Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Danny Ainge says hello.

I know Ainge played professional baseball and basketball. Garrett played minor league baseball and college basketball. Playing minor league baseball and college basketball would almost be easier than college baseball and college basketball based on the way the seasons line up. It's hard to do especially for a position player and that's my point with Montgomery. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

I know Ainge played professional baseball and basketball. Garrett played minor league baseball and college basketball. Playing minor league baseball and college basketball would almost be easier than college baseball and college basketball based on the way the seasons line up. It's hard to do especially for a position player and that's my point with Montgomery. 

Ainge was a 3rd baseman.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Ainge was a 3rd baseman.

I know but the preparation is a little different today than it was back then. Not to mention do you think a college baseball coach would want a kid to miss 2 months of the season because the basketball team made the NCAA tournament. That's the problem. College baseball starts in February. Not to mention you miss a ton of practice time trying to play basketball. It's much more possible if you are a bullpen pitcher than a position player. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know but the preparation is a little different today than it was back then. Not to mention do you think a college baseball coach would want a kid to miss 2 months of the season because the basketball team made the NCAA tournament. That's the problem. College baseball starts in February. Not to mention you miss a ton of practice time trying to play basketball. It's much more possible if you are a bullpen pitcher than a position player. 

The discussion about Montgomery should be where he goes in the MLB draft.

14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

To each his own, but first, crap, even second round money can be life changing money. Not too many pass that up. 

Yes, it can be. He's not projected to go in the first 3 rounds. That said can his draft stock go up? Of course but it might not if there are already rumors he won't sign. That happens every year were guys fall in the draft or don't get picked at all because they are set on going to school. Look at Jack Leiter at Vanderbilt as an example of that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

the kid will be playing MLB would love him as wslk on but can't see or think it would happen

If he attends IU instead of going pro, he would not be able to walk on to the basketball team and receive a baseball scholarship. If he played basketball it would be a basketball scholarship or no scholarship.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

If he attends IU instead of going pro, he would not be able to walk on to the basketball team and receive a baseball scholarship. If he played basketball it would be a basketball scholarship or no scholarship.

Not disputing that but why is that so? We have seen several players play 2 college sports. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not disputing that but why is that so? We have seen several players play 2 college sports. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't understand that either but maybe it has something to do with baseball  not being a full ride scholarship.

It's to prevent schools from loading their football or basketball teams with scholarship "walk ons." If they play football, they receive a football scholarship or no scholarship. If they play basketball, they receive a basketball scholarship or no scholarship unless they have a football scholarship.

There's few other sports that are affected by the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Rules_for_multi-sport_athletes

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

It's to prevent schools from loading their football or basketball teams with scholarship "walk ons." If they play football, they receive a football scholarship or no scholarship. If they play basketball, they receive a basketball scholarship or no scholarship unless they have a football scholarship.

There's few other sports that are affected by the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Rules_for_multi-sport_athletes

I didn't see anything about baseball. I truly thought that if he has a baseball scholarship he could walk on the basketball team. Seems odd not to be allowed. I think he should do it, but odd

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

So he would be able to play basketball and baseball (assuming the coaches were all okay with that) but couldn't do so on a baseball scholarship.

The rule makes sense if its a low level sport just trying to find a place for a great basketball player without losing a scholarship but baseball is so limited on the number they have to begin with. Can't imagine any coach sacrificing 1 to help basketball. I'm sure it has happened hence the reason for the rule. Thanks