Edward Smith at it again

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Or maybe he got a call from IU Athletics.  I've told this story before.  Doc Libby (Yogi's mom) once tweeted out something that was a clear NCAA violation. By the time I contacted IU compliance, they not only were aware of the violation, but had already spoken to Yogi's mom, and got her to take the tweet down.

Now, I am not suggesting that Mr. Smith committed any NCAA violations, but rather, that IU Athletics does follow the social media of it's players and their parents.

I remember watching a documentary maybe it was on UK. They had one full  time staffer who monitored every post, tweet, message board, facebook,etc....all day long to see any signs of wrong. I have no doubt we would do the same. And if not....another check on Fred. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many weeks ago, I observed and commented that Justin was beginning to play better - getting rebounds, staying out of foul trouble, and most importantly not trying to do things he isn't capable of (shooting jumpers, handling the ball, etc.).  At that time we were winning and the bottom hadn't started to fall out.  In retrospect, it was right around the time that his dad had that infamous tweet, and since then the team has floundered AND Justin has been back to trying to do things he shouldn't (taking 3 pointers, more shots than RL, and so on). 

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Justin Smith is like the pitcher that throws 98 mph, but walks 6 guys a game, carries a 5.92 ERA, 1.65 WHIP and averages about 3.1ip per start. He throws enough fastballs by opponents to keep fans/coaches/scouts on board...but at the end of the day, he is a bad pitcher that loses games for you.  

Good analogy.  But I would like to go one step further.  How about the player who owns IU's  all time vertical jump record, and like the aforementioned baseball pitcher, works on his game the entire off season, to become the league's winningest pitcher the next year ?  Yep, I agree with most here. Justin has yet to show what he truly is capable of. Yet, just like a guy who throws 98mph consistently, something that is rare.... you just don't stop working with him. Too much talent to walk away from, IMHO.  Plus the fact that I believe he is conflicted with some of the advice he has been getting from home. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember watching a documentary maybe it was on UK. They had one full  time staffer who monitored every post, tweet, message board, facebook,etc....all day long to see any signs of wrong. I have no doubt we would do the same. And if not....another check on Fred. 

Wouldn't that be the job from Hell?

34 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good analogy.  But I would like to go one step further.  How about the player who owns IU's  all time vertical jump record, and like the aforementioned baseball pitcher, works on his game the entire off season, to become the league's winningest pitcher the next year ?  Yep, I agree with most here. Justin has yet to show what he truly is capable of. Yet, just like a guy who throws 98mph consistently, something that is rare.... you just don't stop working with him. Too much talent to walk away from, IMHO.  Plus the fact that I believe he is conflicted with some of the advice he has been getting from home. 

Glad to see you post this. I know this won’t be the most popular opinion around here now, but I want to make sure we don’t punish the son for the sins of the father. 

Whatever is going on, it may get to a point where a fresh start is best for everyone. 

The program is in sh!thole, and now it looks like KBJ is opening up his recruitment, which many of us thought pretty much a done deal. Archie is at a crossroad now. Either he sinks with the dysfunctional team or he can right the ship and rise above the challenge. I'm expecting the latter. I believe Archie is too good of a coach not to make significant progress down the stretch. 

To me it’s a bit presumptive to think all our problems are because Justin’s dad got upset with the state of the teams performances and lack of role for his son. To me this teams problems run much much deeper...upper class man getting busted for weed, freshman getting free pass because he is the favorite son of Indiana and his lazy play on defense and occasional bad shots on offense go undisciplined...and the current senior and supposed leader of the team shows no backbone to get in the face of the youngsters and in fact gets lazy on defense too then reaches in getting into foul trouble because he doesn’t move his feet. I don’t know everything but I would bet my house all this didn’t start because a players dad made a post a month ago and I bet the fact he agreed with how pathetic the season has gone in another isn’t continuing to the slide. Justin may indeed have a part in the problem with the team but it isn’t him soley and I see just as many issues with our two studs efforts to say we got issues across the board.  I think this team has checked out on Archie and some of that lies on him too!

