The Failing PAC 12 Network

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/13/think-the-pac-12-networks-are-struggling-with-audience-and-revenue-the-reality-might-be-worse-than-you-imagined/

At @rico‘s request, here’s the article I posted in another thread about how little money the PAC 12 Network is making.  An excerpt:

“The Big Ten and SEC networks have three or four times the audience of the Pac-12 Networks and are believed to generate three or four times the revenue for the schools, as well.”

Combined with their lack of success in the two money sports (one CFP appearance, and one Final Four appearance in the last decade), things aren’t going well out west.  Opine.

For whatever reason I still cannot pull up the article, but anyways.  Late last year when everybody was talking about how bad the Pac-12 was in the basketball non-con season, I did hear on a sports talk show where the guy was saying their being bad in both major sports didn't exactly equate to their television revenue.  Pretty much said that nobody on the left coast cares about sports.  He also went on to say that the product they were putting on the field and on the court has had a negative effect on recruiting especially in football.  Now I don't know about any of this stuff other than what I see in the polls week by week.  The Pac-12 just ain't very good...maybe that has something to do with TV revenue?  And then of coarse there is that time zone thing.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per Chris Spatola, who does hoops play by play for ESPN amongst others, the PAC 12 network pays $6.9 million a year to lease a building in downtown San Francisco. In comparison, the SEC channel pays $318,000 a year for a 25 year old building in Birmingham.

Just seems a bit off I would say.

Wonder how much the B10 building is in rosemont?  It’s a very nice building in the heart of a really cool shopping area right by the airport.  Plus it’s connected to a Fogo de Chao, yummy 

24 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Wonder how much the B10 building is in rosemont?  It’s a very nice building in the heart of a really cool shopping area right by the airport.  Plus it’s connected to a Fogo de Chao, yummy 

The Big Ten Network owned the first building they were in. And considered expanding it, before getting a sweetheart deal from Rosement, for a brand new building.  Hard to determine for sure.... but from this article, it sounds like they own the current building, just as they did their first home.

Big Ten plans new Rosemont HQ

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The Big Ten Network owned the first building they were in. And considered expanding it, before getting a sweetheart deal from Rosement, for a brand new building.  Hard to determine for sure.... but from this article, it sounds like they own the current building, just as they did their first home.

Big Ten plans new Rosemont HQ

Thanks Mile!  Having been there multiple times I can say it’s a cool building in a cool area for sure.

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I know a few former college friends that were big sports junkies who live out in Oregon and Washington now and they would attest to the fact that NO ONE seems to follow sports much at all. Their idea of sports is mountain biking and rock climbing.

Not surprising at all.  Heck, look at the instability of the NFL in the state of California.

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I know a few former college friends that were big sports junkies who live out in Oregon and Washington now and they would attest to the fact that NO ONE seems to follow sports much at all. Their idea of sports is mountain biking and rock climbing.

Would somewhat disagree with this. UW Huskies football games, played in one of the most beautiful settings for college sports, sell out.

The Seahawks crowds are notoriously famous for the loudness and ability to affect an opposing team's play calling.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Not surprising at all.  Heck, look at the instability of the NFL in the state of California.

Yes.  The Colts season opener in '17 was at the Rams - their (LA) first home game since the team relocated there from STL.  There were lots of empty seats for that game.  A city that large with a brand new NFL team and they couldn't sell out?

Alright, let me see if I can type this out right as best I understand it.  The B1G network is a joint venture between Fox and the conference.  The SEC network is solely owned by ESPN.  The new ACC network is owned by ESPN.  The Big 12 network(streaming only?) is owned by ESPN.  The Pac-12 network is owned and ran by the Pac-12.  

So, if all of that is indeed true that very well might explain why the Pac-12 network is failing?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Alright, let me see if I can type this out right as best I understand it.  The B1G network is a joint venture between Fox and the conference.  The SEC network is solely owned by ESPN.  The new ACC network is owned by ESPN.  The Big 12 network(streaming only?) is owned by ESPN.  The Pac-12 network is owned and ran by the Pac-12.  

So, if all of that is indeed true that very well might explain why the Pac-12 network is failing?

I am pretty sure the Pac-12 network is affiliated with Fox as well.  All you have to do is look at the main networks college football schedule.  It is Big 10 and Pac 12.

P12 network was destined to be a regional type network. Their prime population base (California) is notoriously apathetic about sports and the rest of their states aren't as densely populated as the east coast. But, they can't attract an east coast audience either, because prime time for them is bedtime for the eastern time zone. So you're dealing with an inconsistent, relatively regional audience. That doesn't translate to high $ advertising rates.

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

P12 network was destined to be a regional type network. Their prime population base (California) is notoriously apathetic about sports and the rest of their states aren't as densely populated as the east coast. But, they can't attract an east coast audience either, because prime time for them is bedtime for the eastern time zone. So you're dealing with an inconsistent, relatively regional audience. That doesn't translate to high $ advertising rates.

Add to it, their product isn't very good right now.

Archived