Edward Smith at it again

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

1. He is wrong; several players have improved from last year

2. There have been other tweets, even if you haven't seen them.  There was a thread on a previous tweet from him after the Michigan game.

3. The tweet is from a PARENT. It's not an "outside tweet."  It's very much "inside the program."

Other than Al, who else has improved from last year?

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So if you aren’t disgruntled? If anyone has the right to be disgruntled it is some of these players parents. If my kid played on this mess of a team I would sure be upset too. Again he isn’t criticizing the other kids by names...no big deal. He just blew off some steam about how poor this team is playing and performing under Archie. It’s a free country and he has the right to express his opinion. It isn’t like he is going on radio shows and calling out everyone...he just tweeted back frankly an honest opinion that imo has a lot of truth behind it. 

You are absolutely correct. It IS a free country. So if you as a parent act like an Ahole then I’m gonna bench your kid because it’s a free country.

people act like because you have a right to do something you should ugh

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Why in the world should Smith be benched/punished/kicked off the team for his dads tweets? Lorenzo Ball was called a good teammate and very coachable but he had the most hideous basketball father in the history of the NCAA.  Lorenzo was not, and should not have been, responsible for his father.

If Smith is a locker room problem, as many have inferred, then action should be taken but he should not be punished for the actions of his dad.  

Who do you think is relaying the information to him to take such actions...hmmm I wonder.

1 minute ago, HMSHoosier said:

I said it in the beginning of the thread, but Morgan and Davis (though Davis has only seen limited play this year, he's been more consistent and has developed a stronger post presence than I remember him having - it could be just age, but I feel like I see improvement)

1 minute ago, HMSHoosier said:

Juwan made a big jump last year under Archie.  Granted, there has not been much more improvement this season, but maybe he got close to his ceiling last year.  Archie deserves credit for Juwan's improvement, regardless of the timing.

Devonte and Justin have no desire to improve if it means being team players.  They just don't.

De'Ron has been injured, but has been improving steadily.  Whether that is just getting back into playing shape or actual improvement, who knows.  

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was not like that in the past like it is today because in my day the parent knew their place more than they do today just look at the Ball family.

Did they are was it just easier to cover up because there was only newspapers to report upset parents and the writers could sit on stories to get access to teams etc. hardly worth writing up a whole article on a dad saying coach isn’t doing s good job..there is nothing else to it. Dad is upset we are losing and the team is getting worse and Archie hasn’t changed up the offense or anything to get anyone more involved. Everyone is looking for a scape goat and Justin’s dad is just the easy target..anyone but who is actually running the team or on it.

8 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Why in the world should Smith be benched/punished/kicked off the team for his dads tweets? Lorenzo Ball was called a good teammate and very coachable but he had the most hideous basketball father in the history of the NCAA.  Lorenzo was not, and should not have been, responsible for his father.

If Smith is a locker room problem, as many have inferred, then action should be taken but he should not be punished for the actions of his dad.  

Ok then kick his fricken dad out of games. Being a parent of a kid who signed a contract as a legal adult with a school gives the parents ZERO right to degrade a coach and or program. Shut up or get out.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Who do you think is relaying the information to him to take such actions...hmmm I wonder.

If every kid that complained to their parents about their coach, playing time etc was kicked off a team there would be games that would have to be played, due to lack of players,  2 on 2.

Also, Smith Sr does not exactly need inside info to tweet that players have not improved. Tons of other people say the same thing on various boards, in assembly hall during games etc.

I know another head coach of a program at IU who tells his scholarship athlete’s parents when they sign “this will likely end my communications with you moving forward. You’re child isn’t a child anymore they’re an adult and I’m their boss and everything is between me and them now.

gosh I loved and respected that coach for setting that standard. That coach reiterated that parents won’t be going to their boss at their job so don’t come to me. Loved it

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I know another head coach of a program at IU who tells his scholarship athlete’s parents when they sign “this will likely end my communications with you moving forward. You’re child isn’t a child anymore they’re an adult and I’m their boss and everything is between me and them now.

gosh I loved and respected that coach for setting that standard. That coach reiterated that parents won’t be going to their boss at their job so don’t come to me. Loved it

That’s great but has nothing to do with Smith’s dad speaking out on his own. Archie could never, and maybe does not, communicate with Smith Sr but Sr still has the ability to send the tweets.

