It's All About The 'Team'.

5fouls

Very interesting article by Rick Bozich that came out earlier this week.   In essence, the number of teams in the Top 10 that are winning with 2 and 3 star recruits exceeds those that are winning with 5 star recruits.  

In the future, I hope Archie is able to recruit for team fit more than landing a class full of 4 and 5 stars that don't mesh.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich--stars-optional-in-college-basketball-top-ask-tennessee/article_bf7b6d6e-309b-11e9-b63c-c3ad91ce850c.html

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Arch recruited a 5and 4 star who play a lot, another two kids who have hardly or not played at all, and inherited the rest. Yet tbd whether he can recruit kids who mesh together 

He gets another year but make no mistake this will be an extremely toxic off-season and the pressure will be enormous.  You don't even want to know what year 4 would look like if next season isn't a big success.  The mob has made up its mind and they aren't going away.  Archie needs a lot of help going forward.

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He gets another year but make no mistake this will be an extremely toxic off-season and the pressure will be enormous.  You don't even want to know what year 4 would look like if next season isn't a big success.  The mob has made up its mind and they aren't going away.  Archie needs a lot of help going forward.

So, what you are saying is that the inmates are running the asylum 

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

so dramatic

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Arch recruited a 5and 4 star who play a lot, another two kids who have hardly or not played at all, and inherited the rest. Yet tbd whether he can recruit kids who mesh together 

Agreed.  My purpose in starting the thread was not an indictment on Archie, more of a word of caution against those that think the sky will be falling if we don't get Brooks or some other highly regarded recruit.  Basically, all of the Top 10 except for Duke, UK, and UNC are winning big without top ranked classes.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  My purpose in starting the thread was not an indictment on Archie, more of a word of caution against those that think the sky will be falling if we don't get Brooks or some other highly regarded recruit.  Basically, all of the Top 10 except for Duke, UK, and UNC are winning big without top ranked classes.  

Honestly,  I think the program may be better off if we brought in a really good shooter who plays defense and has something to prove.  

If Brooks intends to stay 2-3 years, by all means, but if he WANTS to be a one-and-done, I think it's in everyone's best interests for him to go somewhere else.  I think Archie needs a couple years to establish a culture and have some upperclassmen and veterans of HIS system.

Until then, I think adding any true one-and-done players may make it difficult to achieve that.

TJD and A. Franklin are both encouraging Brooks to join them at IU.  TJD has confirmed his friendship with Brooks and a desire to play along side him.  Given the current state of basketball this season at IU, I'm not sure Brooks has any intention of signing at IU.  However, should he choose to do so I see no reason why the new group of recruits/players at IU should not get along and play together much better than the current divisive and apparent Crean's guys vs Archie's guys going on now.  Regardless of the number of stars aside their names, I think the "togetherness" of IU basketball improves as the disgruntled players of the old regime move out and get replaced by those who currently look forward to representing IU and the coach/team they chose to play for/with. 

1 hour ago, iu2win said:

TJD and A. Franklin are both encouraging Brooks to join them at IU.  TJD has confirmed his friendship with Brooks and a desire to play along side him.  Given the current state of basketball this season at IU, I'm not sure Brooks has any intention of signing at IU.  However, should he choose to do so I see no reason why the new group of recruits/players at IU should not get along and play together much better than the current divisive and apparent Crean's guys vs Archie's guys going on now.  Regardless of the number of stars aside their names, I think the "togetherness" of IU basketball improves as the disgruntled players of the old regime move out and get replaced by those who currently look forward to representing IU and the coach/team they chose to play for/with. 

Franklin to me is a kid who will come in and work his butt off.. I  think he will be a big boost from day 1

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, what you are saying is that the inmates are running the asylum 

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well I hope it's that simple and we have a lot of Spring Creaning.  If so and we land Brooks next season should be a whole lot better.  

If this is true, my question is what is going on behind the scenes to allow this to happen?  If there is any truth to CAM not being allowed to be hard on these guys, something has to change at the very top (FG).  There’s a difference between being hard on a kid and being abusive.  Some of these kids seem to need some tough love and self reflection.

On 2/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, 5fouls said:

Very interesting article by Rick Bozich that came out earlier this week.   In essence, the number of teams in the Top 10 that are winning with 2 and 3 star recruits exceeds those that are winning with 5 star recruits.  

In the future, I hope Archie is able to recruit for team fit more than landing a class full of 4 and 5 stars that don't mesh.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich--stars-optional-in-college-basketball-top-ask-tennessee/article_bf7b6d6e-309b-11e9-b63c-c3ad91ce850c.html

Good read.  And very informative as well.

I realize that going after OADs is the rage now.  But history has shown that approach has only worked at a very few schools.  

Archived