Edward Smith at it again

This is a calculated move on Edward's part.  Justin already lost his starting job and was probably was on his way to losing even more time as a part of the 'drastic' changes Archie mentioned.

Now, if Archie pushes Justin further down the bench, it looks like a vindictive move.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I wouldn't of posted if there wasnt a pattern of tweets (many deleted) from him and a the rumors (with legs) of Justin.  The tweet is saying that Archie does not improve players - which is false.  It has nothing to do with the team.  Its undermining and selfish.  One would think the Smiths would do anything possible to help get talent next year to win.  That is not the case with public tweets such as his.  

Where have I missed the rumors of Smith transferring?!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So if you aren’t disgruntled? If anyone has the right to be disgruntled it is some of these players parents. If my kid played on this mess of a team I would sure be upset too. Again he isn’t criticizing the other kids by names...no big deal. He just blew off some steam about how poor this team is playing and performing under Archie. It’s a free country and he has the right to express his opinion. It isn’t like he is going on radio shows and calling out everyone...he just tweeted back frankly an honest opinion that imo has a lot of truth behind it. 

Have you thought these new age millennial parents could be some of the reason for the mess.  Parents try to live through their children instead of just letting them grow on their own.  Parents need to shut up and let the coach  the team because that is their job

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

No it’s called IF you’re a MAN you to to another MAN and talk face to face. HS punks and millennials in their parents basements go after people on Twitter and FB. This is classless and if anyone doesn’t have BALLS it’s this dad.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  I'm technically a millenial, and we never go after people on Twitter and FB from our parents' basements.  We do it from our former childhood bedrooms thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is a calculated move on Edward's part.  Justin already lost his starting job and was probably was on his way to losing even more time as a part of the 'drastic' changes Archie mentioned.

Now, if Archie pushes Justin further down the bench, it looks like a vindictive move.

Interesting thought. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have you thought these new age millennial parents could be some of the reason for the mess.  Parents try to live through their children instead of just letting them grow on their own.  Parents need to shut up and let the coach  the team because that is their job

This is nothing new. Has nothing to do with millennials.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can't see a difference between what a random fan says than a parent of a current player ten I don't now what I can tell you.

Happens all the time..this isn’t new. I wouldn’t do it because I would never use twitter etc but to me is no different than an upset parent spouting to the guy next to him and it making a paper etc. This team is a car wreck and you are telling me it’s one kids dad that is the cause? Now their might be a lot of issues with guys on the team but Archie hasn’t handled this team very well and I failed to see this team or any of the guys improving. Juwan, Romeo, Justin, Green, Robert all look worse now than the beginning of January and that’s a fact. Look I hardly think a parent spouting their displeasure with the team is a problem...Purdue has been doing just fine despite Easterns mom and this happens all over.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On a more serious note, why do millenials get so much hate/blame for all of society's ills these days?  The oldest millenials are 37, which means the majority of millenials' kids are still in elementary school or yet to be born, so I don't think there's really any blame to lay there, at least yet.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Look it is what it is and every team has a couple...it isn’t stopping them from winning or improving. If you as a coach allow some tweets and outside noise to affect your team you are the problem.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

On a more serious note, why do millenials get so much hate/blame for all of society's ills these days?  The oldest millenials are 37, which means the majority of millenials' kids are still in elementary school or yet to be born, so I don't think there's really any blame to lay there, at least yet.

Older generation is always going to blame society's problems on the generation beneath them. A tradition as old as time. Millenials will do it with the post-millenials.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Look it is what it is and every team has a couple...it isn’t stopping them from winning or improving. If you as a coach allow some tweets and outside noise to affect your team you are the problem.

I think the disconnect we are having in this discussion is that it isn't JUST the tweet (though it in, and of itself is a problem).  It's that the tweet is a public manifestation of the very real chemistry issues this team has, and the Smith's seem to be at the center of it.  If Edward Smith is tweeting this stuff, how much do you think he's inserting himself into the daily functioning of the team?

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Older generation is always going to blame society's problems on the generation beneath them. A tradition as old as time. Millenials will do it with the post-millenials.

That dang generation Z!

Edit:  Ironically, I find that many of the things we millenials get criticized for, like attachment to phones/devices, are things that are done just as much, if not more by older generations.  I guess in the end it's just people being people, and it's easier to project our own problems onto others instead of taking ownership of our own shortcomings......much like the Smith's are projecting their own deficiencies onto Archie and the IU basketball team.  (How about that for tying a tangential topic back into the thread topic!?) 

Look I’m going to try to defuse myself from this...I don’t like it...I wouldn’t do it...but I hardly have a problem with Justin’s dad stating his opinion. It’s just this day and age the way people express themselves is on the Internet as opposed to the local diner. Fact is I’m not sure there is one person on this forum that knows the real story inside this team...if their really are issues with Romeo or if they may in fact be warranted because he never gets yelled at or yanked from the game when he makes the same mistakes as others or if say the fact that guys like Green have screwed up and are still on the team and haven’t lost any playing time and maybe that is who some are referring to. Anyways I want IU to succeed...and Archie is a heck of a recruiter but this program is a mess and he is the boss...at my job I would be called out for that...and I hardly think a parent upset at the fact they gave untrusted their kids future to you and this is what they are getting...I wouldn’t be shocked.

5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think the disconnect we are having in this discussion is that it isn't JUST the tweet (though it in, and of itself is a problem).  It's that the tweet is a public manifestation of the very real chemistry issues this team has, and the Smith's seem to be at the center of it.  If Edward Smith is tweeting this stuff, how much do you think he's inserting himself into the daily functioning of the team?

None. No way these kids should be allowing outside chatter to influence this team. Block it out..get them in the gym...take their phones away...and work on their fundamentals. Coach shouldn’t be allowing outside media and people and reporters to get between his message and his players.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

None. No way these kids should be allowing outside chatter to influence this team. Block it out..get them in the gym...take their phones away...and work on their fundamentals. Coach shouldn’t be allowing outside media and people and reporters to get between his message and his players.

But he should allow parents to get between his message and the players?

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Again, this isn't an OUTSIDE problem. 

Why in the world should Smith be benched/punished/kicked off the team for his dads tweets? Lonzo Ball was called a good teammate and very coachable but he had the most hideous basketball father in the history of the NCAA.  Lonzo was not, and should not have been, responsible for his father.

If Smith is a locker room problem, as many have inferred, then action should be taken but he should not be punished for the actions of his dad.  

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

But he should allow parents to get between his message and the players?

Why would a parents comment be an issue? I’ve played sports my whole life and been around so much and upset parents come with the territory and never had it cause the team to be disfunctional...if I’m Robert Phinesee or Juwan Morgan why would it matter what Justin’s dad says? Just another person...and if I’m focused and doing my job I’m not following twitter and message boards and I’m working on getting better.  Anyways it isn’t ideal but it isn’t surprising considering how badly Archie has managed this season. Everyone at IU has underperformed and Archie is the only adult to criticize...kids are kids I would like them to play better to do some things differently but in the end Archie is has to own this season. It’s on him.

Archived