Minnesota Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Solid analysis...Especially the lack of ball movement statement. When we're competitive, we share the ball and create assists. When we don't, we jack up ill advised outside shots early in the shot clock or drive and throw up a WAS (Wild Ass Shot) that has little chance of going in. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that after such a poor performance, it is hard to find something positive.  Not gonna fault your for your grades, this time.  I think they are spot on.  However, I would like to point out, as I just did in another thread, that IU made it to the free throw line 28 times.  Hitting on 21 of those opportunities, for a team average of 75%.  And De'Ron made good on 4 of his 5 attempts for 80%. 

There, see something good happened on Saturday.  xD

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I realize that after such a poor performance, it is hard to find something positive.  Not gonna fault your for your grades, this time.  I think they are spot on.  However, I would like to point out, as I just did in another thread, that IU made it to the free throw line 28 times.  Hitting on 21 of those opportunities, for a team average of 75%.  And De'Ron made good on 4 of his 5 attempts for 80%. 

There, see something good happened on Saturday.  xD

I really have been impressed with DD's stroke at the line.  That should pretty much curse him for Tuesday.

I really have been impressed with DD's stroke at the line.  That should pretty much curse him for Tuesday.

I am going to attribute De'Ron's early season free throw troubles to the issues he had with his legs. As I saw him in high school, and in all star games, where he was a decent free throw shooter.  Now that it seems he has overcome his injury issues (knock on wood).... it seems his stroke has returned.

Here is my take. 

Saturday morning the wife and I headed out of town to celebrate our wedding anniversary.  Did not think 1 second about Indiana basketball.  Did not check HSN nor did I look for a score. Did not watch any ESPN or and sports Saturday or Sunday. Just loving some much needed time with my soul mate and best friend. Did not find out until Sunday afternoon the outcome my response was not surprised and have not thought anymore about it.  For a weekend ignorance was bliss.

Now back to reality WE SUCK!!

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Here is my take. 

Saturday morning the wife and I headed out of town to celebrate our wedding anniversary.  Did not think 1 second about Indiana basketball.  Did not check HSN nor did I look for a score. Did not watch any ESPN or and sports Saturday or Sunday. Just loving some much needed time with my soul mate and best friend. Did not find out until Sunday afternoon the outcome my response was not surprised and have not thought anymore about it.  For a weekend ignorance was bliss.

Same here.  It used to be that an IU loss ruined my day.  Now it doesn't bother me a bit.  I actually expect it.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Here is my take. 

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Same here.  It used to be that an IU loss ruined my day.  Now it doesn't bother me a bit.  I actually expect it.

And that is apathy, the true death knell of a coach and his program.  Anger is useful, it means fans still care enough to have an interest in the outcome.  Apathy on the other hand is the IU Football program.  It means that the games occur and most people don't even know who the opponent was and whether the team won outside of the small contingent of interested die hards.

It has been my experience among my group of friends and acquaintances that IU basketball is becoming less and less that "appointment programming" that they do not want to miss.  The IU fanbase, despite what some on these forums say, has been overly patient with the basketball program while we were passed up by many of our closest competitors.  Young kids in Souther Indiana have Louisville and Kentucky as options to follow.  Central Indiana kids have had Butler's run.  Northern Indiana kids have Michigan, Michigan St., and even Purdue.  Meantime, we won the Big 2 times and made it to the Sweet 16 a few too.  In the years we did not do that though we basically completely missed out on the crown jewel of the college basketball viewing experience.  Every year like this convinced people to find something else to do with their time and once that happens, it is not easy to win them back.

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And that is apathy, the true death knell of a coach and his program.  Anger is useful, it means fans still care enough to have an interest in the outcome.  Apathy on the other hand is the IU Football program.  It means that the games occur and most people don't even know who the opponent was and whether the team won outside of the small contingent of interested die hards.

It has been my experience among my group of friends and acquaintances that IU basketball is becoming less and less that "appointment programming" that they do not want to miss.  The IU fanbase, despite what some on these forums say, has been overly patient with the basketball program while we were passed up by many of our closest competitors.  Young kids in Souther Indiana have Louisville and Kentucky as options to follow.  Central Indiana kids have had Butler's run.  Northern Indiana kids have Michigan, Michigan St., and even Purdue.  Meantime, we won the Big 2 times and made it to the Sweet 16 a few too.  In the years we did not do that though we basically completely missed out on the crown jewel of the college basketball viewing experience.  Every year like this convinced people to find something else to do with their time and once that happens, it is not easy to win them back.

You are exactly right.  I use to plan my schedule around IU basketball.  Now I watch if I can and just check the score when I can’t watch.  Maybe because I’m getting older and busier but I think it’s just the direction of the program has been in lately.  I did the same when we were 12-2 so it isn’t just the losing that is causing it. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Here is my take. 

Its funny how they were bragging about how much money the school is bring in...if we were great they get more...but attitudes about the program the way they are ...they wont have the same sales...

