Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Isn't that all just one guy ?  Besides Wilson, what other coaches have done all of that ?   I want names. Give me names, and facts. We all know about Wilson. Since you are saying coaches... give me others..

Curt Miller? The former women's basketball coach. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the suggestion. However, will have to say no.  Too close to recruiting scandals.   Fired with cause.

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich leveraged big deals to build university into sports powerhouse only to watch it burn amid charges of excess

I never really heard much on the Jurich front.  Thank you mile.

I will say it needs to be a proven winner with a proven track record (and being clean is also a must).  I dont care if they have IU ties or not (it’s nice but not a must imo) just no more projects or reaches or potential “rising stars”, pay the money, get someone in here that knows how to handle a program like this, otherwise, might as well keep Glass.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What does this even mean? I'm a fan, what do you expect me to do besides start a discussion on it? My only weapon is to bring up discussion. 

If we have more power than discussing this, tell us what it is. If you don't think we have more, then suggesting we do in a post makes for an incredibly stupid post. 

Yep, negative comments on a message board only keep IU from getting recruits.  lol

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

There's a name I haven't thought of in a few years. Almost forgot about him. That was one pretty big rug that everyone swept that story under. 

I agree. A lot of speculation over that one.  I have some issues, however, with what may or may not have gone down.  Little known to many is the guy missed three or four games... due to a heart attack, which he never made a public issue about. Next, when he announced he would be leaving the program for health (heart issues again) and personal (one son was having problems with the law) reasons, instead of removing Miller immediately, IU kept him on for nearly another month. Seems odd to me if they would do that, if the real problem was what so many were speculating about at the time. I will say, that at one time, I bought into the speculation about Miller, but after doing some checking, now I am not so sure.  Could be true, maybe not. As I am saying, leaning the other way.

Even stranger yet, is after the Connecticut Sun (WNBA) conducted an exhaustive search for a new coach they had just fired, either did not vet Curt thoroughly, or just decided to overlook what people speculated as to why IU and Miller decided to go separate ways. 

Lastly, let's not forget who recruited the greatest IU women's BB player (IMHO) of all time. 

There’s one guy that I think would make an excellent AD.

- He has management experience

- He has experience both creating and rebuilding highly successful projects 

- He has vast experience dealing with unreasonable and unruly fans and their expectations 

- I have no way to vet him, but by all appearances, his nose is clean and he has no skeletons in his closet 

- I believe that he would receive, if not unanimous, then near unanimous support from this forum.

Crester for AD!

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Curt Miller? The former women's basketball coach. 

Correct.  Sexual harrassment is him.  Not to mention his family was well known to cause trouble in town including robbing a gas station.

If it was just medical issues a leave of absence would have made more sense.  It was the off season.  Plenty of time to get evaluated and rest.  Terrible time to find a coach and he was lucky to be able to find Moren

I will say he has made some what I think are solid hires as well.  Love the new volleyball coach, as well as the softball coach.  I think Mercer could be a great pick and Lemonis was solid as well.  Yeagley was an easy choice but he did hire him so have to give credit there too.

It just seems to me the bad has outweighed the good in a lot of areas.  I personally wonder if the overall IU athletics cultural issue starts with him and his lack of oversight when it was needed.  And now it sounds like he has taken it to the opposite extreme which doesn’t work either.

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

Correct.  Sexual harrassment is him.  Not to mention his family was well known to cause trouble in town including robbing a gas station.

If it was just medical issues a leave of absence would have made more sense.  It was the off season.  Plenty of time to get evaluated and rest.  Terrible time to find a coach and he was lucky to be able to find Moren

Moren has been a great hire, IMHO.  When one door closes, another.....well you know.

We may disagree on Curt Miller, as to the true reason for his resignation.  We do know one of his son's legal problems.  And we do know that at one time Miller had a heart attack. So even if the timing was bad, still probable the reasons he gave for resigning could be valid.  Regardless we know, he resigned, rather than getting fired by Glass, like Kevin Wilson.

Now... I must confess. I know little to nothing about rowing. Please enlighten me. I had to check. IU's web site says that Steve Peterson is entering his 16th season as rowing coach.

