Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Basically Dan said if guys dont play for the Jersey(not exact words) yank their scholarship.  Don goes, well we got this thing called the Bill Of Rights and went on to rip on it for a second.  Cant remember exact dialogue.

Thanks. Does anyone know is any other Big schools have it as well?

50 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

We obviously hear all the time that hiring an "IU guy" is the way to go for filling coaching vacancies (from certain sources). Wouldn't it be even more influential and beneficial to the university as a whole if we hired an "IU guy" as the AD.  

If Fred Glass does get fired, it is likely due to his complete disconnect to athletics, more specifically, Indiana athletics.  He is a businessman/lawyer and has been very successful on that front as recent numbers/articles have shown.  However, he has zero athletic awareness and it shows.  We have ended up in good shape financially in the athletic dept., but we have also ended up with dog$h!t like this student athlete bill of rights which enables mediocrity and degrades accountability. 

For some reason, I can't get Quinn Buckner as a potential AD replacement for Glass out of my head.  He obviously has administrative experience (currently on the BOT), he has a name that carries weight in this state which would assist in fundraising, negotiation, etc., he is charismatic (an announcer/commentator), and he has a deep understanding, passion, and grasp on the pulse of Indiana University athletics.  I believe he may have even played some football at IU aside from basketball. He cares about more than the money. 

I'm just thinking out loud. 

You do realize that Glass is an IU guy but what qualifications does Buckner have to run an athletic department.  it is more than just hiring and firing coaches and scheduling.

If I were Archie Miller I would tell Fred, the University President and the BOT that I am the coach, I decide who is on this team and if they don't play up to the standards that I set they are gone. If they don't want to let the man coach his team, discipline his players and remove cancers from the team I would resign. The tail can't wag the dog and that is exactly what is happening. 

59 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

We obviously hear all the time that hiring an "IU guy" is the way to go for filling coaching vacancies (from certain sources). Wouldn't it be even more influential and beneficial to the university as a whole if we hired an "IU guy" as the AD.  

If Fred Glass does get fired, it is likely due to his complete disconnect to athletics, more specifically, Indiana athletics.  He is a businessman/lawyer and has been very successful on that front as recent numbers/articles have shown.  However, he has zero athletic awareness and it shows.  We have ended up in good shape financially in the athletic dept., but we have also ended up with dog$h!t like this student athlete bill of rights which enables mediocrity and degrades accountability. 

For some reason, I can't get Quinn Buckner as a potential AD replacement for Glass out of my head.  He obviously has administrative experience (currently on the BOT), he has a name that carries weight in this state which would assist in fundraising, negotiation, etc., he is charismatic (an announcer/commentator), and he has a deep understanding, passion, and grasp on the pulse of Indiana University athletics.  I believe he may have even played some football at IU aside from basketball. He cares about more than the money. 

I'm just thinking out loud. 

Problem is every IU guy out there would be tied to Knight. Chris Reynolds would make a phenomenal AD but I doubt if he ever gets a sniff. 

24 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Basically Dan said if guys dont play for the Jersey(not exact words) yank their scholarship.  Don goes, well we got this thing called the Bill Of Rights and went on to rip on it for a second.  Cant remember exact dialogue.

The IU Student Bill of Rights..... does not prevent any coach in any sport from yanking a scholarship.  Or for that matter sitting down with a player at the end of a season, and telling that player that there will be no playing time for him the next year.   Ask Curtis Jones, or Grant Gelon if that is not the case.

Did not listen to the interview. 'Cause I don't care to listen to Dak.  So not sure what was said. And of course we all love Don.  However, based on the face of it... sounds like Don needs to read and understand the IU Student Bill of RIghts.   It does not take away a coaches' ability to kick a player off a team based on performance. In fact, it specifically states that a being kicked off a team based on performance, makes the player eligible for a free ride, just not as a player. 

28 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

On the Rivals board they made it sound like it's holding back the program and Fisch said it was only enacted to appease Fred's lawyer buddies in Indy.

Very, very true. Fred did it with Wilson. When you have an IU icon mocking your program Fred on the state's largest radio station....maybe you should change things. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The IU Student Bill of Rights..... does not prevent any coach in any sport from yanking a scholarship.  Or for that matter sitting down with a player at the end of a season, and telling that player that there will be no playing time for him the next year.   Ask Curtis Jones, or Grant Gelon if that is not the case.

Did not listen to the interview. 'Cause I don't care to listen to Dak.  So not sure what was said. And of course we all love Don.  However, based on the face of it... sounds like Don needs to read and understand the IU Student Bill of RIghts.   It does not take away a coaches' ability to kick a player off a team based on performance. In fact, it specifically states that a being kicked off a team based on performance, makes the player eligible for a free ride, just not as a player. 

