Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am pretty sure if the kid stays at the school as only a student that scholarship still counts as one of the 13 scholarships for the basketball team.  Saying that there is no way a kid would not transfer and go play someone where else but if he did stay they would count toward our scholarship numbers.

We've already discussed this. It does not count as an athletic scholarship.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Did not hear it. But they were wrong. 

When you're cut. You're cut.   Doesn't matter what university you are at.  When you are done, you are done.  Again, I refer you back to Grant Gelon.

What I am saying is if they decide to stay at IU and be only a student they are still on scholarship and that counts toward our 13 scholarships.  If they leave then no they don't count toward your scholarships numbers like Gelon but if Gelon had decided to be a student only then he would count toward the scholarship number.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is if they decide to stay at IU and be only a student they are still on scholarship and that counts toward our 13 scholarships.  If they leave then no they don't count toward your scholarships numbers like Gelon but if Gelon had decided to be a student only then he would count toward the scholarship number.

Not true.  Even if they stay, IU pays for their education, but they don't count against the scholarship numbers. Had Gelon decided to stay at IU as a student , he would not have counted against the numbers.  It was his choice to leave.  Which seems to me was a huge mistake on his part, considering his travails since leaving IU.

I think everyone is missing the main point on the Student Bill or rights.  Mile is correct that at least the way it was presented was that any IU athlete was guaranteed an IU education on the university dime.  That doesn’t mean it would be an athletic scholarship.  However the bigger issue is why did IU need this in the first place?

Edit I forgot this was before the player health issues.  This actually makes it worse no?  You create a player bill or rights and then get accused in two sports of medically abusing players?  Maybe this is why he is so sensitive to not hurting the basketball players feelings?

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

First of all, it's not Mr. Glass's scholarship money.  As IU, like so many other universities, allocates and budgets money specifically for athletic scholarships in almost all of the sports they offer to student/athletes. 

Let's also keep in mind... the IU Student Bill of RIghts is not designed just for student/athletes who have had their scholarships pulled due to performance.  It also extends to student/athletes who had to leave early due to family matters and such.  Also applies to student/athletes who left in good standing to go professional, before getting their degree from IU.

I can't agree with you more about Don.  He has to watch his P's and Q's when it comes to speaking out about IU..... as I believe his job depends primary at the discretion of IU. Don is a homer, primarily because of that.  I like "homer's"

I think the way we can best tell that Don really loves IU, is he is not afraid to call out IU; even if it's gentle. If you never want to find fault in IU, then you probably don't actually love IU. I love Don. 

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

The title of this thread has been changed. Frankly we hate threads like this on HSN and a thread titled in this manner will be deleted in the future. Sorry for allowing this thread to get to 5 pages before we mods caught it, we have been busy.

As the one who started the thread, and one who has been around through all iterations of HSN, I'm curious why the title was a problem? We've had other such threads. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Did not hear it. But they were wrong. 

When you're cut. You're cut.   Doesn't matter what university you are at.  When you are done, you are done.  Again, I refer you back to Grant Gelon.

Grant transferred. There's a strong case to be made either way for how it would count, but until someone is cut and stays we won't actually know the answer. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not true.  Even if they stay, IU pays for their education, but they don't count against the scholarship numbers. Had Gelon decided to stay at IU as a student , he would not have counted against the numbers.  It was his choice to leave.  Which seems to me was a huge mistake on his part, considering his travails since leaving IU.

I'm not sure this is correct, but again, we won't know until it is tested. We do know, once a kid gets an athletic scholarship offer he cannot play and not count as a scholarship player. The question is, what if he doesn't play? Do you have an NCAA rule to cite that says it wouldn't count? 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure this is correct, but again, we won't know until it is tested. We do know, once a kid gets an athletic scholarship offer he cannot play and not count as a scholarship player. The question is, what if he doesn't play? Do you have an NCAA rule to cite that says it wouldn't count? 

According to the NCAA scholarships are awarded each year. Literally cutting a guy frees up the scholarship because you have chosen to not give it to them again. 

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not what I heard and I think it was either Osterman or RabJohn that I heard explain it.