Steve Peterson - Women's Rowing Coach - Indiana University Athletics

Was it an assistant of some type ?  Or are you thinking women's field hockey?

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Moren has been a great hire, IMHO.  When one door closes, another.....well you know.

We may disagree on Curt Miller, as to the true reason for his resignation.  We do know one of his son's legal problems.  And we do know that at one time Miller had a heart attack. So even if the timing was bad, still probable the reasons he gave for resigning could be valid.  Regardless we know, he resigned, rather than getting fired by Glass, like Kevin Wilson.

Now... I must confess. I know little to nothing about rowing. Please enlighten me. I had to check. IU's web site says that Steve Peterson is entering his 16th season as rowing coach.

Steve Peterson - Women's Rowing Coach - Indiana University Athletics

Was it an assistant of some type ?  Or are you thinking women's field hockey?

It was rowing, not his hire I confess, but does show the pattern of lack of oversight of his coaches.  Scarily similar to what happened on the football field.  It wasn’t just football that drove this push to players rights to the extreme.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Even stranger yet, is after the Connecticut Sun (WNBA) conducted an exhaustive search for a new coach they had just fired, either did not vet Curt thoroughly, or just decided to overlook what people speculated as to why IU and Miller decided to go separate ways.

The person that hired him as an assistant in LA, and was one of the biggest supporters of his getting the job in Connecticut, is the father of a player that played for Curt at IU. Qualifies as being vetted in my book.

51 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

It was rowing, not his hire I confess, but does show the pattern of lack of oversight of his coaches.  Scarily similar to what happened on the football field.  It wasn’t just football that drove this push to players rights to the extreme.

Still not quite not sure what you mean.  I apologize for acting stupid, on a sport I rarely follow.  BIG championships is about all.  However, are you saying there is/was a scandal involving Peterson ?  Or, has he been let go, ala Wilson ?   Not trying to be difficult.  Just want to find out what went on with women's rowing.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Still not quite not sure what you mean.  I apologize for acting stupid, on a sport I rarely follow.  BIG championships is about all.  However, are you saying there is/was a scandal involving Peterson ?  Or, has he been let go, ala Wilson ?   Not trying to be difficult.  Just want to find out what went on with women's rowing.

I provided the link above to the story about rowing

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did not say he was but to act like you have any idea how good other candidates are is not being truthful as well.  Most people couldn't tell you who is the AD at any school and have nay idea how good they are at their job.

Good thing I didn't act like that. I actually said I don't know who we should go after. I don't have to know how good about candidate is to know I've seen enough of Fred Glass. 

Glass gave up a with a job with a top 20 law firm. I have a friend who wrote a letter to former university president Adam Herbert telling him not to hire Sampson when they did and she's a former IU grad. My mother even knows Glass because the healthcare company she was the chief executive officer of did some work with their firm but he wasn't the lawyer they used within the practice.

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

I provided the link above to the story about rowing

That's my bad, and totally on me, as I overlooked your link.  Appreciate you're bringing it to my attention.  And after doing some research into what went on, it does not look like IU was on top of it's game here.  However, upon further review , it appears that IU has moved to make major revisions in their policy regarding injuries to athletes.

IU Changes Policy After Athletes' Malpractice Claims - Athletic Business

So the question remains.  Did Mr. Glass have a hand in the changes ?  Only reason I ask, is because it seems some are laying blame for the injury problems in the FB program and rowing program, at the foot of Mr. Glass.  And if that is the case, why should Mr. Glass not get credit for the change in policy ?

Also, while doing my research on this topic....I found that IU spent $1.4 million in 2014-2015 for injuries to athletes.  Now... though that seems like a lot of money, I have no idea if that is comparable to other schools in the BIG or not.

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

Glass gave up a with a job with a top 20 law firm. I have a friend who wrote a letter to former university president Adam Herbert telling him not to hire Sampson when they did and she's a former IU grad. My mother even knows Glass because the healthcare company she was the chief executive officer of did some work with their firm but he wasn't the lawyer they used within the practice.

Rick Greenspan was the IU athletic director when Kelvin Sampson was hired.

Archived