If we go 0-7 (which could happen) to close out the year..

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

ESPN called Tom Crean a brilliant hire.

He was.  Tell me who we were going to get that was better given the dumpster fire they were walking into.

Sure, I understand his flaws and quirks, but he was a GREAT candidate to bring this program back to respectability when other chicken-hearts like Tony Bennett ran away from the challenge.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sure, I understand his flaws and quirks, but he was a GREAT candidate to bring this program back to respectability when other chicken-hearts like Tony Bennett ran away from the challenge.

You've got that right.  I was reading an article the other day, proposing that IU bring back Kelvin Sampson to replace Miller.  Are they nuts?  Yeah, I never have said that Sampson was not a good coach.  However, look at what he did to despoil the reputation of our great university !  I would never want Sampson back, because of that. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

He was.  Tell me who we were going to get that was better given the dumpster fire they were walking into.

I don't know.  Who did we offer?  I said at the time that Sean Miller was the obvious choice.  To my knowledge only Bennett turned us down and it was very unique circumstances.  Crean should've been canned after year 3.  We certainly held onto him way too long.

There was also that blog from the Marquette beat writer right when we hired Crean.  It was almost cryptic reading it 9 years later.  He said more or less that Crean was a terrible fit at Indiana because he simply was a poor basketball coach and what Indiana needs is just a damn good basketball coach.  Not a flashy recruiter or smooth talker.  Just a damn good basketball coach.  That holds true today.

I try to avoid the coaching carousel talk and this guy might not be liked much.  I think Thad Matta is a very solid coach and has a lot of coaching years left if wants to pursue coaching again.  I read some recent article he is hanging out in the state of Indiana enjoying time with family.   His last 4-5 years at OSU were nothing to brag about but he was really good before that. 

17 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I try to avoid the coaching carousel talk and this guy might not be liked much.  I think Thad Matta is a very solid coach and has a lot of coaching years left if wants to pursue coaching again.  I read some recent article he is hanging out in the state of Indiana enjoying time with family.   His last 4-5 years at OSU were nothing to brag about but he was really good before that. 

I would agree with you except for the fact that his body is just a mess! It doesn’t matter if his mind is OK if he can barely stand up and walk along the sidelines during a game. My biggest fear is that his body has passed them by… Not the game. 

32 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't know.  Who did we offer?  To my knowledge only Bennett turned us down and it was very unique circumstances.  Crean should've been canned after year 3.  We certainly held onto him way too long.

There was also that blog from the Marquette beat writer right when we hired Crean.  It was almost cryptic reading it 9 years later.  He said more or less that Crean was a terrible fit at Indiana because he simply was a poor basketball coach and what Indiana needs is just a damn good basketball coach.  Not a flashy recruiter or smooth talker.  Just a damn good basketball coach.  That holds true today.

Being from Wisconsin and watching him coach for all those years at Marquette this was exactly how I felt when we hired him. I was 80 to 85% sure that he was never going to pan out in the long haul. I was still grateful that a C+ level coach was willing to come to Indiana when I was starting to feel like no one wanted the job… But I did not think that he was a good fit at IU long-haul. 

20 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

So, you’re saying that he should take over for Pork Chop at Purdue?

49 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

To my knowledge only Bennett turned us down and it was very unique circumstances. 

Yes. It was publicized that Bennett turned down IU.  And the speculation was, that it was because IU forced Kathi Bennett (Bennett's sister) to resign. Had that not happened, I am of the opinion that Bennett most likely would have been the men's coach at IU.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't know.  Who did we offer?  I said at the time that Sean Miller was the obvious choice.  To my knowledge only Bennett turned us down and it was very unique circumstances.  Crean should've been canned after year 3.  We certainly held onto him way too long.

A day before Crean was hired the rumor that the next coach was gong to be Lon Krueger

17 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I would agree with you except for the fact that his body is just a mess! It doesn’t matter if his mind is OK if he can barely stand up and walk along the sidelines during a game. My biggest fear is that his body has passed them by… Not the game. 

Not sure how many are aware of how close Thad came to being Georgia's coach

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/dawgnation/breaking-news-thad-matta-turns-georgias-16-million-offer-coach-basketball-team

Hard to believe he's only 51

I do and have always believed the 20-21 basketball season is the measuring stick and the year of high expectations for CAM. We should have at that time a roster of CAM’s players with likely sophomore KBJ and TJD along with a junior Rob with Race, Hunter, and Anderson and senior Al. Along with any potential special freshman that might contribute (hopefully Morton). That is the year I expect us to possibly win a B1G championship and make a run at a final four. If we are underperforming then after 4 full seasons a real conversation about Archie and him being the right guy would have to happen. Next year will be important for growth but the following has to have results. 

I don't think Archie should be fired after year 2, but if we lose out his seat should be hot.

If he misses the tournament next year he should be gone.  He inherited a much better roster than Crean and to take the same amount of time to get to the dance is unacceptable. 

The last two years his teams have failed the "I give a "crap" test" too many times.

One thing I will say as a pure supporter of CAM, I’ve followed college football and basketball closely for 25-28 years and if you take over a college FOOTBALL program that’s a mess you need 4-5 years to fix it. A basketball team shouldn’t need 4-5 but rather 3-4. Less athletes needed means you can nail down 3 classes in a row and be hitting stride IN year 4 at the latest. That I agree with. That’s why starting next year we should see all the seeds planted to look to the following year to be a run to the Final four. So next year I’d be expecting a top half of conference, into the dance and win a game to set up 2020-21 as a BIG year AND that the recruiting shows that there will be no big drop off after 2020-21. 

7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

One thing I will say as a pure supporter of CAM, I’ve followed college football and basketball closely for 25-28 years and if you take over a college FOOTBALL program that’s a mess you need 4-5 years to fix it. A basketball team shouldn’t need 4-5 but rather 3-4. Less athletes needed means you can nail down 3 classes in a row and be hitting stride IN year 4 at the latest. That I agree with. That’s why starting next year we should see all the seeds planted to look to the following year to be a run to the Final four. So next year I’d be expecting a top half of conference, into the dance and win a game to set up 2020-21 as a BIG year AND that the recruiting shows that there will be no big drop off after 2020-21. 

I will just make one little caveat.  Next year will only be his 2nd recruiting class.

Archived