To be clear, I do not like that Smith Sr does it and did not like it when Troy’s mom would occasionally “express” her opinion. I just do not think it should fall on the kid.

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

You are absolutely correct. It IS a free country. So if you as a parent act like an Ahole then I’m gonna bench your kid because it’s a free country.

people act like because you have a right to do something you should ugh

And if that is your reaction to someone being critical instead of proving the opposite by doing the gritty hard work of improving your team and yes even his kid than you know what...you are getting upset at someone for telling the truth. That would be dumb to bench someone who has the ability to be one of our best players but is floundering because you haven’t been able to develop an offense to utilize his or anyone else’s talents on this team. Thankfully I’m sure Archie isn’t that sensitive to criticism to give up on a kid because his parent is unhappy with you. Archie is paid to coach this team...not to penalize kids for what others do....Justin can’t control his dad. So the answer is do your job...do it better and it will take care of itself. Question is does Archie have what it takes to make the necessary changes to improve the play of this team...so far no. So glad Archie doesn’t take your view...he would ask ushers remove fans that boo?? Kick out journalist that ask critical questions...and none of this is Justin’s fault so even if people don’t like it and I accept that...should leave Justin out of it.

22 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Ok then kick his fricken dad out of games. Being a parent of a kid who signed a contract as a legal adult with a school gives the parents ZERO right to degrade a coach and or program. Shut up or get out.

But being a fan gives us all the right to be critical?? Look it isn’t a good look I agree and likely the result of a frustrated parent...I mean as frustrated as a fan you are imagine if your kid was playing how much more frustrated you would be...he is 1000 x more invested than you...so he got upset and gave his opinion....I wouldn’t do it...sounds like you wouldn’t but I can understand it. I guarantee Justin’s dad cares more than anyone on this board his dang kid is out there getting his butt kicked all year...it’s gotta be hard on him to bite his tongue...when we can spout whatever we want whenever we want and get it off our chest. Put yourself in his shoes...he is probably taking losses twice as hard as you. He is watching his kid be miserable on a miserable team. So he has made 2 or 3 tweets that voiced his frustration...hard to blame him..and again he isn’t calling out any of Justin’s teammates by name.

21 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

As it should be with all of them. I doubt Archie is fielding calls from Sr. Doesn’t mean Sr can’t voice his opinion to whomever he cares. If you are worried about that you should never have recruited the kid...and honestly shouldn’t be paying attention to any of that...it’s just outside noise. I doubt Archie even knows about Justin’s dads tweets honestly....nor does anyone on the team but maybe Justin.

Look, Archie knows who won't be here next year by their choice or his. Please, get them away from the program. They can finish the school year academically as guaranteed. Why continue to punish the team, coaches, and fans? Are they a benefit in games or practice? Doesn't seem so.  Amazing to watch Kentucky get rid of Quade Green, then thrive. Sad we can't shed our problems.

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

Look, Archie knows who won't be here next year by their choice or his. Please, get them away from the program. They can finish the school year academically as guaranteed. Why continue to punish the team, coaches, and fans? Are they a benefit in games or practice? Doesn't seem so.  Amazing to watch Kentucky get rid of Quade Green, then thrive. Sad we can't shed our problems.

If Archie has a good idea who is going to be moved and/or leave I hope it is reflected in that player(s) future playing time. Let’s face it, we are pretty much moving on to next year already.

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

If Archie has a good idea who is going to be moved and/or leave I hope it is reflected in that player(s) future playing time. Let’s face it, we are pretty much moving on to next year already.

