Minnesota Postgame Thread

13 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Not a shot at coach.  Some people blame Glass and I just want to know if he is to blame.  I think he did a good job hiring CAM. Maybe CAM doesn't work out, but Glass was not an idiot for hiring him.  I am really curious as what is the cause of the collapse this season and why it seems like CAM making obvious decisions to change things.  Maybe this team would stink no matter who coached them, I just want to get some sense or insight into why a seemingly quality coach is having the results that he is having.

I am bewildered. And I’m under the impression that it’s much more plausible to believe there’s a unique negative aspect to this team and that’s the larger chunk as to why we suck and not that for years Archie built a resume that he looked like a great up and coming coach but in reality all those years he got LUCKY and it just so happens that this is really the coach he is...that this team under anyone else would have 10 more wins but gosh he’s such a horrid coach that it’s all on him.

thats what ticks me off of the naysayers. What we are witnessing is a cataclysmic meltdown of epic proportions. There is NO way I can simplify this in my mind to simply “whoops Glass hired a lemon for a coach.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Not a shot at coach.  Some people blame Glass and I just want to know if he is to blame.  I think he did a good job hiring CAM. Maybe CAM doesn't work out, but Glass was not an idiot for hiring him.  I am really curious as what is the cause of the collapse this season and why it seems like CAM making obvious decisions to change things.  Maybe this team would stink no matter who coached them, I just want to get some sense or insight into why a seemingly quality coach is having the results that he is having.

In my opinion, I do not think that Miller knows how to manage the egos of talented players.  I also believe that he treated Romeo different from other players.  Smith and his Dad get quite a bit of (legitimate) criticism, but let's not forget Romeo's videographer buddy complaining that Romeo should have been taking the game winning shot when Phinisee hit his buzzer beater against Butler.

I think he needs to realize that one and done or not, those guys have to be treated EXACTLY like everyone else.  And he started to realize that, except instead of reeling in everyone, he appears to have gone soft on everyone.  So the team still is mad about the lack of fair treatment earlier in the year and now they have lost all respect and fear of the coaching staff.  Romeo laughing at Ostrom and blowing him off on the bench.  Yeah, we rag on Green and Smith but I hope Romeo goes pro after this year too.  I think that he is every bit the sulking cancer as the other guys.  And I believe that is all because Miller is used to coaching 2 and 3 star guys with something to prove as opposed to 5* players who were treated like the best thing since sliced cheese since they were in middle school.

This will not be popular but I think everyone involved would have been better off if Romeo had picked Vandy or Kansas.

Considering the six day break leading up this game, there is really not much to say at this point. 

• Shot selection was questionable for the entirety of the game. As a result the offense works so hard and yet it doesn't convert.
  • Small detail, but players are rounding corners and not cutting with intention. College basketball is a game of inches (as seen by the MSU game). 
  • Clifton Moore not being in the game really speaks to his readiness to compete and/or the trust that the staff in him.

Here are the full reactions post-game. 

Indiana vs Minnesota - IU Player Reactions

Indiana vs Minneosta - Golden Gopher Player Reactions

Indiana vs Minnesota - Archie Miller Reaction

51 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Question for the great a knowledgeable members of this site:  If CAM has the know-how, commitment and energy to coach, in what way(s) could Fred Glass impair his ability to succeed?  I am not thinking about nonsensical things like meeting with players and saying to them to ignore their coach, but I really want to know how Glass could shoulder the blame for this program under the assumption that Archie has the goods.  

1) if Archie doesn't have the goods, Glass hired him and deserves blame

2) he could have the goods but have had his hands tied by Glass 

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From my seat in the house, Archie has continued to play Justin and Devonte major minutes at the expense of other players that may actually care.  At some point, when something is not working (and I think we all can agree it's not), maybe try something/someone different.

While I agree with this in principle, what are your options? Damezi got some minutes today and was, frankly, awful. He took and missed a horrendous 3 with respect to basketball IQ, didn't even draw iron on another, had a pass go out of bounds because he just ... didn't catch it, and made a couple of other glaring mistakes and looked like he didn't care in general. As for the front court, Fitzner is clearly not a D1 player, and Forrester and Moore have been just as inconsistent as Smith. My guess is Archie is planning on Forrester and Moore being back, and is trying to figure out whether he wants Justin back or not. Complete speculation, but it's kind of the only thing that makes sense.  

1 minute ago, SoInHoosier25 said:

Unfortunately it's probably too late to have a meaningful impact on the season. Mid January would have been a good time for something drastic. Or even late January. 

I would have made a drastic change the minute after a certain parental tweet went out.  

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Bruiser needs to go.  He adds nothing.

Maybe so. What do Schilling and Ostrom add? Both seem to be recruiters and you can only have one of those guys on staff. Bruiser might be the only assistant who knows how to run a practice if Archie is on the trail. 

