Edward Smith at it again

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HMSHoosier said:

So let get this straight. The only reason IU is playing like crap and cant score is all because of 1 player or that players dad. Not because of the coaching??

Ok.

Its about the culture of players thinking they deserve the rock when they should be thinking about winning the game and playing as a team for the team, students, alumni, fanbase.

5 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

This is not a rebuild!  That is a poor excuse. The previous coach had a rebuild.

This coach did not come into a situation with only 2 returning players that were walk-ons.

I see your point, and it is valid.  There is another side Crean was able to hit the recruiting trail and bring in the players who bought into Indiana and he was given time.

What endes up happening because of the bad blood between him and Indians HS is that he ended throwing scholarships out there like it was spaghetti on the wall or wait until one of two coaches named in the investigations were able to pull last minute recruiting gets.  Which, leads us with today.  

Anyone who has studied organizations and systems would love to have the ability to be a change agent with your kids.

Crean was let go because of recruiting, not because of a scandle like Pitino who was leaving gritt behind.  

56 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

Who creates the culture?

Of course the coach sets it but the players have to buy into it. Crean commented on twitter the other day about Vic and DWade. He said they would practice all day, go to class, in DWade's case put his son down for the night....and after all of that they would go to gym themselves and work for hours because they wanted to be champions. Coaches set it but players have to put in the work.

Crean changed our culture with Vic, Jordy, Cody.....Archie has to go find those types of guys too. 

14 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I know another head coach of a program at IU who tells his scholarship athlete’s parents when they sign “this will likely end my communications with you moving forward. You’re child isn’t a child anymore they’re an adult and I’m their boss and everything is between me and them now.

gosh I loved and respected that coach for setting that standard. That coach reiterated that parents won’t be going to their boss at their job so don’t come to me. Loved it

i flat out LOVE this

14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Inheriting an NIT team that lost two NBA players is the definition of a rebuild.

So that NIT team that didnt exceed expectations was the coaches fault right? 

But now this team with 2 potential NBA players underachieving and it's the players fault?

Ok got it!

just like everyone else, i am frustrated with how bad this team is and baffled as to why.  this roster is definitely better than the results we're seeing.  Archie's fault?  maybe.  i don't know what to think at this point.  i do still strongly feel it is behind the scenes stuff mostly and it makes all the sense in the world that it centers around jealousy toward Romeo and it seems Smith would be a good bet to be a big part of that.  does Romeo bring it on and make it worse?  my gut is no, but i have no idea.  does he help make it better?  no idea.  a poster on here mentioned a long time ago about things he had noted that seemed like tension between Justin and Romeo at the beginning of the season and now all of this with his dad.  who else is part of it?  Green?  who else?  just a sad sad situation to waste a season with a player like Romeo.  

But now this team with 2 potential NBA players underachieving and it's the players fault?

Ok got it!

Yes, those were that coach's players. This coach so far has three of his own players that are regular rotation guys.

Ok got it!

Well, yeah, that's actually reasonable. That NIT team was filled with that coach's players, guys he recruited, and that was after almost a decade of coaching that program, so that was his culture. Archie doesn't have that same situation right now, so it's hard to tell who is at fault. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, yeah, that's actually reasonable. That NIT team was filled with that coach's players, guys he recruited, and that was after almost a decade of coaching that program, so that was his culture. Archie doesn't have that same situation right now, so it's hard to tell who is at fault. 

Morgan, Green, Davis and Mcroberts are the only players left from Crean. Durham, Smith and Moore all decommitted when Crean was fired. Archie chose to rerecruit those players and they decided to commit. So those are his players.

Just now, HMSHoosier said:

Morgan, Green, Davis and Mcroberts are the only players left from Crean. Durham, Smith and Moore all decommitted when Crean was fired. Archie chose to rerecruit those players and they decided to commit. So those are his players.

Mods, can we get the head slamming against a brick wall emoji back?

1 hour ago, HMSHoosier said:

So let get this straight. The only reason IU is playing like crap and cant score is all because of 1 player or that players dad. Not because of the coaching??

Ok.

Just my personal perspective.  IU's collapse does not lie on any one individual. Certainly, that one player is part of the problem. However,  IMHO, the issues lie on everyone..... including the coaching staff.

Ironically, one of the early season problems we had issues with.... was the free throwing.  Against Minnesota, IU his 21 out of 28 opportunities.  And one guy who took early season grief from many.... De'Ron Davis.... hit 4 out of 5 against Minnesota, for a cool 80% !

6 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

First of all, that's 4 players, which is a significant amount, especially when all 4 are expected to be major contributors, and 3 of the 4 have either underperformed or have been injured (or both). As for the re-recruit, that's kind of silly. You have to have players on the court, and also have to try to compete if you're coaching at a school like IU. 

Was the situation Archie walked into as bad as Crean? Of course not. But, when you're trying to change the culture of a program, sometimes a complete rebuild is necessary.

13 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

No, that class is not his players. He had no choice but to keep them.

13 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Mods, can we get the head slamming against a brick wall emoji back?

No need for that. This is the biggest reason I never posted up until the other day and now i will go back to that. My opinion isnt in the majority.

I will just keep slamming my head against the wall every time I watch a game, which will be Tuesday night.  Hopefully they play better or the coach can figure out how to get more points on the board.

I hope I'm wrong and something turns around but right now all I see is a mid major coach getting mid major results playing in the BigTen.

I don't think it is classy to do what Ed did, he does have a right to do it though.  Winning fixes many, many things.  If we are a top flight program, parents doing dumb stuff would not impact things, but since we don't have an established culture, this probably has a great deal of impact.  Since it looks like we are not getting Brooks, and there is rumors of 6 or so players leaving(who knows), there will be a need to find players to fill out a roster.  How Archie thins the herd(so to speak), recruits and selects players for next year is the most critical undertaking for the health and well-being of this program that many of us have ever seen.  This program is vulnerable to being cast on the scrap heap of once great programs populated by the likes of DePaul, UNLV and maybe UCLA.  We are not a top ten program, and I mean not  top ten in our own conference .  Ed isn't the problem.  It goes much deeper because if this guy has the power to tweet us into irrelevance, than I don't know what to think anymore.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course the coach sets it but the players have to buy into it. Crean commented on twitter the other day about Vic and DWade. He said they would practice all day, go to class, in DWade's case put his son down for the night....and after all of that they would go to gym themselves and work for hours because they wanted to be champions. Coaches set it but players have to put in the work.

Crean changed our culture with Vic, Jordy, Cody.....Archie has to go find those types of guys too. 

I wonder who on this team does work themselves, they have access 24hrs a day to cook hall...i bet its very few...i seen Forester did about a week ago,but thats it.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I wonder who on this team does work themselves, they have access 24hrs a day to cook hall...i bet its very few...i seen Forester did about a week ago,but thats it.

Yeah.  Interesting that so much was made about Forester working out that day after the Iowa game, and then he did not even see the floor against Minnesota.

Archived