Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

I wonder where he’s pegged to go in the MLB draft out of high school?  If he’s a first rounder, he might be tough to get to campus unless he is determined to go to school.  Normally if a kid puts the word out he’s going to college, period, the mlb teams simply won’t take him high.  If he slips, the way the money works in baseball you can’t really get away with paying a later pick exorbitantly high money.  So, if he’s, say, a top round talent, is he willing to forego college for what would be millions in a signing bonus?  This could be interesting. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder where he’s pegged to go in the MLB draft out of high school?  If he’s a first rounder, he might be tough to get to campus unless he is determined to go to school.  Normally if a kid puts the word out he’s going to college, period, the mlb teams simply won’t take him high.  If he slips, the way the money works in baseball you can’t really get away with paying a later pick exorbitantly high money.  So, if he’s, say, a top round talent, is he willing to forego college for what would be millions in a signing bonus?  This could be interesting. 

I'm told, as of now.... this commitment is going to stick. He will be at IU. 

Mercer is building something big time. 

4 of top 8 SRs committed. 4 of the top 9 JRs committed. Recruiting the midwest REALLY well. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm told, as of now.... this commitment is going to stick. He will be at IU. 

Mercer is building something big time. 

4 of top 8 SRs committed. 4 of the top 9 JRs committed. Recruiting the midwest REALLY well. 

I’ve gotten to see him play basketball 3 times and baseball zero .....I thought he was intriguing ....do you think he’s given up on the prospect of playing two sports ?

45 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’ve gotten to see him play basketball 3 times and baseball zero .....I thought he was intriguing ....do you think he’s given up on the prospect of playing two sports ?

The biggest issue with playing baseball and basketball in college is that the seasons overlap to much. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

The chances of him ever playing baseball at IU is low. Not zero by any means, but below 50%

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Think he’ll go way of the draft ? Someone had posted that players who commit to a school typically hurt their draft stock by doing so ...I’ve not followed enough to know if that’s accurate 

I think most high schoolers commit to a school even if they are going high in the draft.  You commit and then figure out whether you will ever go to college or entertain the pros.  So, the typical star player will have both be drafted and have a college commitment and they have a choice to make.  

If you are a first round pick, you can be looking at multiple millions guaranteed.  I think top ten picks get upwards of $4-5 million.  With that much money on the table, some of the high schoolers go start their baseball career in the minors because it’s a bird in the hand.

Some guys just tell the scouts “look I’m going to college.”  Inevitably they will fall in the draft if they make it known they aren’t leaving college.  Schools like Vandy, Stanford, etc sometimes can get the really hot high schoolers to stay in school.  Even still, the draft is so long, like 40 rounds, guys get drafted anyway, just insanely late.  

Probably the number one prospect in baseball right now is a kid named Gavin Lux, on the Dodgers. He came out of Kenosha, Wisconsin as a shortstop four years ago. He had committed to Arizona State.  But, the Dodgers took him in the first round and he bid adieu to Arizona State.  He’s already a major leaguer.  But, if he told scouts, I’m sticking with ASU no matter what, he probably wouldn’t have gone in the first.  

Another technique is to leverage college by telling the scouts, I want to be picked in the top ten, or I will want $4 million.  If I don’t get that amount of money, I’m sticking with college.  A team could call his bluff and take him and offer him $3 million and see if he’s serious.  It’s tricky because there are complex rules on how much money teams can spend on their draft class.  There’s a calculation based on the number of draft picks and how high the picks are.  But star high schoolers often have a number they want, or else, college it is.  But teams only have so much money to pay their whole draft class so it prevents them from just opening up the checkbook on a bunch of players.  If you go over, the league would yank your number one pick the next year, which I don’t think has ever happened. Teams know their budget to the penny.  

Many high schoolers only think of college as a backup plan. They will go to the minors even if they are picked in the 14th round and the money is tiny.  They just want to play in the minors and get going.  It depends on the kid.  But’s even there they would have a college commitment in case of a major problem like an injury that hurts their draft status.

The baseball draft is really complicated with a whole series of factors beyond just taking the best player.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Think he’ll go way of the draft ? Someone had posted that players who commit to a school typically hurt their draft stock by doing so ...I’ve not followed enough to know if that’s accurate 

That'll be interesting. Actually just had that discussion with someone. Could cause him to fall a bit if teams are uncertain whether he will for sure sign.

He will have a big decision to make, but it's tough passing up that much guaranteed money

4 hours ago, ephul said:

The chances of him ever playing baseball at IU is low. Not zero by any means, but below 50%

Not as low as you’d think. He’s good but baseball drafting is more than that especially with drafting high school kids. He probably doesn’t get drafted until rounds 5-10 at the earliest. He would benefit from going to college at that point much like Zack Thompson did.

Here’s the deal with the MLB draft.

•Teams only have so much they can spend on draft picks. So they don’t always draft the most talented player. They will take a few of talented high school kids or draft eligible juniors and sophomores and then draft, JUCO, or high school seniors that they can sign below slot value to save money. PBR has Montgomery ranked 75th amongst high school players. That means he likely won’t get drafted in the top 5 rounds. So he will likely benefit from going to school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Not as low as you’d think. He’s good but baseball drafting is more than that especially with drafting high school kids. He probably doesn’t get drafted until rounds 5-10 at the earliest. He would benefit from going to college at that point much like Zack Thompson did.

Guys I know that have been around awhile say first 3 rounds. I agree though, if he ends up being projected 5-10, may as well go to college.

32 minutes ago, ephul said:

Guys I know that have been around awhile say first 3 rounds. I agree though, if he ends up being projected 5-10, may as well go to college.

We’ll see plenty of time for things to change. It may be something that the kid decides he wants to go to college regardless. He sure as heck wouldn’t be the first. We’ll find out in a year and a half I guess. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

Maybe we can get Justin Parker on here to discuss how all this MLB stuff goes?  That guy should know but I digress.

Seriously though, what are the NCAA rules on playing a pro sport and playing a different sport in college.  Danny Ainge did it, didn't he?

It can be worked out in the players contracts. Amir Garrett played a year or two of basketball at Saint John's after getting drafted and signing with the Reds. 

• Thanks 1