Schilling was supposed to be the player development guru but that claim doesn’t pass the eye test. 

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't feel like watching it either, but it will be interesting to see if they are truly  'drastic'.  I don't see starting Deron, but still giving Justin 20 minutes as 'drastic'.  But, even if they are major, it's too late.  Something should have happened 6-7 games ago.

What would you have done? No harm in losing at Michigan or at Maryland. The home loss to Nebraska was bad. Would you have made those changes playing at Purdue? Just asking for your solution. 

43 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

He fired Wilson for more than "getting on players", right?  If Archie thinks he needs to turn over players and Glass doesn't want him to, can Glass really stop him?  Would he fire Archie for demanding players put effort in?  Or fire him for "getting rid of players" who showed no commitment to the style of play of their coach, a coach that Glass chose?  I can't fathom that Fred would hire a guy, then stop him from implementing the very changes he was hired to do.

Why not? It happens ALL. THE. TIME. in corporate America, why would we assume IU is somehow different? 

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll gp back to this.  There may have been some locker room friction earlier in teh year, but we were still winning.  Since Edward Smith's tweet, we have one one game and lost something like 11.  That tweet broke the camel's back.

Agree. The day that broke I said on this board good luck with this tweet. You shot your sons confidence and now his teammates won't trust him. Look where things stand 10 games later. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

What would you have done? No harm in losing at Michigan or at Maryland. The home loss to Nebraska was bad. Would you have made those changes playing at Purdue? Just asking for your solution. 

I would be playing Jake Forrester because I think he cares.

I would being giving Clifton Moore additional minutes because, while he makes mistakes, he has been fairly productive when he does get to play.  

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

In my opinion, I do not think that Miller knows how to manage the egos of talented players.  I also believe that he treated Romeo different from other players.  Smith and his Dad get quite a bit of (legitimate) criticism, but let's not forget Romeo's videographer buddy complaining that Romeo should have been taking the game winning shot when Phinisee hit his buzzer beater against Butler.

I think he needs to realize that one and done or not, those guys have to be treated EXACTLY like everyone else.  And he started to realize that, except instead of reeling in everyone, he appears to have gone soft on everyone.  So the team still is mad about the lack of fair treatment earlier in the year and now they have lost all respect and fear of the coaching staff.  Romeo laughing at Ostrom and blowing him off on the bench.  Yeah, we rag on Green and Smith but I hope Romeo goes pro after this year too.  I think that he is every bit the sulking cancer as the other guys.  And I believe that is all because Miller is used to coaching 2 and 3 star guys with something to prove as opposed to 5* players who were treated like the best thing since sliced cheese since they were in middle school.

This will not be popular but I think everyone involved would have been better off if Romeo had picked Vandy or Kansas.

That is quite the complex theory. Would love for you to share some concrete reasons to justify what you’re saying. I’ve read so many things from so many people on this site and others who have followed Indiana HS ball for decades saying Romeo is one of the most humble super stars the state has produced in years.

and this notion that some how 5 stars come with this automatic baggage that somehow 3 stars don’t ever have? You realize every single one of these 2,3,4,5 star players were for the most part GODD at their HS. You paint this picture of Archie running around pulling his hair out in complete disarray at the thought of coaching a basketball player that a website puts an extra star next to their name. Sorry if I call this a bit of a reach.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

That is quite the complex theory. Would love for you to share some concrete reasons to justify what you’re saying. I’ve read so many things from so many people on this site and others who have followed Indiana HS ball for decades saying Romeo is one of the most humble super stars the state has produced in years.

One concrete reason might be that Langford has a personal videographer. I didn't know that, but it would certainly fly in the face of humility if true.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why not? It happens ALL. THE. TIME. in corporate America, why would we assume IU is somehow different? 

Because in most of corporate America there isn’t the X factor of “public perception” and “selling tickets” and “dealing with teenagers and parents.” A couple key distinctions.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would have made a drastic change the minute after a certain parental tweet went out.  

Yes. Ever since that tweet came out we’ve been playing awful. Coincidence? Regardless, I do think Smith is a big part of the problem. Let’s face it, the drastic changes will not happen till after the season - but I would start with Smith...either get with the program or get the hell out.

2 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

One concrete reason might be that Langford has a personal videographer. I didn't know that, but it would certainly fly in the face of humility if true.

I certainly don’t doubt you at all. Then if true then his family did a great job of “selling him” falsely throughout his HS career. Which could be true.

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Because in most of corporate America there isn’t the X factor of “public perception” and “selling tickets” and “dealing with teenagers and parents.” A couple key distinctions.

I don't see why those things would make it less likely Fred Glass is a bad boss. 

If Freddie is worried about public perception and being nice, which it appears he is, he would make the two most public coaches have the hardest jobs. Oddly enough, those two jobs are the two where we struggle the most. 

Archived