Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dbmhoosier said:

I remember talking to Rick's wife shortly after the hire.  It was never his choice or his call.  His mistake was not walking and immediately telling all of Indiana what was really going on.

Very true. Rick publicly owned the hiring of Sampson.  But it was  Herbert's hire. 

Interesting that back then we had a president highly involved in the hire of an IU BB coach.  And today, the IU president is ridiculed by some,  for not being involved in athletics enough.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Very true. Rick publicly owned the hiring of Sampson.  But it was  Herbert's hire. 

Interesting that back then we had a president highly involved in the hire of an IU BB coach.  And today, the IU president is ridiculed by some,  for not being involved in athletics enough.

I don't want the president of the University to have anything to do with the athletic department.  It is just like an owner of the pro sports organization being part of the on the field decision making which is not good.

40 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yes.  

I have noticed by all of your posts that you are exceedingly more intelligent than one of the greatest basketball minds of all time, RMK, who fully endorsed CAM. And the ex players who followed suit. And the high school coaches who had nothing good to say about the previous coach, but have welcomed CAM as a potential coach for their kids. And the national media that only spend their entire working hours following college hoops.

So glad that after less than 2 seasons, you have figured out what all these others have not. 

DWS

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That's my bad, and totally on me, as I overlooked your link.  Appreciate you're bringing it to my attention.  And after doing some research into what went on, it does not look like IU was on top of it's game here.  However, upon further review , it appears that IU has moved to make major revisions in their policy regarding injuries to athletes.

IU Changes Policy After Athletes' Malpractice Claims - Athletic Business

So the question remains.  Did Mr. Glass have a hand in the changes ?  Only reason I ask, is because it seems some are laying blame for the injury problems in the FB program and rowing program, at the foot of Mr. Glass.  And if that is the case, why should Mr. Glass not get credit for the change in policy ?

Also, while doing my research on this topic....I found that IU spent $1.4 million in 2014-2015 for injuries to athletes.  Now... though that seems like a lot of money, I have no idea if that is comparable to other schools in the BIG or not.

I think your point is fair that he helped change it, but would he have changed it if these issues didn’t get exposed the way the did.  Not sure it excuses his lack of oversight.  As I said above I think he has also made some good hires and it’s too early on allen and Miller.  But with the body of work he has laid out of Allen and Miller both fail I think it’s fair to expect a wholesale change in the athletics dept.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If you're promoting Glass be fired, you're concluding that Archie was a bad hire.  Are we really ready to say that?

That's not true. I am ready to say I don't feel confident in Fred Glass making the decision to keep or fire either our football or basketball coach over the next couple seasons and I REALLY don't trust him with a potential hire. 

Fred Glass has no background in sports; he's great at fundraising and getting facilities done, but he isn't a sports guy. He's been at IU a decade, what has he done that makes you feel he grasps what it takes to win at a high level in football or basketball?

For all those defending the leader of IU Athletics, are you really happy with what we've seen in his decade of leadership? Our two most important programs aren't good, we've had off field issues, personal issues from coaches; this is really what you people want in a leader?

Fred has reached levels of success many would dream about. My concern is this. He's said many times he's a big IU fan that happens to be AD. Maybe that isn't the best combination? From the $ side of things IU has never been in better shape. Largely to BTN $ but Fred has done a great job in fundraising. On the field though....under Fred's watch we've had nothing but ups and downs with mostly downs. I'll say what I said earlier. I don't want him hiring another coach. 

One thing about Fred/Archie I keep coming back on. Let's assume that Fred strongly suggested Archie keep 3-4 guys that Archie didn't want. (Strike 1) I remember Crean on his way out as well as Harbaugh citing some restrictions on programs there/administration concerns,etc....lets assume they meant FG. ( Strike 2) Finally and this is the one I'm still having the most trouble with is  just as our team was developing confidence Phinisee goes down for what looked like a bump during game. Less than 10 minutes after that game Archie (without benefit of diagnosis) says we'll be without RP for awhile. There's no way he new extent of injury to make that comment unless he knew at that point the decision on concussion like symptoms had already been made.....i.e. Fred Glass and IU said minimally a set period of time a player won't play. I remember Romeo was quoted as saying we'll be without RP for his " little thing"....

Just a theory. 

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fred has reached levels of success many would dream about. My concern is this. He's said many times he's a big IU fan that happens to be AD. Maybe that isn't the best combination? From the $ side of things IU has never been in better shape. Largely to BTN $ but Fred has done a great job in fundraising. On the field though....under Fred's watch we've had nothing but ups and downs with mostly downs. I'll say what I said earlier. I don't want him hiring another coach. 

One thing about Fred/Archie I keep coming back on. Let's assume that Fred strongly suggested Archie keep 3-4 guys that Archie didn't want. (Strike 1) I remember Crean on his way out as well as Harbaugh citing some restrictions on programs there/administration concerns,etc....lets assume they meant FG. ( Strike 2) Finally and this is the one I'm still having the most trouble with is  just as our team was developing confidence Phinisee goes down for what looked like a bump during game. Less than 10 minutes after that game Archie (without benefit of diagnosis) says we'll be without RP for awhile. There's no way he new extent of injury to make that comment unless he knew at that point the decision on concussion like symptoms had already been made.....i.e. Fred Glass and IU said minimally a set period of time a player won't play. I remember Romeo was quoted as saying we'll be without RP for his " little thing"....

