Minnesota Pregame Thread

rbkl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Race Thompson has neither been healthy, nor available in a non-RS year for a game in his home state before. We've never heard that part, in fairness. 

I hope he does not play (hear me out), I think that whatever we get out of Race this year is going to be extremely minimal and so I want him to sit the rest of the year "recovering from the concussion".  Why?  Because I still envision an opportunity for Race to still have 4 playing years at Indiana.  He has 3 left after this and still has the ability to apply for a medical redshirt to get a sixth year at Indiana (Evan Eschmeyer and Jess Settles being 2 examples I can think of).  I think a 6th year senior Race could be a man among boys and the potential to get that sixth year is of far more value than burning the medical redshirt opportunity in a year that is basically over anyway.

Just my 2 pennies.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hope he does not play (hear me out), I think that whatever we get out of Race this year is going to be extremely minimal and so I want him to sit the rest of the year "recovering from the concussion".  Why?  Because I still envision an opportunity for Race to still have 4 playing years at Indiana.  He has 3 left after this and still has the ability to apply for a medical redshirt to get a sixth year at Indiana (Evan Eschmeyer and Jess Settles being 2 examples I can think of).  I think a 6th year senior Race could be a man among boys and the potential to get that sixth year is of far more value than burning the medical redshirt opportunity in a year that is basically over anyway.

Just my 2 pennies.

I could see him playing a Reid Travis role his junior and senior years. He's never going to be an above the rim guy. But give me a crafty defender and rebounder that gets putbacks and dishes any day.  He also gives you a defender with strength for the Nick Wards and Caleb Wessons in the B1G.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Just my 2 pennies.

If in fact the staff believe he can continue to improve and become a legit roll playing starter for those last two years then I’m game but the negative way to see it is that it takes up a scholarship for 6 years. That’s a lot to wrap up in a person. However if he can get there eventually we’ve already sort of “paid the price” at this point! Lol

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Just my 2 pennies.

Thats because he would be in his thirties.  Go watch "Benchwarmers"  he'd be like the Dominican guy one team brought in with a birth certificate that said "i am 12" written in crayon.

9 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Thats because he would be in his thirties.  Go watch "Benchwarmers"  he'd be like the Dominican guy one team brought in with a birth certificate that said "i am 12" written in crayon.

Lol.  Well, he reclassified to come a year early IIRC so in reality he would be the age of most 5th year seniors at that point I think (around 23).

If he is a good teammate and listens to the coaching staff, he could provide some of that leadership in year 5 and 6 that would allow for maybe bringing in some younger guys.

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Game day info, side by side stat comparison, keys to the game, and a prediction for Indiana at Minnesota.

That's a great picture of The Barn - it always looks so dark on TV.  From the ratings comparison, you provided, yikes.  I don't know.  This is gonna be a tough one to call. Could be close, could be a blowout.  Those stats suggest a close game, I think (but what the heck do I know, haha). They get to the line more, but they're not a great 3-point team, like us.  We're a better defender of the 3, our FG % is better....  I have no idea.  I'm thinking if Juwan can stay out of early foul trouble, we utilize the inside game, get them in foul trouble early, not rely on the 3.. I guess just play old fundamental basketball.  This is like the most analysis I've done on a game this year, and quite frankly, I'm procrastinating lol.   Thank you for all that you do!

I'm just gonna say a rosary 😉, cheer for our guys, and hope for the best!!  :) Game day still rocks!

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Just my 2 pennies.

I disagree. He needs to get on the floor at some point to find out if he can play or not at this level and gain experience. I honestly don’t want anyone to tie up a scholarship for 6 years. It’s not like the guys in front of him have been doing a great job either so if he can help IU pick up a few more wins this year then he needs to play. IU is still in the tournament by most of the experts right now by the way so that means if he can help win games than he needs to get minutes. Especially if we are trying to sell recruits that next year will be better.

4 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Game day info, side by side stat comparison, keys to the game, and a prediction for Indiana at Minnesota.

And that article lists the correct start time (I'm looking at the OP -  made me hustle for a 1pm tip 😒)

Archived