Agreed.hopefully it’s part of “drastic changes”. Only took losing like 10 of 11 games to make some changes.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But being a fan gives us all the right to be critical?? Look it isn’t a good look I agree and likely the result of a frustrated parent...I mean as frustrated as a fan you are imagine if your kid was playing how much more frustrated you would be...he is 1000 x more invested than you...so he got upset and gave his opinion....I wouldn’t do it...sounds like you wouldn’t but I can understand it. I guarantee Justin’s dad cares more than anyone on this board his dang kid is out there getting his butt kicked all year...it’s gotta be hard on him to bite his tongue...when we can spout whatever we want whenever we want and get it off our chest. Put yourself in his shoes...he is probably taking losses twice as hard as you. He is watching his kid be miserable on a miserable team. So he has made 2 or 3 tweets that voiced his frustration...hard to blame him..and again he isn’t calling out any of Justin’s teammates by name.

Well there is one way Justin’s dad could get even with Archie and the rest of the team. Have his son play like the guy he thinks he can be. Justin has had plenty of opportunities to kick butt. Unfortunately he has no heart and butter hands. His family is too busy bitching and snitching. No way that family isn’t a big cancer to this team. Has the coaching staff done a poor job? Yes I think so, but chemistry and injuries and a one time decent record with hopes of post season has limited Archie’s discipline. I’m sure he has learned from the way he handled things as they have spiraled out of control. I’m not impressed with anything IU basketball related and I’m not sure when it’s going to change. Its time to get hard!

I’ve got to say I think this is an overreaction of people trying to find a reason for IU’s slide off the cliff this year. Nojel Eastern’s mom is on the rivals Purdue board and puts things on there all the time. The reality is parents in today’s day are always on social media. Should they be probably not but it’s a reality and it happens everywhere. Shoot Wendell Carter’s mom was unhappy with they way Coach K used him at Duke last year with Baggley. The real question that I would like to know is why does he feel the way that he does about Miller. What is the reason players haven’t really gotten better. Is it the coaches or is it the players. I know there are people that know what’s going on but they haven’t really said in detail but it would be nice to know because this season has turned into a dumpster fire and there is zero positive momentum in the program and that is a problem that might not be fixed. 

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve got to say I think this is an overreaction of people trying to find a reason for IU’s slide off the cliff this year. Nojel Eastern’s mom is on the rivals Purdue board and puts things on there all the time. The reality is parents in today’s day are always on social media. Should they be probably not but it’s a reality and it happens everywhere. Shoot Wendell Carter’s mom was unhappy with they way Coach K used him at Duke last year with Baggley. The real question that I would like to know is why does he feel the way that he does about Miller. What is the reason players haven’t really gotten better. Is it the coaches or is it the players. I know there are people that know what’s going on but they haven’t really said in detail but it would be nice to know because this season has turned into a dumpster fire and there is zero positive momentum in the program and that is a problem that might not be fixed. 

I consider this a civil post so I’m going to reply in a civil tone. 

Even if Ed was in fact 100% correct and Archie is a rotten coach and is making grave mistakes left and right and preventing the team from being more successful, I still do not believe that it is even partially appropriate for him to go off on social media. Will parents do that today? Yes. And in everyone of those instances they are acting inappropriately.

when someone has a problem with someone else they should go to that person. If that doesn’t work, then they can go to the AD. But truth is, it shouldn’t BE the parent at this age level. The parent should be teaching their young adult that a part of growing up is that THEY as the athlete need to go to their authority figure and then follow the proper chain of command. This is how life works...or should.

Heck as a parent of a MS boy, my son came home ticked at a teacher and the first thing I asked him “Habe you gone to that teacher?” He said “No.” I said “then until you do you have two options...let it go, or go try to work it out. If you try that and can’t make it work then we’ll take the next step. Otherwise this discussion is over.”

I further explained that when he has a job someday it won’t be tolerated for him to flame off to all his friends, get ticked on social media and try to create a mutiny against someone. That’s just going to get you fired.

I hate helicopter parents it is one of my GREATEST pet peeves in life.

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Well said. I think everyone is so frustrated at the season that we are willing to blame anyone and everyone. No one really knows the issues with the chemistry on the team...or with the coaching...what if Justin comes back next year....are we going to be complaining all summer? I think the situation is a lot more complicated than it seems but parents complaining...that is nothing new....it’s a nothing burger in my world.

Archived