Minnesota Postgame Thread

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Where have I dogged Morgan?  Where have I dogged Al?  Where have I dogged De'Ron?  Where have I dogged Cliff?  

I have criticized Justin and Devonte, and a large part of that has to do with things like drug suspensions and divisive tweeting by a parent.  

Sorry, you are right.  Seeking6 was the one who said the rest of the team basically sucked.  Yet I need to cool it because I compared Langford to Noah Vonleh and said that for me, after all the hype, I am underwhelmed.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rico said:

I get the frustration, I really really do.  I am frustrated myself.  But bickering ain't gonna solve anything.  We are who we are...and yes, that is bad basketball team that isn't what I grew up watching.  

True.

The thing that frustrates me is Langford getting a free pass.  He took 6 shots today and scored 10 points in 31 minutes per the boxscore.  Deron did that in 18.  Green had 8 in much less time.  But we are going to be critical of some of those guys but Langford is above criticism for the same stuff.  I would submit that the other players are hearing the same double standard and it has helped RIP the team apart.  Smith appears to share blame in that and I think Langford does as well.  As does Miller for not holding it together and as does Morgan for not providing the type of senior leadership to keep the team together.

Everyone deserves blame, including Romeo Langford.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sorry, you are right.  Seeking6 was the one who said the rest of the team basically sucked.  Yet I need to cool it because I compared Langford to Noah Vonleh and said that for me, after all the hype, I am underwhelmed.

And, in no way am I telling you to 'cool it'. You are entitled to your opinion.   

I am simply sharing with you facts about Romeo that counter your perception that he is creating division on the team.  

I firmly believe my stance on this topic has far more to back it than yours does, and you will not be able to change my mind.  But, as long as you are civil, and can refrain from implying I said things I didn't, then we can have a friendly disagreement.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is Noah Vonleh.  Good one year player on a terrible team.

Additionally, I find it odd that I am out of line for criticizing Romeo when the poster I was responding to was literally dogging the entire rest of the team (including senior Morgan) for not being good enough to help out Romeo.  Nevermind that most of those guys won more games without him last year.  That is what I am talking about with the deference given Langford.

I personally don’t feel you’re out of line for criticizing Romeo as a player. My brother and I have talked a lot since December about what is the root cause of his standing around, which is the most puzzling thing to me.... ( especially away from the ball. You can tell whenhe thinks he isn’t going to get the ball) but where I personally feel you are way off is implying that somehow Romeo is the cause or a partaker in what we all can see is a clear division on the team. Just today Dackich pointed out how Romeo passes too much. Just not the earmarks of a selfish player. I cannot begin to tell you how many games he left early where he probably could have scored many more points. Trust me when I say that he could have broken Damon’s record. Is his lack of “killer instinct” a fair criticism for that? Maybe. But not in any way does that imply he is a cancer behind the scenes. Without saying much more, I can assure you also, that his dad is not the only influence on him, and that the autograph signing, the hospital appearances and birthdays etc, are all very authentic. He has permanently endeared himself to his community, many of which are lamenting that he did not go across the river rather than deal with friendly fire from our own Hoosier faithful. The Brooks family, and many others are watching....

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Wanna play Xbox and smoke a bowl!!!!!!!!

No, but I will sign off now.   No sense continuing to argue with you all.  Just disagree with some of the stances some are taking and the fact that I am pissed about how this year has gone is making me more combative.

This is not fun anymore, has not been for sometime.  If not for an attachment to this program that developed through my younger days, I would have quit on all of this awhile ago.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, in no way am I telling you to 'cool it'. You are entitled to your opinion.   

I am simply sharing with you facts about Romeo that counter your perception that he is creating division on the team.  

I firmly believe my stance on this topic has far more to back it than yours does, and you will not be able to change my mind.  But, as long as you are civil, and can refrain from implying I said things I didn't, then we can have a friendly disagreement.

I just do not buy that Romeo is without some blame here.  Guess we can agree to disagree.

I think most of us can agree that this sucks though.  Have a good rest of the weekend man.

Romeo can be a fantastic guy and his teammates can still harbour resentment.  My senior year of high school I had a girl friend that was a phenomenal gymnast and wound up winning, I think, 4 national championships at Louisville.  During homecoming her dad had a camera guy follow her around all night,  she cheered, did lots of flips, and won homecoming.  She won homecoming because she was an awesome person and was voted by the students but something changed that night.   Her cheer mates started resenting her.  All the attention messed up her friend circle and it wasn't directly her fault.  

I see similarities in these two stories.  

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I just do not buy that Romeo is without blame here.  Guess we can agree to disagree.

I think most of us can agree that this sucks though.  Have a good rest of the weekend man.

