Edward Smith at it again

2 hours ago, HMSHoosier said:

So let get this straight. The only reason IU is playing like crap and cant score is all because of 1 player or that players dad. Not because of the coaching??

Ok.

So let me get this straight, the only reason this team isn’t a lock for top 2-3 in conference and a sweet 16 is because a young up and coming coach with an excellent resume must’ve had a stroke and forgot how to coach when every kid on the team could be coached by any other run of the mill coach to all that success?

ok.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The question is why has there not been a stop to this? I can't imagine a coach that would allow this to continue.  The team is loosing, at least play kids who buy in to the correct style.

Oh, Edward. .your son has shown improvement; however, he doesnt finish strong, shoot, and takes plays off.  The personal trainer during the summer must not have helped either.  Sometimes it is the kid and lets not forget he still is a young Sophmore.  This offseason is where Vic took his leap.

There are kids that look bad at Duke, transfer and are 5 star studs again.  Why?  Kids have to fit into a system and buy into being a TEAM.  

Smith has shown zero improvement, in fact he's gotten worse. His shot, the turnovers, his rebounding, and his effort have all regressed. If Archie sends him packing at the end of the year I won't miss him one  bit. Just tell him to take his loudmouth dad with him.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

You just said in a previous post coaches shouldn’t talk to parents...so how else is a parent to voice their displeasure? It’s not like this parent is going on the radio and doing interviews and airing dirty laundry and singling out kids and the coach etc. he literally makes like a two word post answering someone that yes he was frustrated but hardly a problem. You’ve never turned to the person next to you and complained about something? Well in the new world of social media that was what he did...he simply agreed with another poster...and he took it down if I’m not mistaken so he had a moment of frustration and then took it back. It isn’t like this guy is causing a firestorm. Only people like you and me with too much time on our hands even know about this...and I’ve got better things so I’m letting it go. Everyone has their opinion...to me it’s inconsequential it’s meaningless...I wouldn’t do it and things used to be different but I hardly think parents have any real influence on a team...he is a scapegoat.

I don't think the parents should voice their displeasure because if their kids are good enough they would be playing.  If they are not playing it is because they are not holding up their end of the bargain.

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No, that class is not his players. He had no choice but to keep them.

Huh?? No he didn’t he could have went out and found grad transfers and JC guys. You don’t throw away 4 year scholarships to guys you don’t believe in. He liked those players enough to re recruit them. He had a choice...he took the easy quick rebuild because he didn’t want to go out and find his own guys or use walk ons. He had a choice unless you are saying the AD forced him to take them. If that is the case than ok but I doubt it. But for what I see he had a choice..and maybe it was a bad one.

Can someone just put a collection of all his tweets etc here because all I know about is a tweet agreeing nobody on this team is improving under Archie. This whole Romeo etc thing I don’t know anything about? Did the father use Romeo’s name? I mean it would be helpful to have the quotes. I just find it hard to believe so dad is the reason this team is playing so poorly..and that one kid is causing the problem with this team. This team is not responding to Archie, they can’t shoot, they ALL are putting out piss poor effort...but that is all because of a couple tweets?!!! If that is the case we have bigger issues under Archie if we can’t limit outside noise and distractions any better than this.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Huh?? No he didn’t he could have went out and found grad transfers and JC guys. You don’t throw away 4 year scholarships to guys you don’t believe in. He liked those players enough to re recruit them. He had a choice...he took the easy quick rebuild because he didn’t want to go out and find his own guys or use walk ons. He had a choice unless you are saying the AD forced him to take them. If that is the case than ok but I doubt it. But for what I see he had a choice..and maybe it was a bad one.

He got in late in the game and was able to get Romeo to commit. He also has TJD coming, and is in the running for Brooks, too, along with a really nice recruiting class this year (if they can ever get healthy), a number of other top recruits, and you think he should have spent time finding JuCos and grad transfers to fill holes for not renewing scholarships for multiple players? Seriously?

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

He got in late in the game and was able to get Romeo to commit. He also has TJD coming, and is in the running for Brooks, too, along with a really nice recruiting class this year (if they can ever get healthy), a number of other top recruits, and you think he should have spent time finding JuCos and grad transfers to fill holes for not renewing scholarships for multiple players? Seriously?

Than why bring in Al, Justin, and Clif if they aren’t his guys...he should have went out and got his own guys if you are saying those guys aren’t his. They are absolutely his kids too. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Actually because of the APR he pretty much had to keep them on the team.

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Smith needs to go ASAP 

What has he done? How do we know he is the problem and not Green or Romeo or Juwan or Duron I mean does anyone know inside the locker room who really is causing the issue or are we just calling s kid out who isn’t playing well...because there are plenty we can put in that category.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks. I never knew that. Than I have an issue with Glass...why would Archie agree to that when he signed on. Why does IU sabotage itself like this?

