Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all starts at the very top.  From what I have read here and in various places President McRobbie doesn’t want sports to be the main focus of the university and the board doesn’t want a head coach to be bigger than the school.  IF that is true we are never going to get the big name coach our fans want and likely will have Glass until McRobbie retires.

10 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

It all starts at the very top.  From what I have read here and in various places President McRobbie doesn’t want sports to be the main focus of the university and the board doesn’t want a head coach to be bigger than the school.  IF that is true we are never going to get the big name coach our fans want and likely will have Glass until McRobbie retires.

I am of the belief that people confuse McRobbie not caring about sports and wanting it to not be the main focus of the school with him somehow holding it back. 

I think he just simply doesn't care; the problem is Fred Glass is more concerned with having nice coaches than coaches who can win. Archie Miller was known as a fiery coach when he was hired but he looks to me like a coach who has been neutered. I think Glass has told the coaches they aren't allowed to have explosive behavior. 

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

For A.D.?

Jim Phillips (Northwestern)

Chris Del Conte (TCU)

Joe Castiglione (Oklahoma)

Chris Pezman (Houston)

Thank you. I will pass those names along to the people who can do something about it.  Much appreciated for coming up with a solution, rather than a complaint.

Keep in mind, it was the boosters who got into the ears of the people who can make the difference, in terms of Crean.  They were the ones who let the BOT know how they felt at the time.   

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Facilities.  SEZ. New Volleyball and Wrestling home... on campus.  Refurbished Golf.  New scoreboards for Swimming.  Improved game day environment at Memorial Stadium. Hired a quality coach for baseball, when the other great BB coach left for what he thought were greener pastures.  Elevated men's and women's swimming to national stature once again.  Continues to keep IU soccer on top of the nation. Able to solicit funds from alumni for major facility improvements in numerous venues. Not to mention keeping the entire IU Athletic program in the black... something his predecessor failed to do.  The list goes on and on. 

Track and CC is booming

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t know if I agree or disagree with the premise of this thread. But what I am fairly confident about is that an AD can’t make any team win 

He's the CEO of the athletic department and his two biggest divisions are flailing. Maybe he isn't the one at fault, but he is the one responsible. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's pretty obvious, Fred Glass needs to be done. Our two revenue programs are garbage, both coaches should be in a pivotal year for their tenure next year and Fred Glass does not deserve the chance to 1) decide the fate of either coach and 2) hire a potential replacement for either coach. 

If Glass doesn't go now, he will be in position to make those decisions about potentially two coaches before he is let go. Or if he is let go at the same time, you have to find a new AD before a coach and you're new AD is behind the 8 ball on their first hire. 

Glass has been a nice guy and done a lot for our facilities, but our two most important programs have sucked under his watch. 

#firefred

Wat have you done on your part to make it happen because just starting a thread is not going to get the job done.  Also both programs was already bad before he got here and to blame the football program on him is not right.  I am 48 years old and probably have seen 7 good seasons in football so it goes beyond Glass.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wat have you done on your part to make it happen because just starting a thread is not going to get the job done.

What does this even mean? I'm a fan, what do you expect me to do besides start a discussion on it? My only weapon is to bring up discussion. 

If we have more power than discussing this, tell us what it is. If you don't think we have more, then suggesting we do in a post makes for an incredibly stupid post. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So can you tell us what each one of these candidates has done to think they are the right guy.

Well the first 3 are on lists of the too A.D.'s in the country when I went out looking for names.

Northwestern A.D.?  They field a competitive football team every year and they compete in the BIG while being on the low end of enrollment and the high end of academic requirement.  I think he would be able to help the football program without hurting basketball.  Additionally, he made a hire that got Northwestern to their first NCAA tournament ever, despite the built in obstacles for that program.

TCU AD?  Again on Top 10 lists.  Runs a program that is not as competitive as his conference peers from a monetary and name recognition standpoint, but still gets solid results from his coaches.

Oklahoma AD.  Again on Top 10 lists.  Runs a basketball and football program that are both competitive nationally.  Would probably cost a pretty penny but he has a proven track record.

Houston AD.  Thinking outside the box a bit.  Not a top flight school but they have found a way to punch above their weight class in football and basketball.  They also do this in a state where they are way down the list in pecking order.  

I looked at this not just from a basketball perspective but from football as well.

I would love to be a CEO for a bunch of you guys.  If I could work for you and not be held accountable for improving my two most major commodities because they sucked when I got hired I would milk that job for as long as I could.

IU hired the guy that built a bunch of buildings in Indy to fix IUs major sports.  Instead IU has gotten a bunch of shiny new buildings and remodels.  Fred has actually done great at what he has always done best.  But it’s not surprising the guy with no background leading an athletics dept has failed to get the two top programs to improve.

He has hired coaches that bully and yell at IU employees/st troopers, coaches that sexually harass, and coaches that ignore medical issues.  The bad far outweighs the good.

Football will never be a top notch program. Any coach that wins here would immediately be snatched up by a bigger program...and to consistently beat OSU, Mich, and PsU....yeah not likely. If we can get a team that makes a bowl year in and out and pulls an upset every year or two against those top tier is the best we can hope. Basketball is another story. Basketball should be our flag ship program and soccer and the diving/swimming should look to stay near the top. I would put Baseball up there before football...football is a money maker I understand but it just isn’t in the cards do us. No reason we shouldn’t have a premier coach in the game in basketball though...whatever it costs...and no reason the locker room and facilities should have fallen so far behind like it did.

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

He has hired coaches that bully and yell at IU employees/st troopers, coaches that sexually harass, and coaches that ignore medical issues.  The bad far outweighs the good.

Isn't that all just one guy ?  Besides Wilson, what other coaches have done all of that ?   I want names. Give me names, and facts. We all know about Wilson. Since you are saying coaches... give me others..

Should Fred be fired? I don't know. I do know though he shouldn't be allowed to hire another coach in Men's Football or Basketball until Allen or Miller prove they have winning programs.

My belief though is that if Allen doesn't make a bowl this year for 3rd straight season (after previous coach had back to back teams who made bowls) he should probably be gone which means Fred will be gone because BOT won't allow Fred to make another hire. 

Archived