Realignment

Payday

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Once again you are talking "here and now".  I imagine your age plays some part in this.  It wasn't that long ago that Rutgers was a title contender.  Maryland has always been a decent program when they were in the ACC.  Believe it or not Purdue was one hell of a team back in the 70's.  I could go on.  But quit focusing on the "here and now'" aspect.

Rutgers had a few good seasons with Schiano, but before 2005, they had a 26 year bowl drought.  If we're going by program history, they are definitely one of the bottom 5.  Rutgers has gone to 10 bowl games in their entire history.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

Once again you are talking "here and now".  I imagine your age plays some part in this.  It wasn't that long ago that Rutgers was a title contender.  Maryland has always been a decent program when they were in the ACC.  Believe it or not Purdue was one hell of a team back in the 70's.  I could go on.  But quit focusing on the "here and now'" aspect.

In that case. You’ve torpedoed your own argument.  If teams ebb and flow, no need for any realignment. Maybe it’s your age. 

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Rutgers had a few good seasons with Schiano, but before 2005, they had a 26 year bowl drought.  If we're going by program history, they are definitely one of the bottom 5.  Rutgers has gone to 10 bowl games in their entire history.

Believe it or not, Rutgers' all-time winning % is over .500!  And IIRC they were pretty good in the 70's.  As a matter of fact, I think they went undefeated in '76 and didn't receive a bowl bid.

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

In that case. You’ve torpedoed your own argument.  If teams ebb and flow, no need for any realignment. Maybe it’s your age. 

No ebbs and flows here.  The fact remains that the 3 biggest powerhouses are stacked on one side.  tOSU, Michigan, and Penn St.  

14 hours ago, rico said:

5 worst?  Seems like everyone wants to look at the "here and now" aspect.  Hell, in the "here and now" it ain't balanced.  Put Michigan and Sparty on the other side.  This is not European Soccer leagues we are talking about.

It looks like all you are doing is try to make it the easiest for IU and not taking in account there are 13 other teams to consider.

Here is my try to realign and make it the most balance it can be.  I just paired teams off that has been historically about the same kind of programs and split them up.

OSU                                                                            MICHIGAN

UW                                                                              PSU

MSU                                                                            NEBRASKA                                                         

IOWA                                                                          NORTHWESTERN

MINNESOTA                                                             MARYLAND

UI                                                                                 RUTGERS 

PU                                                                                IU

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It looks like all you are doing is try to make it the easiest for IU and not taking in account there are 13 other teams to consider.

Well Scott, that is not the truth.  What I am trying to do is make it more balanced geographically.  And it can be done.   Some of you want to make the B1G like the the European Soccer leagues.  Well, it ain't gonna happen in the States with our sports.  I have witnessed damn fine teams from IU that didn't make the cut in the end.  As I posted above....Michigan, tOSU. and Penn St.  are one the same side.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

Well Scott, that is not the truth.  What I am trying to do is make it more balanced geographically.  And it can be done.   Some of you want to make the B1G like the the European Soccer leagues.  Well, it ain't gonna happen in the States with our sports.  I have witnessed damn fine teams from IU that didn't make the cut in the end.  As I posted above....Michigan, tOSU. and Penn St.  are one the same side.  

I don't know what you're talking about with European soccer leagues.  What do they do?

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know what you're talking about with European soccer leagues.  What do they do?

Basically, their schedule and "division" they play in is determined by the previous year's performance.  So it rotates every year.  But my point about the B1G when it comes to football is that it is pretty easy to look at the "here and now" and formulate two divisions based on what teams are dominating.  And what teams are "doormats".  It ain't that easy in American football when considering the equipment involved and scheduling.  In European "football" all you need is a a uniform and a pair of cleats.  Pretty easy to travel.  But I admit I comparing professional league/leagues to our college system.  They have more funds to deal with the travel expenses period and soccer is a cheaper sport.  

I want balance in our conference when it comes to football.  The weight in the East far out weighs the West.  But it is an easy remedy.  But not like some of the people here want to do it.  You got to to do it with geographics or we will be like the SEC, where Mizzou plays in the East side.  Or we become like the "old" National League in MLB where Cincinnati and Atlata were in the West.  But St. Louis and Chicago were in the East.

My rant is over......carry on.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here is my try to realign and make it the most balance it can be.  I just paired teams off that has been historically about the same kind of programs and split them up.