Yes, but there are always unspoken rules.  Im sure Fred Glass does not want to use his scholarship money on a non athlete because that kid doesnt play hard.  There is always what is on paper and then what is said behind closed doors.  Don is well connected and he plays his cards right.  He doesnt push the envelope professionaly.

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m as ready for FG to go as anyone, but do we have anything beyond speculation that he is restricting Archie in any way from playing who he wants or dealing with things how he wants?  Because a lot of that seems like a fantastic load of bull trying to deflect any criticism from Archie. 

I think people are using things that have been said or done to try and figure out this bizarre situation IU is in. Because this situation is clearly different, and a coach just not being good at his job wouldn't explain Coachss's post on twitter.  That doesn't deflect all criticism from Archie, but it tries to explain the struggles this blue blood team has had for 25 years. 

If you want to put all of it on Archie, that is your prerogative, but clearly there is something weird going on at IU right now.

7 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I think people are using things that have been said or done to try and figure out this bizarre situation IU is in. Because this situation is clearly different, and a coach just not being good at his job wouldn't explain Coachss's post on twitter.  That doesn't deflect all criticism from Archie, but it tries to explain the struggles this blue blood team has had for 25 years. 

If you want to put all of it on Archie, that is your prerogative, but clearly there is something weird going on at IU right now.

No way near the correct analogy here but like Parcells said..."If they want you to cook the dinner they ought to at least let you shop for the groceries" ....all I know is we've had plenty of smoke in both football and basketball over the last 10 years. One common denominator. Fred Glass.

I like Fred... but the public (especially IU fans) wants to believe in their coach more than athletic director. 

7 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Yes, but there are always unspoken rules.  Im sure Fred Glass does not want to use his scholarship money on a non athlete because that kid doesnt play hard.  There is always what is on paper and then what is said behind closed doors.  Don is well connected and he plays his cards right.  He doesnt push the envelope professionaly.

First of all, it's not Mr. Glass's scholarship money.  As IU, like so many other universities, allocates and budgets money specifically for athletic scholarships in almost all of the sports they offer to student/athletes. 

Let's also keep in mind... the IU Student Bill of RIghts is not designed just for student/athletes who have had their scholarships pulled due to performance.  It also extends to student/athletes who had to leave early due to family matters and such.  Also applies to student/athletes who left in good standing to go professional, before getting their degree from IU.

I can't agree with you more about Don.  He has to watch his P's and Q's when it comes to speaking out about IU..... as I believe his job depends primary at the discretion of IU. Don is a homer, primarily because of that.  I like "homer's"

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

First of all, it's not Mr. Glass's scholarship money.  As IU, like so many other universities, allocates and budgets money specifically for athletic scholarships in almost all of the sports they offer to student/athletes. 

Let's also keep in mind... the IU Student Bill of RIghts is not designed just for student/athletes who have had their scholarships pulled due to performance.  It also extends to student/athletes who had to leave early due to family matters and such.  Also applies to student/athletes who left in good standing to go professional, before getting their degree from IU.

I can't agree with you more about Don.  He has to watch his P's and Q's when it comes to speaking out about IU..... as I believe his job depends primary at the discretion of IU. Don is a homer, primarily because of that.  I like "homer's"

Let me go on record saying I am for something protecting kids when in the athletic world its the money and success that come first.  Congrats to IU for making a stand.  However, both sides need to live up to the deal.  Not even saying this isn't happening.  

I just thought instead of throwing out my own thinking....I would add to this fun discussion with what Don said.  

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

There are a few to both extremes, those that are already calling for his head and those who blame FG, Tom Crean, our fans and anyone they can think of while absolving Archie of any guilt. Both extremes frustrate me. 

I agree to some extent, but I don't think the people supporting archie, absolve him, I just think they are trying to fight the excessiveness of the other side, which seems to be the majority, or at least the loudest.  If anybody doesn't believe archie is in part responsible for this fiasco, then they probably have something wrong with them mentally.

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Totally agree!! The funny thing is during games being played poorly and especially after a loss, you can tell Don is fired up and bitting tongue! You can tell he is disgusted and embarrassed and times, seems like he is going to finally blow & unload. Eric Suhr does a  good job of keeping his emotions in check, which helps Don.  Man....I would love to be fly on their mics when they're off air!

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Totally agree!! The funny thing is during games being played poorly and especially after a loss, you can tell Don is fired up and bitting tongue! You can tell he is disgusted and embarrassed and times, seems like he is going to finally blow & unload. Eric Suhr does a  good job of keeping his emotions in check, which helps Don.  Man....I would love to be fly on their mics when they're off air!

