Perspective on Romeo's Freshman Season

We compared Romeo's season to two IU legends -- one who had similar hype coming in, and another that was part of a similarly bad team for his first year.  We then extrapolate his stats to see where he would end up if he played four years like they did.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/archie-miller-on-romeo-langfords-freshman-season-awesome/

Yeah, could you imagine Romeo playing on a team with Cheaney, both Graham's, Anderson, Nover, Reynolds, and others.  I think his scoring average would be about the same but a lot more efficient.  He would have less ball handling responsibilities, more open lanes to drive, more shooters to pass to and less need to shoot threes. 

The way I see it... opportunity lost. That is.... becoming one of greatest in one of the country's most storied programs.  Chaney is still the leading BIG scorer and hence the all-time IU scoring leader.   That is something he will be able to take to his grave and beyond.  Romeo, and so many others will never have that legendary memory to spend the rest of their lives reliving.  I can't imagine IU ever erecting a statue to Romeo.

Legendary stuff is built over years.  In fact to this day, Keith Smart says not a day goes by when someone, somewhere mentions to him the shot he made to win the NCAAT.

Romeo is having a phenomenal season by Freshman standards. Besides Morgan the only other option he had to take pressure off of him was a developing RP (until concussion protocol derailed his development) and maybe, maybe Smith (but his mind appears elsewhere). 

Still putting up almost 20 per game while having 1 other option (who by the way is double teamed since no one can shoot from deep) is an unreal task. To the smart fans Romeo has a done great job given what's surrounding him...and for him to choose US I'll always be thankful!

50 minutes ago, Goose said:

Yeah, could you imagine Romeo playing on a team with Cheaney, both Graham's, Anderson, Nover, Reynolds, and others.  I think his scoring average would be about the same but a lot more efficient.  He would have less ball handling responsibilities, more open lanes to drive, more shooters to pass to and less need to shoot threes. 

Great point.  I don't know how bad Romeo's production has been impacted by our inability to hit 3's, but it definitely has been impacted.  To be sure, his own inability to hit 3's hasn't helped either 🤣

When I saw the title of your article, I thought for sure that one of the comparisons would be to Vonleh.  I know they are not similar players, but they were on teams with deficiencies in outside shooting.  The '13-14' team had similar problems in stretching the floor with the three. It had Yogi who did an incredible job shooting 40% on 220 attempts, a decent 33% shooting from Sheehey on 100 attempts, and Vonleh shot a great 48.5% on a limited 33 tries. Evan  Gordon was the only other threat shooting 33% on 54 tries, nobody else could even hit better than Austin Etherington's 23.8%.  The problem that I remember then, and is applicable now is the middle is just so crowded.  Even though there are talented players on both teams, there are just too many players that you can hedge off of and they won't make you pay for it on a consistent basis. 

That team went 17-15 for the season and 7-11 in the conference, looks like IU will have work to do to have a similar record this year.

The game on CBS against tOSU....brought something to light for me.  Romeo(right now) has the 3rd highest scoring average for a frosh in IU history.  Now that can be scrutinized, but that is another topic.  He is behind Mike Woodson and Eric Gordon.  Dang fine company to be in for sure.  But Romeo's freshman year absolutely mirrors those two guys.  Woodson arrived and Benson was there.  Gordon arrives and D.J. was there.  Romeo arrives and Juwan was there.  Woodson's frosh season ended in disappointment as did Gordon's.  Now we got Romeo's.  Just throwing it out there leaving Vonleh out of the discussion, but the same could be said for him.

1 hour ago, rico said:

The game on CBS against tOSU....brought something to light for me.  Romeo(right now) has the 3rd highest scoring average for a frosh in IU history.  Now that can be scrutinized, but that is another topic.  He is behind Mike Woodson and Eric Gordon.  Dang fine company to be in for sure.  But Romeo's freshman year absolutely mirrors those two guys.  Woodson arrived and Benson was there.  Gordon arrives and D.J. was there.  Romeo arrives and Juwan was there.  Woodson's frosh season ended in disappointment as did Gordon's.  Now we got Romeo's.  Just throwing it out there leaving Vonleh out of the discussion, but the same could be said for him.

Difference being that both Woodson and Gordon came to teams with multiple upper classmen starting or playing significant minutes.

In Woodson's first yr. there was at least one Senior and 2 Juniors starting every game. Gordon had DJ, Stemler and White, all Seniors either starting or playing a lot, and Ellis and Thomas as Juniors. 