I think that’s one of the main mystery’s of this season, and partially the reason for the FG resentment.  There’s belief that Glass has told CAM that he has to treat the kids a certain way and to not be too hard on them.  Others have even mentioned that CAM looks like he’s been neutered by Glass.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Than why bring in Al, Justin, and Clif if they aren’t his guys...he should have went out and got his own guys if you are saying those guys aren’t his. They are absolutely his kids too. 

Uh, I just explained on reason why in my post - did you even read it? It's logical that he put his efforts into recruiting the future, and brought back the players currently on the roster to create some continuity, or to avoid the hassle of finding replacements, or a number of other reasons.

16 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Uh, I just explained on reason why in my post - did you even read it? It's logical that he put his efforts into recruiting the future, and brought back the players currently on the roster to create some continuity, or to avoid the hassle of finding replacements, or a number of other reasons.

Someone said they aren’t his players...he absolutely recruited them. He could have put that energy into finding his own players. His hands weren’t tied. I agree with you he did it to get a head start but what I’m saying is if they aren’t his style or breed of player it’s his own fault for bringing them in. Someone else said Glass forced him to take them. I have my doubts but if that is true than this program has bigger problems than I imagined.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

I think that’s one of the main mystery’s of this season, and partially the reason for the FG resentment.  There’s belief that Glass has told CAM that he has to treat the kids a certain way and to not be too hard on them.  Others have even mentioned that CAM looks like he’s been neutered by Glass.

If that is true Glass needs to go. He has undermined Archie’s ability to lead his team. If he is allowing guys like Green and others that are screening up the chemistry of the team to remain because Glass said so than that changes everything.

Do people really believe that Archie would have taken the job if glass would have that type of power over his roster? I mean seriously this board has gotten ridiculous. 

Archie had the power when he took this job. People are crazy if they think roster management and turnover werent discussed. There is no way archie was coming to IU if the AD said you cant manage your roster as you see fit. Also if glass is overstepping his bounds force his hand to fire you and get the buyout, it goes both ways. 

I am tired of everyone blaming this season on Creans players and the fact that it isnt Archie's roster. Same kids were here last year and these issues were not the same. Also archie did rerecruit Justin Smith, Al Durham and the other sophomores. He also recruited Fitzner. The majority of the roster belongs to him. I wish anything tied to Crean was gone, just so that narrative was dead because it is getting old. When a Crean player produces Archie gets all the credit but when they dont Crean gets all the blame.

Although Edward Smith may be doing stupid things on Twitter they are not the reason we keep losing games. Is it helping no, but it is not causing our team to fall apart.

Every single player on this team is a part of the issue. Maybe the truth will come out after the season maybe it wont.

And the biggest issue imho is that so many people keep giving Romeo a pass. He stands around as much as anyone, jobs back on defense and does not seem to care about winning or losing. I would love to see him take over a game and drop 40 like so many keep saying he is capable of. Just do it already we are all tired of waiting to see it. Is it Archie telling him not to? Surely with all our offensive issues Archie has told romeo just to step up and be the man. Why has it not happened? Come on coach make the adjustment, make a call and put the ball in his hands and let him be the man. Hell even better let him do it against Purdue who completely shut him down last time.

I am tired of all the finger pointing and blame that is going around. We just arent a good team this year, Romeo may have decent numbers for a freshman but has had little impact on improving our program, Archie has not done a good job as the head coach this year, Morgan has not had the senior season we had hoped for, injuries have hurt us no doubt about it but I think these issues would have still happened to some extent. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sorry. I am in disagreement here.  There is much value to this kid.  Just not showing it . Really think his dad needs to bow out of it.  Kid, to me is getting torn in different directions. 

Justin Smith could be an excellent Junior/Senior.  Hopefully he can do that at IU.  The kid has come along.  Here is to hope that he can work out with Archie and except his role, which might change each year.

So please explain how issues with the APR are glass tying Archie's hands on roster management? Seriously the APR results are posted every year so there shouldnt have been any major surprise. 

Nothing in that says Archie can't bench a player. Nothing says that Glass isnt allowing him to run the team the way he wants. 

If we are losing anyways why doesn't our coach play the players that he wants? Archie is the one who keeps opening his mouth and saying things that he doesnt follow through on. 

I think most of us would handle the losing better if we tried anything different. Turn the freshmen loose and see what happens. What is our coach trying to do? I cant figure it out watching. Zero adjustments, same line ups and the same results.

If we are looking for transfers play the guys you want to keep.

Archived