25 minutes ago, Golfworm77 said:

You are exactly right.  I use to plan my schedule around IU basketball.  Now I watch if I can and just check the score when I can’t watch.  Maybe because I’m getting older and busier but I think it’s just the direction of the program has been in lately.  I did the same when we were 12-2 so it isn’t just the losing that is causing it. 

Some is life, this 12-2 start was preceded by a bunch of bad basketball though too.  It takes years of sustained success to get people back.  Crean would have these up and down years where we would be really good and then really meh.  That does not build and sustain loyalty.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Could it be that you grew up and found that there are way more important thing sin life than an outcome of a basketball game.  When I was younger and did not have responsibilities the outcome of games ruined my day or week but now I am 48 years old with two kid sin college an outcome of a game is not that important.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Could it be that you grew up and found that there are way more important thing sin life than an outcome of a basketball game.  When I was younger and did not have responsibilities the outcome of games ruined my day or week but now I am 48 years old with two kid sin college an outcome of a game is not that important.

The outcome of the game should not ruin your day but IU has a big problem on their hands when people do not care to watch or attend no matter the outcome.  See Indiana Football and how lack of interest in that sport, because of historical results, hurts the entire athletic department when compared to the rest of the Big Ten.

I have said this and others have before as well, without the extreme loyalty this fanbase has shown to this program the past 20 years, we are on par with Iowa.  Shorten that timeframe up a bit more and we are on par with Northwestern and Penn State.  You like to blame the fans for the state of the program quite a bit on this forum and the other, my question to you Scott is, what kind of players and coaches do you think Indiana is pulling in without the fans?  What kind of media attention do we get?  What kind of games do we get in the Big Ten/ACC challenge?  The games that get eyeballs and ratings or the games against Georgia Tech that nobody but the biggest Hoops fans and the fans of those two programs are watching?

I think most of us realize this is just entertainment, so when you narrow the conversation down and leave it only in that context, we are a TV program that had a strong run and now the writing and acting have fallen off a cliff.  People are starting to turn to other programs and other entertainment.  If you are a fan of the show and think there is more story to tell, do you want the writing to pick up ASAP or do you wait 2, 3, 4 more seasons to figure out if the current writers can hack it?  Will you even have a program if you wait that long?  In basketball context, we are on the verge of the longterm program being cancelled and having to start over with a pilot to see if we can get anyone's attention.  The IU football program has been running pilots for almost 100 years with 1 programs that hit paydirt for a year and another that was pretty solid for about 8.  It has been struggling to get viewers ever since.

Patience is not always a virtue in these types of situations.  Patience has not helped the football team as fans (what are left) have been patient their entire lives and that is for anyone alive today.  They have NEVER had a consistently good program.  Patience did not work out with Davis and it did not work out with Crean either.  Meanwhile, programs that have shown to not be patient, are reaping the benefits.  We are resting on the fact that we had a pretty good "writer" for our program 20+ years ago.  Reruns only hold attention for so long.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Care to cite examples here?

North Carolina, fired Matt Doherty after 3 years.  Replaced him with Roy William's and won I believe 2 National Championships since then.

Kentucky, fired Billy Gillespie after 2 years and hired Calipari.  Have been a fixture late into the NCAA tournament since then and have a National Title as well.

Tennessee got Cuonzo Martin to resign after year 3 and canned Tyndall after one, then hired Barnes.  He won 26 games in year 3 and has had them in the Top 5 for a significant portion of this year.

There is a current example of not waiting and 2 examples of programs that at one time we were peers of who did not wait and it paid off in Championships.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

North Carolina, fired Matt Doherty after 3 years.  Replaced him with Roy William's and won I believe 2 National Championships since then.

Kentucky, fired Billy Gillespie after 2 years and hired Calipari.  Have been a fixture late into the NCAA tournament since then and have a National Title as well.

Tennessee got Cuonzo Martin to resign after year 3 and canned Tyndall after one, then hired Barnes.  He won 26 games in year 3 and has had them in the Top 5 for a significant portion of this year.

There is a current example of not waiting and 2 examples of programs that at one time we were peers of who did not wait and it paid off in Championships.

And to be clear, I am not saying to fire Miller this offseason, but I am saying that there should be a drastic improvement next year before he should be given a chance at a 4th year.

Also, if the rumors about Glass are true about tying Miller's hands, I want him fired ASAP.  And if it comes out that is true, I wanted IU's policies changed and I might be willing to give some more slack.  But after this year, I need to see some explanations beyond "we had bad kids".  Because if we had "bad kids" they should not have been playing.  

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

And to be clear, I am not saying to fire Miller this offseason, but I am saying that there should be a drastic improvement next year before he should be given a chance at a 4th year.

Also, if the rumors about Glass are true about tying Miller's hands, I want him fired ASAP.

What are the rumors about Glass?  And what did Brian Snow supposedly leak?  I’m way behind.

Archived