Just a theory. 

The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep into the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship — and more after that. We will identify and recruit a coach who will help us meet these expectations.”

-Fred Glass
March 17, 2017

That is the expectation that Fred set for this program.  I intend to hold him to it.  If that expectation is not met, it becomes the fault of the guy who hired the people to execute that expectation.  If Miller fails, Fred should not be allowed to pick another team to execute his vision.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a theory. 

Rather than a diagnosis by a layman, could be that Crean got a quick early prognosis from a team doctor, which caused him to say what he said.

IUConcussionPolicy.pdf

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Rather than a diagnosis by a layman, could be that Crean got a quick early prognosis from a team doctor, which caused him to say what he said.

IUConcussionPolicy.pdf

10 minutes after a game. No way to have an accurate diagnosis besides just standard tests. For Archie to say he was going to be out for "awhile" tells me it didn't matter. Just my 2 cents. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

10 minutes after a game. No way to have an accurate diagnosis besides just standard tests. For Archie to say he was going to be out for "awhile" tells me it didn't matter. Just my 2 cents. 

Love ya man. But think you are reaching here. Rob was injured early in the first half of the win over Central Arkansas.  And never returned to the court.  Plenty of time for the fine IU doctors to complete an early examination and come up with a prognosis, to report to Archie, before his PC. 

Indiana G Rob Phinisee in concussion protocol after win vs. Central Arkansas

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Love ya man. But think you are reaching here. Rob was injured early in the first half of the win over Central Arkansas.  And never returned to the court.  Plenty of time for the fine IU doctors to complete an early examination and come up with a prognosis, to report to Archie, before his PC. 

Indiana G Rob Phinisee in concussion protocol after win vs. Central Arkansas

No big deal. A Dr cannot and would never be able to correctly diagnose a concussion until hours or days after the injury as some symptoms won't even show up.  My point is this. The term "awhile" implies lengthy. Not daily. To me that says something about our policy. That's all. 

With Archie's postgame deal breaker comments, and Fred's stupid face behind the bench last game.  I'm starting to wonder if Fred is forcing Archie to play crean's recruits, and not allowing him to be hard on them.  If so, he's got to go now.  I know that's a lot of assuming, but IU athletics are in shambles, and there has to be an explanation.

7 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

With Archie's postgame deal breaker comments, and Fred's stupid face behind the bench last game.  I'm starting to wonder if Fred is forcing Archie to play crean's recruits, and not allowing him to be hard on them.  If so, he's got to go now.  I know that's a lot of assuming, but IU athletics are in shambles, and there has to be an explanation.

That’s been mentioned before and if true I’d agree with you. I’m just trying to figure out what the motivation would be for that from Glass’s perspective. Crean is gone and he owes Crean nothing. If he just wanted to be a nice guy that wouldn’t seem to outweigh the pressure both him and Archie are under. I agree with most who say his fate is tied to archie...so if we are to believe this then there has to be a motivation to tie Archie’s hands that outweighs the pressure him and Archie are under that keeps growing. I can’t see that being MERELY that he simply just wants to be nice to a handful of college young men.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

That’s been mentioned before and if true I’d agree with you. I’m just trying to figure out what the motivation would be for that from Glass’s perspective. Crean is gone and he owes Crean nothing. If he just wanted to be a nice guy that wouldn’t seem to outweigh the pressure both him and Archie are under. I agree with most who say his fate is tied to archie...so if we are to believe this then there has to be a motivation to tie Archie’s hands that outweighs the pressure him and Archie are under that keeps growing. I can’t see that being MERELY that he simply just wants to be nice to a handful of college young men.

I would assume his motivation could be from the president, or from his own stubbornness in believing you can win without being hard on kids, or dumping Crean's guys, no matter how much they are affecting the team in a negative way.  It's a Jerry Jones situation, where he thinks he's smarter than the coaches.  We see it in sports all the time.

We obviously hear all the time that hiring an "IU guy" is the way to go for filling coaching vacancies (from certain sources). Wouldn't it be even more influential and beneficial to the university as a whole if we hired an "IU guy" as the AD.  

If Fred Glass does get fired, it is likely due to his complete disconnect to athletics, more specifically, Indiana athletics.  He is a businessman/lawyer and has been very successful on that front as recent numbers/articles have shown.  However, he has zero athletic awareness and it shows.  We have ended up in good shape financially in the athletic dept., but we have also ended up with dog$h!t like this student athlete bill of rights which enables mediocrity and degrades accountability. 

For some reason, I can't get Quinn Buckner as a potential AD replacement for Glass out of my head.  He obviously has administrative experience (currently on the BOT), he has a name that carries weight in this state which would assist in fundraising, negotiation, etc., he is charismatic (an announcer/commentator), and he has a deep understanding, passion, and grasp on the pulse of Indiana University athletics.  I believe he may have even played some football at IU aside from basketball. He cares about more than the money. 

I'm just thinking out loud. 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

On the Rivals board they made it sound like it's holding back the program and Fisch said it was only enacted to appease Fred's lawyer buddies in Indy.

Thanks.  when Fish talks I listen. He loves this program and you can take what he says to the bank. Not a good look for our University if true. 

Archived