12 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think everyone is missing the main point on the Student Bill or rights.  Mile is correct that at least the way it was presented was that any IU athlete was guaranteed an IU education on the university dime.  That doesn’t mean it would be an athletic scholarship.  However the bigger issue is why did IU need this in the first place?

Edit I forgot this was before the player health issues.  This actually makes it worse no?  You create a player bill or rights and then get accused in two sports of medically abusing players?  Maybe this is why he is so sensitive to not hurting the basketball players feelings?

From what I hear is that once a kid is on an athletic scholarship it can't go to an education scholarship so it still counts as a basketballs scholarship.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

From what I hear is that once a kid is on an athletic scholarship it can't go to an education scholarship so it still counts as a basketballs scholarship.

That is true in a sense.  But only true if they are on the team still after going to an academic from athletic. 

Say we have all our scholarships filled and we want to add another player.  We couldn't put a player on an academic scholly(unless we never recruited them) and give the new player his athletic scholarship.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Grant transferred. There's a strong case to be made either way for how it would count, but until someone is cut and stays we won't actually know the answer. 

A lot happened before Gelon transferred. He was called into an end of the year meeting with coach. Grant felt it would be just an ordinary end of the year review.  Instead, Grant was told that his services would not be needed for the next year.  Basically told in a nicest way possible, that he was cut.Thereby ending his athletic scholarship.  Grant wanted to stay on the team. But was told that would not be happening.  While true that Grant transferred.  But that was after he had been cut..  He could have finished out his degree at IU, just not on an athletic scholarship.

Crown Point's Grant Gelon unhappy about treatment at Indiana University | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball | nwitimes.com

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

According to the NCAA scholarships are awarded each year. Literally cutting a guy frees up the scholarship because you have chosen to not give it to them again. 

I understand that, but we are giving them a scholarship so did we really pull it away from basketball?

If there isn't an NCAA rule explicitly stating you can remove a guy from a team but keep them on scholarship and have it not count, then it's an open question. You're putting a lot of faith in the NCAA having common sense for an open question. 

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

A lot happened before Gelon transferred. He was called into an end of the year meeting with coach. Grant felt it would be just an ordinary end of the year review.  Instead, Grant was told that his services would not be needed for the next year.  Basically told in a nicest way possible, that he was cut.Thereby ending his athletic scholarship.  Grant wanted to stay on the team. But was told that would not be happening.  While true that Grant transferred.  But that was after he had been cut..  He could have finished out his degree at IU, just not on an athletic scholarship.

Crown Point's Grant Gelon unhappy about treatment at Indiana University | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball | nwitimes.com

Again, he transferred so this is nothing be theory. We don't know what would have happened if he stayed, because he moved on. Rather or not he was cut is completely irrelevant. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Did you even read the story ? 

I have read the story more than once, we all know the story well. Gelon and his parents made sure everyone knew how terrible they felt their son was treated. 

All we have in that article is Grant's whiny parents giving us a quote. We don't know what is actually allowed by the NCAA or where that scholarship would be counted by the NCAA. Do you see a quote from the NCAA saying where it would count? Do you have a rule saying where it would count?

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not what I heard and I think it was either Osterman or RabJohn that I heard explain it.

Rabjohns very vociferously explained it the way Milehi is explaining it, on Kent Sterling’s show.  And he didn’t say “I think.”  He basically said he wanted to clear up misconceptions.  He said it like it was a fact so I’m sure he’s talked to IU people to be so sure.  

This was the February 12 interview, scroll to five minute mark, available on podcasts.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Rabjohns very vociferously explained it the way Milehi is explaining it. I think it was on Kent Sterling’s show.  And he didn’t say “I think.”  He basically said he wanted to clear up misconceptions.  He said it like it was a fact so I’m sure he’s talked to IU people to be so sure.  

This was the February 12 interview, scroll to five minute mark, available on podcasts.  

I still contend it's speculation unless the NCAA says otherwise. Rabjohns having confidence doesn't prove he knows how the NCAA would rule the scholarship counts. 

Serious question, how can anyone be confident in how the NCAA would rule it counting short of a rule or statement from the NCAA? 

Archived