Thoughts on Fred Glass Thread

KoB2011

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't miss out on a thing....just believe that a person who makes the conscious decision to swear, does so because they can't express themselves or their viewpoints without. Unnecessary in my opinion and doesn't provide a good look for that person.

I personally don't cuss and have always linked it to lack of vocabulary and would hammer students with it. Can you not come up with any other adjectives etc.. "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds", because I loved CBK's rants. Even the use of the F word as the greatest word in the English vocabulary.

I was coaching on a Saturday morning walk  through and had my oldest 2 kids with me and I said, What the hell are we doing out here to the team. My daughter text Mom immediately that Dad is cussing out the team. My wife replied with what he say, heck, shucks or darn. My daughter was like no it was real bad he said the H word. My kids have heard 3 cuss words from me and all were on the basketball court. 

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yes, if you believe BTown Insider, we were talking to Billy Donovan.

I think we have to consider the idea that what makes a job elite has changed drastically over the past twenty years...

IU certainly has things going for it that make it a good job (recruiting base, facilities, passionate fan base, and monetary investment), but there are some significant detractions as well (there is no cover provided by the football program. Many of the best jobs in the Big Ten are good jobs in part because the football program takes the pressure off the basketball program in terms of attention and demand for immediate results...also, football weekends have proved to be important for recruiting for many of the most successful Big Ten basketball programs...I live in Columbus, Ohio and know it to be true of OSU and went to school in Michigan where I saw it to be true for MSU and UM....

Recruiting is more national than ever and so the strength of the recruiting base is mitigated more that it would have been thirty years ago...

Also I will say this...in Columbus this past week they ran a several page article about the genius of Chris Holtman (during a underachieving season for them)...but that is the norm here and elsewhere....The Media in Columbus is an actual mouthpiece for the university...There have been radio personalities fired for criticizing OSU. OSU actually owns Columbus...while the Media in Indiana has had IU on blast for the past twenty years...

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I personally don't cuss and have always linked it to lack of vocabulary and would hammer students with it. Can you not come up with any other adjectives etc.. "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds", because I loved CBK's rants. Even the use of the F word as the greatest word in the English vocabulary.

I was coaching on a Saturday morning walk  through and had my oldest 2 kids with me and I said, What the hell are we doing out here to the team. My daughter text Mom immediately that Dad is cussing out the team. My wife replied with what he say, heck, shucks or darn. My daughter was like no it was real bad he said the H word. My kids have heard 3 cuss words from me and all were on the basketball court. 

There's a lot of very intelligent people that likely have larger vocabularies than most/all on the board that cuss regularly. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's a lot of very intelligent people that likely have larger vocabularies than most/all on the board that cuss regularly. 

That there are and if a student elected to use it in my class they never did again after the others said oh you just ripped by a teacher. Obviously if I like CBK I am fine with every cuss word every heard and some made up, I just choose not to use them as stated I prefer and know many other words in the language to get my point across. I don't judge, cuss as much as you like but last night was not a good look for our crowd.  I would much rather listen to the old lady in the balcony, an usher that used to tell us to yell Apple sauce instead of BS. 

Mark me in the category of someone who cusses during sporting events. Sorry. It's not all the time and not something I do routinely. Something about IU Hoops that just gets the blood rolling.

I remember Hightower staring me down vs Ohio St one year. Sometimes with IU and Bears football the mouth overtakes logic/sense. 

While I know it’s not football or basketball I think  it’s fair to point out the softball team is on fire right now.  They finished last year strong and this year they have started undefeated and beat Georgia.  Still a lot of season to play but this was one move I was happy Glass made and so far seems to be paying off.  I also think volleyball could take a huge leap next year as well.  Does that outweigh continued lack of performance in the highest revenue generating sports?  Not sure but I don’t want to bash glass without also posting areas he seems to have made a solid choice.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yes, if you believe BTown Insider, we were talking to Billy Donovan.

While I think things got over exaggerated with Donovan and took on a life of its own my wife heard first hand from a former BOT member that he wanted to try and get Donovan.  Was that a pipe dream, likely.  But the name was thrown around by people for sure.  I think the problem is you have to call Donovan or Stevens, but asking and sending feelers does not correlate to them being almost hired.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

That there are and if a student elected to use it in my class they never did again after the others said oh you just ripped by a teacher. Obviously if I like CBK I am fine with every cuss word every heard and some made up, I just choose not to use them as stated I prefer and know many other words in the language to get my point across. I don't judge, cuss as much as you like but last night was not a good look for our crowd.  I would much rather listen to the old lady in the balcony, an usher that used to tell us to yell Apple sauce instead of BS. 

Was her name Wilma?  

10 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I think we have to consider the idea that what makes a job elite has changed drastically over the past twenty years...

IU certainly has things going for it that make it a good job (recruiting base, facilities, passionate fan base, and monetary investment), but there are some significant detractions as well (there is no cover provided by the football program. Many of the best jobs in the Big Ten are good jobs in part because the football program takes the pressure off the basketball program in terms of attention and demand for immediate results...also, football weekends have proved to be important for recruiting for many of the most successful Big Ten basketball programs...I live in Columbus, Ohio and know it to be true of OSU and went to school in Michigan where I saw it to be true for MSU and UM....

Recruiting is more national than ever and so the strength of the recruiting base is mitigated more that it would have been thirty years ago...

Also I will say this...in Columbus this past week they ran a several page article about the genius of Chris Holtman (during a underachieving season for them)...but that is the norm here and elsewhere....The Media in Columbus is an actual mouthpiece for the university...There have been radio personalities fired for criticizing OSU. OSU actually owns Columbus...while the Media in Indiana has had IU on blast for the past twenty years...

How do you explain Kentucky? UCLA? Duke? Kansas? UNC? Syracuse? Villanova? Gonzaga? Arizona? I mean I stopped to thinknfor about 15 seconds and came up with those.

sorry, a good salesmen sells a basketball first school as being a positive ABOVE a football first school, they don’t make it an excuse.

flip side...Alabama? Texas? LSU? Texas A&M? Do I need to keep going because I can...

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, KoB2011 said:

I am of the belief that people confuse McRobbie not caring about sports and wanting it to not be the main focus of the school with him somehow holding it back. 

I think he just simply doesn't care; the problem is Fred Glass is more concerned with having nice coaches than coaches who can win. Archie Miller was known as a fiery coach when he was hired but he looks to me like a coach who has been neutered. I think Glass has told the coaches they aren't allowed to have explosive behavior. 

Remember IU is a Zero Tolerance university.  

Another bad example of our Ath. Dept. This week IU is host for the Big Ten swimming and Diving Championship. There is no on site parking, which there is a lot across the street but didnt use it, instead they are busing fans in from the football lots. Also fans are carrying in food from outside because IU didnt open any concession areas. A couple of fans said we're lucky they put water in the pool. Not a good look for IU.

Archived