OSU                                                                            MICHIGAN

UW                                                                              PSU

MSU                                                                            NEBRASKA                                                         

IOWA                                                                          NORTHWESTERN

MINNESOTA                                                             MARYLAND

UI                                                                                 RUTGERS 

PU                                                                                IU

I could live with this. Maybe they look at it every five years or so. But something has to give. Wilson did a decent job recruiting but this season alone has shown how difficult it is to compete four quarters against teams who can recruit three deep. There can’t be anyone left who does not understand the deck is stacked. I don’t care who coaches, i don’t care who the starters are, the odds are eventually going to impact them. My point is, and will be, that if we can move in a direction that affords a better chance of a higher win percentage then we can get deeper in players and at that point it is the direct responsibility of the AD and the head coach to run the program properly and recruit properly.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Basically, their schedule and "division" they play in is determined by the previous year's performance.  So it rotates every year.  But my point about the B1G when it comes to football is that it is pretty easy to look at the "here and now" and formulate two divisions based on what teams are dominating.  And what teams are "doormats".  It ain't that easy in American football when considering the equipment involved and scheduling.  In European "football" all you need is a a uniform and a pair of cleats.  Pretty easy to travel.  But I admit I comparing professional league/leagues to our college system.  They have more funds to deal with the travel expenses period and soccer is a cheaper sport.  

I want balance in our conference when it comes to football.  The weight in the East far out weighs the West.  But it is an easy remedy.  But not like some of the people here want to do it.  You got to to do it with geographics or we will be like the SEC, where Mizzou plays in the East side.  Or we become like the "old" National League in MLB where Cincinnati and Atlata were in the West.  But St. Louis and Chicago were in the East.

My rant is over......carry on.

You want balance...but you haven't come up with a balanced solution.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, I did.  You just didn't like it.

How have you balanced the divisions when you took the two worst teams from the west and moved two of the best from the east.  With your suggestion the east would have two really good teams and 5 pretty bad teams. With how easy it is to travel today you don't have to have everything based on location.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

How have you balanced the divisions when you took the two worst teams from the west and moved two of the best from the east.  With your suggestion the east would have two really good teams and 5 pretty bad teams. With how easy it is to travel today you don't have to have everything based on location.

What was Sparty's record last year?

Just now, IU Scott said:

You just don't go by one year but what they have done for the past 20 years to see what a program is really like.  What is their record this year

So you are in the "here and now" mode as well?  You better look at the last 20 years.  Hell, go back 30.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

So you are in the "here and now" mode as well?  You better look at the last 20 years.  Hell, go back 30.

You need to look at each program and match them up and split them to even out the divisions.  what you suggested did not balance the division, it just made an easier one for IU.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You need to look at each program and match them up and split them to even out the divisions.  what you suggested did not balance the division, it just made an easier one for IU.

BS.  You better look at Illinois' and Purdue's records.  I am sick and tired of the "here and now".

20 minutes ago, rico said:

BS.  You better look at Illinois' and Purdue's records.  I am sick and tired of the "here and now".

If you look at IU, UI, PU and Rutgers they are historically bad teams with a few descent seasons mixed in.  I think there is enough history to suggest that these programs will not be at the top of the conference.  I am not looking at the here and now but the history of the sport and how I divided the conference with like teams so that.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you look at IU, UI, PU and Rutgers they are historically bad teams with a few descent seasons mixed in.  I think there is enough history to suggest that these programs will not be at the top of the conference.  I am not looking at the here and now but the history of the sport and how I divided the conference with like teams so that.

We went to the Rose Bowl one time in the 60s, okay?!

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Says who?  You?  You better check on a few facts my friend.  IU I agree with.  There are 2 two teams in the history of the sport in the B1G that have winning percentages under .500.  One is IU and the other is Northwestern.  So what about history?  

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I think the geographical orientation is fundamentally uneven.  They used to do that Legends and Leaders concept before they added the newest two schools (MD and RUT), if I recall correctly.  I'd rather they go back to more balanced divisions.  I sketched out a try (i list them alphabetically):

Leaders Division

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa 

Minnesota

Nebraska

Ohio State

Penn State

Legends Division

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Northwestern

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

You could protect cross-rivalries like IU-PU, UM-OSU etc.  We already protect IU v PU.

Leaders and Legends failed because there were an odd number of "Blue Blood" programs to provide a sense of long term stability for a historic based format. Now after adding Nebraska that is not the case. I would say separate the 4 I consider true name brand programs evenly, then divide the remaining teams by recent success. Swap Nebraska and Rutgers and I think your divisions would work great long term.Give Nebraska a protected cross-play with Iowa, and Rutgers would get Maryland. Plus Penn State would get to be close to home in-division on more than one away game weekend.

Imagine the mess Indiana would cause with alignment criteria for B1G Basketball. Lol I tried that for a minute or two.

This year might get them talking more about realignment.  There is a real chance Wisconsin will go undefeated and not make the playoff while the East has beat up on itself.  I don't see any 2 loss team making it this year.

If you want a conference to change something, hit them in the pocketbook.  That will get it changed.  Having an undefeated team, but not having a team in the playoff would definitely hit them where it hurts.

53 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

This year might get them talking more about realignment.  There is a real chance Wisconsin will go undefeated and not make the playoff while the East has beat up on itself.  I don't see any 2 loss team making it this year.

If you want a conference to change something, hit them in the pocketbook.  That will get it changed.  Having an undefeated team, but not having a team in the playoff would definitely hit them where it hurts.

If you are in a Power 5 conference and go undefeated you are going to CFP unless all 5 have undefeated teams.  That ain't happening this year.

Archived