Edward Smith at it again

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Justin Smith could be an excellent Junior/Senior.  Hopefully he can do that at IU.  The kid has come along.  Here is to hope that he can work out with Archie and except his role, which might change each year.

Agreed. There is a ton of talent there. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sorry. I am in disagreement here.  There is much value to this kid.  Just not showing it . Really think his dad needs to bow out of it.  Kid, to me is getting torn in different directions. 

I agree that he brings value, but to what extent? I don't know if he is part of the problem, but his dad is. OMHO, someone or some players are showing mutiny and Archie sees it.

So if Justin is as big of the issue as people want to make him out to be, wouldn't the coaching staff know it? Yet he continues to play. Justin has struggled horribly minus the purdue game. He cant shoot, is timid around the rim and is getting lost on defense, yet he continues to play. Why is that? If the coach thought he was tearing the team apart he would not be playing.

1 hour ago, Riverrat said:

So if Justin is as big of the issue as people want to make him out to be, wouldn't the coaching staff know it? Yet he continues to play. Justin has struggled horribly minus the purdue game. He cant shoot, is timid around the rim and is getting lost on defense, yet he continues to play. Why is that? If the coach thought he was tearing the team apart he would not be playing.

It must be Moore's fault for all this losing then, explains his benching.   :coffee:

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Agreed. There is a ton of talent there. 

Talent or athleticism....he seems pretty raw to me. He hasn’t developed a shot...low post moves, or his hands to dribble or catch in traffic. Kid just needs to be locked in a gym all summer and have his hands soaked in Palmolive every night. Lol

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

Ironic that not making changes to the roster for fear of post season ban has lead to..........

Yes we aren’t making the post season reguardless so moving benchings or moving on now make perfect sense. If only we knew a team that started what 12-2 was going to sink like the titanic...we could have bailed in life boats much earlier!

I’ll say this one thing about Smith and his lack of development. You can really tell who takes their respective roles seriously on this team and who doesn’t. 

I was one of the people claiming that Justin could take that next step and have a breakout season this year. However, one would have to think that he probably heard the same from a multitude of fans/people in his family and bought into it himself. I mean, you can see the growth in Durham and it’s pretty obvious that he’s put in the work. Durham’s constant presence in Cook  Hall has been well noted and it has shown on the court. The same has been said about Forrester also. I’m sure there are others, but I haven’t once heard of Smith putting in the work behind the scenes. 

I hope that Justin can get over whatever it is that’s been bothering him. I really would like nothing more than to be right about the potential that many of us saw in him. However, he’s gotta figure that out on his own. I just don’t want to see his dad, nor any other family member giving him bad advice and telling him that he’s bigger than the team, because nothing could be more tragic. 

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’ll say this one thing about Smith and his lack of development. You can really tell who takes their respective roles seriously on this team and who doesn’t. 

I was one of the people claiming that Justin could take that next step and have a breakout season this year. However, one would have to think that he probably heard the same from a multitude of fans/people in his family and bought into it himself. I mean, you can see the growth in Durham and it’s pretty obvious that he’s put in the work. Durham’s constant presence in Cook  Hall has been well noted and it has shown on the court. The same has been said about Forrester also. I’m sure there are others, but I haven’t once heard of Smith putting in the work behind the scenes. 

I hope that Justin can get over whatever it is that’s been bothering him. I really would like nothing more than to be right about the potential that many of us saw in him. However, he’s gotta figure that out on his own. I just don’t want to see his dad, nor any other family member giving him bad advice and telling him that he’s bigger than the team, because nothing could be more tragic. 

Justin has athletic ability you can’t teach...but the path to success and the chance at the nba is LITTERED with the bodies of kids like this that thought that was probably 95% of all that they really needed and the rest would just sorta happen. Right now he ca. Jump and he’s relatively fast and quick for his height...but even at this level if that’s all you bring...you’re not gonna do much. Now at the local Y you’ll be a beast. But that’s about it.

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Sorry. I am in disagreement here.  There is much value to this kid.  Just not showing it . Really think his dad needs to bow out of it.  Kid, to me is getting torn in different directions. 

He's go incredible athletic ability and has the potential to add significant value - I don't doubt that. I hope I am wrong and maybe I am missing something but I'm still not sold on if he can ever become a consistently good player on both ends of the floor that adds the value that he is capable of.  I think Archie needs to sit Justin and Edward down (and maybe he already has) and tell them his thoughts and to more or less get with the program or transfer -- because clearly there is some disconnect.  Edward making a habit of bad mouthing our team/coaches on social media is very poor taste, so hopefully as you said - he bows out of it...however if he continues to do so, Justin doesn't need to be here. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting that Ed changed his account over the weekend. No profile pic, deleted several old tweets. 

Very interesting. Maybe he learned his lesson? Then again, I thought he had after his first tweet mentioning how our 2 best players are getting way too many shots....and Justin isn't

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Someone said they aren’t his players...he absolutely recruited them. He could have put that energy into finding his own players. His hands weren’t tied. I agree with you he did it to get a head start but what I’m saying is if they aren’t his style or breed of player it’s his own fault for bringing them in. Someone else said Glass forced him to take them. I have my doubts but if that is true than this program has bigger problems than I imagined.

Yes, the bolded part is what I'm addressing - I would agree the Glass rumors seems a little much. I'll break it down. Obviously estimating times for the sake of making a point - he had the option of spending an hour recruiting the guys who were already here, keeping continuity in the program, and spending 9 hours recruiting guys like Romeo, TJD, and Brooks, or he could have spend 10 hours getting rid of the current guys and going and finding Jucos and grad transfers to fill those holes, with a lesser chance of fielding a competitive team in the short term and of landing the future talent in the state. That second option is pretty much lose/lose, and I'm sure he didn't anticipate this season being the complete disaster that it has become. But, that still doesn't make the holdover guys "his" guys, it's just the best way to solve a short term problem of trying to field a competitive team while changing the culture.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Very interesting. Maybe he learned his lesson? Then again, I thought he had after his first tweet mentioning how our 2 best players are getting way too many shots....and Justin isn't

Guys that would tweet stuff out to begin with actually never learn their lesson. Usually people like that have only one interest in mind which is self preservation. My guess is he's cleaning up things for the new coaches he's auditioning his son for after May 1st. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Guys that would tweet stuff out to begin with actually never learn their lesson. Usually people like that have only one interest in mind which is self preservation. My guess is he's cleaning up things for the new coaches he's auditioning his son for after May 1st. 

THIS ^^^

Justin Smith is like the pitcher that throws 98 mph, but walks 6 guys a game, carries a 5.92 ERA, 1.65 WHIP and averages about 3.1ip per start. He throws enough fastballs by opponents to keep fans/coaches/scouts on board...but at the end of the day, he is a bad pitcher that loses games for you.  

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Or maybe he got a call from IU Athletics.  I've told this story before.  Doc Libby (Yogi's mom) once tweeted out something that was a clear NCAA violation. By the time I contacted IU compliance, they not only were aware of the violation, but had already spoken to Yogi's mom, and got her to take the tweet down.

Now, I am not suggesting that Mr. Smith committed any NCAA violations, but rather, that IU Athletics does follow the social media of it's players and their parents.

Archived