Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So cussing crosses the line, but calling an entire school's female population ugly doesn't?

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm fine with both. Seems like you can't have it both ways though. They are both poor examples for children.

No where above did I say I had an issue with it.  I think I more said it’s a sign of the times culturally so it did not surprise me and if anything I pointed out how this is nothing new and not surprising so not sure what you chose to jump on that.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

No where above did I say I had an issue with it.  I think I more said it’s a sign of the times culturally so it did not surprise me and if anything I pointed out how this is nothing new and not surprising so not sure what you chose to jump on that.

Not sure how you can take this and think anything other than "this person has an issue with it":

Unfortunately in this day and age cussing is more and more common.  You can say F and Sh on tv now with no issue as long as your show has the proper TV rating warnings.  Doesn't make it right but people are more and more thinking that bad language is appropriate in a public setting.  You would be amazed how much bad language is dropped around young kids in this town in public settings as well.

Then again I may just be getting crusty and old. I never realized two of my favorite childhood movies,the Goonies and ET, both drop curse words quite a bit until I rewatched them with my kids lol.

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Not sure how you can take this and think anything other than "this person has an issue with it":

Unfortunately in this day and age cussing is more and more common.  You can say F and Sh on tv now with no issue as long as your show has the proper TV rating warnings.  Doesn't make it right but people are more and more thinking that bad language is appropriate in a public setting.  You would be amazed how much bad language is dropped around young kids in this town in public settings as well.

Then again I may just be getting crusty and old. I never realized two of my favorite childhood movies,the Goonies and ET, both drop curse words quite a bit until I rewatched them with my kids lol.

No where did I say I had an issue with it so nice try.  Not once did I state the students should stop or deserved scolding.  If anything I questioned as a society if we are not getting with the times as this is more common.  Similar to how as generations move things change.

I could be completely making this up, but I thought a few years ago the NCAA did away with coaches being able to grab the mic in these situations? Again, I really might be making this up. But, I remember a few years ago the 'coach yelling at the crowd" thing basically becoming grandstanding opportunities on national TV games, coaches were doing it left and right over the slightest thing to get the exposure on TV, so they kind of stopped it. 

I think I'm making this up, but not sure?

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I could be completely making this up, but I thought a few years ago the NCAA did away with coaches being able to grab the mic in these situations? Again, I really might be making this up. But, I remember a few years ago the 'coach yelling at the crowd" thing basically becoming grandstanding opportunities on national TV games, coaches were doing it left and right over the slightest thing to get the exposure on TV, so they kind of stopped it. 

You are exactly right.  

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like I said earlier...Cal just got a lot of props for getting on the mic and telling the students to stop with the "overrated" cheer during the Tennessee game.

44 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I always have lived by the idea that a person who relies on swearing does so because they don't have anything intelligent to say.

44 minutes ago, Bob said:

I remember Bob Knight once stop the crowd when the chants were getting out of hand. Just don’t remember which game it was in. 

I was at a game where the fans behind the goal were waving their hands trying to distract the opponent shooting free throws.  RMK went to the scorers bench and grabbed the mic and said something to the affect, "knock it off! we don't do that crap here".  And the fans stopped.  I cannot remember which team or when but it had to have been mid to late 80s.

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

what was yours in posting the Twain comment? Just providing an alternative opinion.

I tend to tune out people who use a lot of profanity. Not a good look and not a good reflection on our student body, imo.

You made an absolute statement about the intelligence of people who use profanity, I just was showing an intelligent person who values the use of profanity. You're missing out on a lot of valuable insights and conversation if you tune out people who cuss. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You made an absolute statement about the intelligence of people who use profanity, I just was showing an intelligent person who values the use of profanity. You're missing out on a lot of valuable insights and conversation if you tune out people who cuss. 

I don't miss out on a thing....just believe that a person who makes the conscious decision to swear, does so because they can't express themselves or their viewpoints without. Unnecessary in my opinion and doesn't provide a good look for that person.

Archived