OT: But I HAVE to have smart basketball fans opine

BADGERVOL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was SO she’ll shocked that someone could even write something like this. If you’re looking for clicks you’d throw in one of like Tracy McGrady or someone else and then make it top 5 and then just hope people read it and wanted to reply. D Wade can beat MJ one on one?! WHAT?! Steph Curry? Can anyone fathom how quickly MJ would light UP Steph?!! Omg. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Number one on that list is Kobe, no questions, no debates, and even that is 60/40 in favor of Jordan at best.

2 and 3 are Bird in his prime and LeBron, and now we're down to 70/30. What Bird would give up in athleticism, he'd make up for in being the downright dirty MFer he is (and that is meant as a sincere compliment). LeBron is the total opposite. Only way he hangs that close is because he's such a freak athlete.

4 is a guy they didn't have on the list: Scottie Pippin. Maybe an 80/20 chance. Scottie was on par with Jordan as a defender but his key advantage: he knew MJs game better than anyone. He'd know every tendency, every tell. Jordan would bet him, but he'd be scraping the bottom of his bag of tricks to do it.

5, and now we're down to 90/10, Magic.

Wild Card: Davis. What level of physicality are we playing at? If it's today's relatively hands off game, OK, he's got a prayer. Early 90s? I don't care if he has 5" on him, Davis would leave the court and think he'd been in a boxing match.

And that's about it. DWade would give him hell, if only because he may be the scrappiest player ever, but miniscule real chance. McGrady? Please.

The thing that ticks me off is that I’m a youth minister and I’m surrounded by kids who think all the current players are better than in the past. I try to explain how the rules have changed everything and the true greats in each generation would be great in any generation (which is true of today) but that today’s player’s stats are greatly exaggerated by the rules that prohibit anything that resembles defense with any physical contact.

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Number one on that list is Kobe, no questions, no debates, and even that is 60/40 in favor of Jordan at best.

2 and 3 are Bird in his prime and LeBron, and now we're down to 70/30. What Bird would give up in athleticism, he'd make up for in being the downright dirty MFer he is (and that is meant as a sincere compliment). LeBron is the total opposite. Only way he hangs that close is because he's such a freak athlete.

4 is a guy they didn't have on the list: Scottie Pippin. Maybe an 80/20 chance. Scottie was on par with Jordan as a defender but his key advantage: he knew MJs game better than anyone. He'd know every tendency, every tell. Jordan would bet him, but he'd be scraping the bottom of his bag of tricks to do it.

5, and now we're down to 90/10, Magic.

Wild Card: Davis. What level of physicality are we playing at? If it's today's relatively hands off game, OK, he's got a prayer. Early 90s? I don't care if he has 5" on him, Davis would leave the court and think he'd been in a boxing match.

And that's about it. DWade would give him hell, if only because he may be the scrappiest player ever, but miniscule real chance. McGrady? Please.

This is an excellent breakdown and my 14 year old son WILL be reading this tonight although he doesn’t buy into the modern day hype of today’s players.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Did none of you read it? The article said no one could be Jordan 1:1......

I'd question how anyone can think Jordan would be LBJ 1:1. Please name an area Jordan has an advantage over him.... it isn't size, strength, shooting or length. 

Jordan in his prime would go around Lebron anytime he’d like to.

lebron would be harassed by Jordan’s defense and it would challenge both his inside shot and Jordan would still be able to recover on his drives.

Lebron would have the advantage in the post without question offensively but how would Lebron defend Jordan’s fade away either? 

I grant you that that match up is very intriguing but I don’t believe Lebron has the edge.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd question how anyone can think Jordan would be LBJ 1:1. Please name an area Jordan has an advantage over him.... it isn't size, strength, shooting or length. 

Competitive drive of Jordan would be enough to convince me that he could get his fair share.

6 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Jordan in his prime would go around Lebron anytime he’d like to.

lebron would be harassed by Jordan’s defense and it would challenge both his inside shot and Jordan would still be able to recover on his drives.

Lebron would have the advantage in the post without question offensively but how would Lebron defend Jordan’s fade away either? 

I grant you that that match up is very intriguing but I don’t believe Lebron has the edge.

How is Jordan going to stop LeBron's inside shot? MJ would look like a child next to LBJ. The bigger issue is how will Jordan score efficiently inside against a bigger, stronger defender that is quicker than the guys he is used to having guard him? It isn't like MJ has a strong outside jumper to fall back on. 

I'll jump back in but still refuse to read the article after seeing McGrady.   

Lebron absolutely has the physicality and ability to play with MJ.  The thing about Jordan was he knew how to foul.  LeBron is a beast, why we can't admit it across the board is just sour hateraide.  

Lebron with his size and shooting may be a harder to break one on one than Jordan.  I may even be willing to lean Lebron 60-40 one on one.  

Kobe vs Jordan would go Jordan 7-8 of 10 to Jordan.  

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Defense and quickness clearly go to Jordan, and I know you don't see it that way.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:20 AM, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo someone else. I saw beat Jordan and a picture of McGrady. I don't blame the writer. I blame whatever editor paid him or her for that crap. Jordan is the greatest. No one is beating him at anything. No one. 

But that's what this "article" says. 

It's a lame read. Imo, it's just another MJ fan - fest. T-Mac was an incredible scorer, there's really no reasonable way to dispute that, he was fantastic in his prime, but this puff piece correctly says there's no way T-Mac could stop MJ defensively.

Archived