Romeo has Morgan. Davis is a Junior, but with his injury history, he's probably more like a Sophomore. Greene is the only other upperclassmen playing much at all, and not sure that he provides much guidance to a kid like Romeo.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Difference being that both Woodson and Gordon came to teams with multiple upper classmen starting or playing significant minutes.

In Woodson's first yr. there was at least one Senior and 2 Juniors starting every game. Gordon had DJ, Stemler and White, all Seniors either starting or playing a lot, and Ellis and Thomas as Juniors. 

Romeo has Morgan. Davis is a Junior, but with his injury history, he's probably more like a Sophomore. Greene is the only other upperclassmen playing much at all, and not sure that he provides much guidance to a kid like Romeo.

Didn't Gordon also have an a hand injury that hurt his scoring in the second half of the season?

For those IU "fans" who are saying "Romeo Langford is officially the biggest disappointment in Indiana Basketball history", a few things:

1. You are officially an idiot and not representative of true IU fans
  2. I hope you're weren't saying during Romeo's recruitment, "Come to IU, Romeo. If you go anywhere else, you'll just be another one-and-done player, but at IU you'll be a legend forever in the state"
  3. You are officially an idiot and not representative of true IU fans
  4. As the article illustrates, he's only a dispapointment compared to YOUR unrealistic hype/expectations. He's the 3rd leading freshman scorer in IU history.
  5. You are officially an idiot and not representative of true IU fans

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Woodson was on a 14-13 team as a freshman.  Butch Carter was a frosh on that team as well.  I thought I spelled everything out in my post on this?

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn't Gordon also have an a hand injury that hurt his scoring in the second half of the season?

Yes.  Eric played the entire second half of the season with an injured wrist.  For which he wore a wrap most of the time.  Additionally, Gordon missed four games with a shoulder injury. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

For those IU "fans" who are saying "Romeo Langford is officially the biggest disappointment in Indiana Basketball history", a few things:

2. I hope you're weren't saying during Romeo's recruitment, "Come to IU, Romeo. If you go anywhere else, you'll just be another one-and-done player, but at IU you'll be a legend forever in the state"
  4. As the article illustrates, he's only a dispapointment compared to YOUR unrealistic hype/expectations. He's the 3rd leading freshman scorer in IU history.

Clapping.gif.59df4b49374703b1ca52923909db00c2.gif

1 hour ago, rico said:

Woodson was on a 14-13 team as a freshman.  Butch Carter was a frosh on that team as well.  I thought I spelled everything out in my post on this?

Guess I must have missed it. What I read was that you said Woodson had Benson and Gordon had DJ. My point was that both those guys came into teams that had multiple experienced players who either started or played a lot of minutes. Other than Juwan, whose leadership skills are questionable, Romeo didn’t have the advantage of several guys to help him figure things out. Gordon and Woodson had that advantage 

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

5 years from now, those idiots complaining about Romeo will proudly claim him for IU when he plays in an NBA all-star game.

Not me. More power for kids that leave for the NBA early.  But when they do... I am done with them, unless of course they stay

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

It has occurred to me to try to track down a few Tweets of people begging a player to come to IU and then later those same people Tweeting at those same players that they are overrated or they suck and need to transfer.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's not left yet.  You are judging before he even does what you are judging him for.

Actually, it's not me.  After talking to people I know, who know more about the game, than I will ever know... to a man.... all feel Romeo should move on.  Yes, he has work to do. However they all feel he can get work done, while getting paid to do it.  Now.... he can test the waters, and come back for another year.  Something I would like to see.  However, the general consensus, currently, among them,  is that Romeo is and should  be a one and done. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Actually, it's not me.  After talking to people I know, who know more about the game, than I will ever know... to a man.... all feel Romeo should move on.  Yes, he has work to do. However they all feel he can get work done, while getting paid to do it.  Now.... he can test the waters, and come back for another year.  Something I would like to see.  However, the general consensus, currently, among them,  is that Romeo is and should  be a one and done. 

I wish nothing but the best for Romeo. He has in my opinion been an outstanding Hoosier. It is not his fault that this team has had the injuries it has. It is also not his fault that many of his teammates weaknesses and immaturity affects his performance. Put some shooters on this team and Romeo would be scoring at much higher clip. The young man is a freshman. He has outperformed almost everyone on this team. I wish he would come back but if you were in his position would you take the money and run or come back for another year? To me it is a no brainer. 

Archived