Is Justin a problem yes he is. That said he isn’t the only problem. The whole team is and that includes everyone. In the Nebraska game at a time out. Nebraska coach told his team “Romeo will try an do to much and Morgan will try to take over! Don’t worry about the rest is what he is saying. That’s all he had to tell his team to put us away. Every team has its stars. Guys who want the ball when the team needs something to happen. The rest of the team doesn’t stop playing they try to help. By setting a screen or getting a rebound are put back. This team stands watching . Very frustrating team can’t wait to see the next one it’s got to be better. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

That's fair. Someone with that potential is hard to let go. But...

Is it fair to the team, school and fans? Is it fair to give the kid with a presumed bad attitude every benefit of the doubt, but not other players? Is it fair to treat the lazy player who doesn't seem to care the same way as the player leaving it all out there? How about the player whose dad bashes coaching staff on Twitter on multiple occasions? This is a direct reflection of Justin...nothing else. IUbb Instagram account posted a video of Coach Marshall doing a pregame warm up. Justin was the only one not clapping. He has checked out, he's soft and him and his dad are ruining this team. There were reports of Justin not liking Romeo before the season even started. 

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Regardless of his talent, his vertical or his potential if he (or his family) is a cancer, distraction, creates dissension or has not bought into the system then he must be dismissed. The kid has potential but he is also a sophomore who has not improved one bit since his freshman year and gives no indication that he is willing to work on his physical and mental game to make himself or his team better.  He is a fricking adult who is responsible for his actions and performance and he along with every player and coach needs to  be held accountable just like you and I were when we were in our careers.  

On 2/17/2019 at 4:40 AM, milehiiu said:

Verdell Jones Sr. had major problems, early on with Tom Crean.  A fact only a few people know about, because I have shared it with them on HSN. The reason, few knew little about it ?  All the meetings ( and there were many) Jones Sr. had with Crean were HELD BEHIND CLOSED DOORS !  Eventually, they were able to come to agreement on many things, and work out their issues.  Bottom line. There are ways to work out issues, without the whole world knowing that you have an issue. 

When one airs his dirty laundry in public..... all that does is make that person look like a fool. 

So it's an Illinois dad thing? 😛

One did it right, the other not so much.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well, there's a reason Michiganders have a name for people from Illinois.  Does, not to apply in all cases.  However, if the shoe fits..... 

You can’t post that and not tell the rest of us what they think...obviously most of us have never lived in Michigan lol. Besides my wife is from Illinois and I’m dying to know if it applies lol!!

Just now, dgambill said:

You can’t post that and not tell the rest of us what they think...obviously most of us have never lived in Michigan lol. Besides my wife is from Illinois and I’m dying to know if it applies lol!!

Three letter word that begins with F and ends with P, which stands for people.  And in the middle is the first letter of the Land of Lincoln. 

Justin Smith is a tough case. On one hand, he is absolutely killing this team right now. His Dad's tweets are irrelevant in terms of the product on the floor, Justin's play is killing this team on both ends. If I was the coach he would rarely see the floor the rest of the season.

With that said, Smith does have several attributes that if developed could be really beneficial to the team the next two years. So, do you cut bait and bring in another freshmen, which means removing a veteran and getting younger, or do you keep him and hope you can mold that clay and turn him into a highly productive upperclassmen, on a roster that needs upperclassmen and older players? It's really a tough decision. 

The easy decision though is that he should spend the rest of this season on the end of the bench, unless necessary. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Justin Smith is a tough case. On one hand, he is absolutely killing this team right now. His Dad's tweets are irrelevant in terms of the product on the floor, Justin's play is killing this team on both ends. If I was the coach he would rarely see the floor the rest of the season.

With that said, Smith does have several attributes that if developed could be really beneficial to the team the next two years. So, do you cut bait and bring in another freshmen, which means removing a veteran and getting younger, or do you keep him and hope you can mold that clay and turn him into a highly productive upperclassmen, on a roster that needs upperclassmen and older players? It's really a tough decision. 

The easy decision though is that he should spend the rest of this season on the end of the bench, unless necessary. 

You don't think he'd transfer under those conditions? I do...

Archived