guys like Nick Schnell (Roncalli) and Ashe Russell (Cathedral) who have been local high draft pick recently in MLB. You could throw Nolan Watson (Lawrence North) in there as well.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I read this awhile back.  Might just fill in some pieces for those that don't know who this kid is...

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/05/04/colson-montgomery-being-recruited-d-1-college-basketball-and-baseball/3618007002/

That’s one of the first ones I found after I started researching him Tuesday.  He looked the part at north Daviess you could tell he was an Elite athlete just by watching him warm up....my favorite part was his coach was pretty whiny ( like more than usual for a coach) and he didn’t take on his coaches demeanor he kinda took the highs and lows of the game in a very even keeled way.  You could tell he has leadership qualities.

3 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

You think as in first few rounds good ? Scott rolen is pretty high praise.  I was intrigued enough after the game to read up on him and by all accounts he seems like a good kid on top of being an exceptional athlete ....easy person to cheer for ...also impressive southridge was in final four in football his freshman year and state finals in baseball his sophomore year 

An umpire/ref that has been doing it for decades and does his games told me 1st round wouldn't surprise him. Said he has the smoothest swing he's ever seen.

Still a long way to go though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

How does he compare to guys like Nick Schnell (Roncalli) and Ashe Russell (Cathedral) who have been local high draft pick recently in MLB. You could throw Nolan Watson (Lawrence North) in there as well.

He’s different than all of them. He’s a SS. Schnell plays OF and the other two got drafted as pitchers. I don’t know that he’ll be a first rounder out of high school but he could be picked fairly high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ephul said:

An umpire/ref that has been doing it for decades and does his games told me 1st round wouldn't surprise him. Said he has the smoothest swing he's ever seen.

Still a long way to go though

Good call and guys that watch that much baseball can tell when someone stands out ...my freshman year at Blackford we played rob Bowen at Fort Wayne homestead ....we had a solid team and he wasn’t just better than everyone in the field ...everything he did was SIGNIFICANTLY different especially the way the ball came off his bat ...he ended up drafted in the second round 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Saw him play last year, very smooth player. Fun to watch . I have also heard,they expect him to be drafted 1st round by MLB. 

Yep that’s what I read as well ....seemed like a hard worker and stand up kid by all accounts I’m glad I came to this tournament I’ve found several new kids to root for 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob said:

Saw him play last year, very smooth player. Fun to watch . I have also heard,they expect him to be drafted 1st round by MLB. 

9 hours ago, Beowulf50 said:

Yep MLB is what I have been hearing as well. 

It’s a slim chance he goes first round. There’s so much that goes into the MLB draft that’s differed than other drafts and it’s to early to project. That’s said I would expect him to go in the top 5 rounds at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It’s a slim chance he goes first round. There’s so much that goes into the MLB draft that’s differed than other drafts and it’s to early to project. That’s said I would expect him to go in the top 5 rounds at least.

I would say going in the top 5 rounds of a 629 round draft is still pretty darn impressive!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

First round means you’re really really separated ....not all but MOST high school first rounders are big time arms for pitching prospects so a position player really has to stand out ....even going in the top 5 is seriously impressive 

• 1 month later...