I guess I just don't understand how Justin being jealous of Romeo's celebrity is Romeo's fault, or somehow makes Romeo less genuine.

I mean, I started losing my hair in my late 20's.  I have none now.  If I'm jealous when guys I pass on the street have a head-full of flowing locks, is that their fault, or is it something I need to get over?

Romeo could be scoring 30 points a game if he wanted to go all Trae Young or Markus Howard on the opponent.  But he does not.    

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, but I will sign off now.   No sense continuing to argue with you all.  Just disagree with some of the stances some are taking and the fact that I am pissed about how this year has gone is making me more combative.

This is not fun anymore, has not been for sometime.  If not for an attachment to this program that developed through my younger days, I would have quit on all of this awhile ago.

Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY, is more upset than I am.  You can take that to the bank.  And I am not arguing with you.  And don't be combative.  We all love all IU here(I think).  It touches us all to go through this misery.  We can't do anything to help by typing on a keyboard.  Just express our frustration, give our opinions of what is "wrong", give our opinions of how to fix it...that is what a forum is all about.  

Just keep the faith Bro, but don't wind yourself around the game so tightly...we don't play the games.  Although I would be the best FT shooter on this team!

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I guess I just don't understand how Justin being jealous of Romeo's celebrity is Romeo's fault, or somehow makes Romeo less genuine.

I mean, I started losing my hair in my late 20's.  I have none now.  If I'm jealous when guys I pass on the street have a head-full of flowing locks, is that their fault, or is it something I need to get over?

Romeo could be scoring 30 points a game if he wanted to go all Trae Young or Markus Howard on the opponent.  But he does not.    

Fouls, why do think that isn't happening? I'm persuaded that Langford is a good kid and I believe he's a team first guy, but at the same time, the Warriors have Stephen Curry & Kevin Durant on that team and Klay Thompson is still jacking up tons of shots in every game. If Langford is a future SG in the NBA, doesn't he sort of have to start acting like it? We are told over and over and over again what a great scorer he is. Well, why not score when clearly nothing is working for the team right now? Wouldn't you want to showcase your abilities and skills to NBA scouts at this point? Wouldn't you want to show you can take over games and drop 30 for a few games? I'm having a disconnect between the players Romeo has to become to be a great NBA player and the player he is now? Why aren't we seeing that transition to NBA scorer?

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Romeo can be a fantastic guy and his teammates can still harbour resentment.  My senior year of high school I had a girl friend that was a phenomenal gymnast and wound up winning, I think, 4 national championships at Louisville.  During homecoming her dad had a camera guy follow her around all night,  she cheered, did lots of flips, and won homecoming.  She won homecoming because she was an awesome person and was voted by the students but something changed that night.   Her cheer mates started resenting her.  All the attention messed up her friend circle and it wasn't directly her fault.  

Jealousy is a cruel animal.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Being a partially (I SAID PARTIALLY) balding guy ;) I find this analogy hilarious and TRUE! Lol!!!!!

8 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Point to where I said they sucked? Don't twist my words to get yourself out of a whole. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Romeo can be a fantastic guy and his teammates can still harbor resentment.  My senior year of high school I had a girl friend that was a phenomenal gymnast and wound up winning, I think, 4 national championships at Louisville.  During homecoming her dad had a camera guy follow her around all night,  she cheered, did lots of flips, and won homecoming.  She won homecoming because she was an awesome person and was voted by the students but something changed that night.   Her cheer mates started resenting her.  All the attention messed up her friend circle and it wasn't directly her fault.  

Happens all the time in all walks of life. People will never understand the type of pressure a kid like Romeo has to deal with. His best friends or teammates know that in less than 4-5 months he'll have millions while some of the others won't. That resentment is real. Now it's the job of the coach to handle that but the coach doesn't follow the player around 24 hours a day. 

I remember the Bailey/Kentucky transfer rumors. No one knew what that kid dealt with. Same with Romeo. The good thing for Bailey is he had Graham's, Calbert, Henderson, Jones, Anderson and others to help him his first couple years. Romeo just doesn't have the same backup. 

35 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT......then post here PLEASE!!!

Typed and deleted. Last time I brought up Smith tweet from January I had like 6-7 randoms asking questions on my timeline and it started getting out of hand. As much as I want to say things to that guy....I can't see one positive coming from it. Now if Ed wants to keep flapping his gums this week....I might take a different approach. Haha.

see, i admit i tend to give Romeo a pass because my thought is that jealousy is making him get the ball less and maybe also in his head and making him not be as assertive.  admittedly i could be completely off and maybe it is Romeo's fault.  clearly i don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but Romeo should be getting more opportunities and it can be tough on a kid if they are conscientious and are the center of all the turmoil.  if i have Romeo figured all wrong, then fine.  

Archived