Quite apparent that Don loves IU as much as all of us.  Sure... the current situation with our beloved IU BB team is frustrating to us all.  And I am sure Don is as much, if not more frustrated with the current situation, as we are.

Aside from that, I would like to get back to the IU Student Bill of RIghts, in terms of Mr. Glass.  A while back I was asked why I felt good about continuing to back Mr. Glass. And I responded with facilities and successes in other programs other than the two crown jewels.  Yet, I failed.  Failed to mention that he was the one who spearheaded the IU Student Bill of RIghts.  The very first university in the country to do so.  It was daring, IMHO. And magnanimous on his part to do so.  Thinking about ways to provide continuing education for student/athletes who had to leave school early due to circumstances beyond their control. Or for players who left early to pursue a professional sporting career.  I give you the University of Kentucky basketball program.... with their history of one and done players.  They were not to the first to offer continuing education for those players. It was Mr. Glass and IU who was the first. In fact, I don't even know if UK has anything similar to what Mr. Glass instituted at IU. 

Yeah, I am with you all, in the current performance of our BB team. However, I reiterate, Mr. Glass has done a ton of good to great things for IU during his tenure at IU.

Let's not focus on the negative as much as appreciate the positive, and come together to figure a way to get this train back on the track.

One last thing for this post. It's for all those, including Dan Dakich calling for an IU guy to coach IUBB..... let's not forget that the greatest IUBB coach of all time... was NOT an IU guy when he came to IU.

And perhaps the worst IUBB coach. At least the worst in my lifetime. May God rest his soul.  WAS an IU guy when he became IU's head BB coach.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Quite apparent that Don loves IU as much as all of us.  Sure... the current situation with our beloved IU BB team is frustrating to us all.  And I am sure Don is as much, if not more frustrated with the current situation, as we are.

Aside from that, I would like to get back to the IU Student Bill of RIghts, in terms of Mr. Glass.  A while back I was asked why I felt good about continuing to back Mr. Glass. And I responded with facilities and successes in other programs other the the two crown jewels.  Yet, I failed.  Failed to mention that he was the one who spearheaded the IU Student Bill of RIghts.  The very first university in the country to do so.  It was daring, IMHO. And magnanimous on his part to do so.  Thinking about ways to provide continuing education for student/athletes who had to leave school early due to circumstances beyond their control. Or for players who left early to pursue a professional sporting career.  I give you the University of Kentucky basketball program.... with their history of one and done players.  They were not to the first to offer continuing education for those players. It was Mr. Glass and IU who was the first. In fact, I don't even know if UK has anything similar to what Mr. Glass instituted at IU. 

Yeah, I am with you all, in the current performance of our BB team. However, I reiterate, Mr. Glass has done a ton of good to great things for IU during his tenure at IU.

Let's not focus on the negative as much as appreciate the positive, and come together to figure a way to get this train back on the track.

One last thing for this post. It's for all those, including Dan Dakich calling for an IU guy to coach IUBB..... let's not forget that the greatest IUBB coach of all time... was NOT an IU guy when he came to IU.

And perhaps the worst IUBB coach. At least the worst in my lifetime. May God rest his soul.  WAS an IU guy when he became IU's head BB coach.

Thanks Mile!

I sure love reading your insight on various topics. They are always well thought out and precise. I really do try to think and reflect before I post things. I feel that I am in the minority when it comes to supporting Fred Glass,Tom Allen and Archie. I feel today certain fans want knee jerk want a quick trigger decision without a proper and adequate evaluation.

How about it’s a combination of everyone’s fault.  Crean for leaving the cubboard bare, glass for holding on to Crean too long, Archie because he’s still a young coach and hasn’t lived up to his own expectations, and the fans for just being to over the top. This is still a basketball school and probably always will be.  It can be fixed and hopefully Archie is the guy to do it.

I'm not absolving Archie of some of the things we are watching this year. There's some blame. But the more I keep thinking about the decision 2 springs ago to keep 4-5 guys around that Archie wouldn't recruit or play because of our APR situation (last 2 years of Crean) is coming more and more into focus. Those decisions (fear of missing tourney because of rolling 4 APR score) set into motion (not entirely) mostly why we are where were at today. Players saying I didn't come here for this. Coaches didn't recruit certain players. Bickering between players. Bickering between coach and administration (probably). All of it was a perfect storm and we are watching it unfold live. 

The good news is that we should be able to start over this spring. The bad news? Because of those decisions 2 years ago the shiny part of Archie will make it more difficult to recruit top/top players. Thank God for TJD and Franklin. Fingers crossed on Keion. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am pretty sure if the kid stays at the school as only a student that scholarship still counts as one of the 13 scholarships for the basketball team.  Saying that there is no way a kid would not transfer and go play someone where else but if he did stay they would count toward our scholarship numbers.

Archived