Transfer portal

NotIThatLives

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Coach SS and I are on the same page with the staff...anyone looking for a lot of turnover is going to be sorely disappointed.  This team and these players are going to get older and IU basketball is going to stay older...

Frankly, based on what I saw this year, I think the staff is touched if they believe that what we have coming back is going to be close to enough.  Green and Smith are not reliable, at all.  They show flashes here and there but overall you may get 1 good game out of 6 for Smith and maybe 50% out of Green.  I am fine with Phinissee but he needs to find his shot, like yesterday.  Durham is a good backup.   I think Davis is an old school big but he just appears to be a few steps slow, particularly on the defensive side.  Outside of those guys is a bunch of guys that, based on who played these past few games, the staff had zero confidence in their ability to help win a game this year.  I do not see how you go from not good enough to see the court on a team looking for answers to a viable cog on a tournament team.

We still have no one you can trust to shoot.  We are losing the top 2 scorers on a team that struggled to score all year.  And we are adding a really good 5* kid who will be a help but I doubt he replaces Morgan and another 3/low 4* guard who I expect nothing out of until I see him on the college court.  He is not going to replace Langford's production though, I am pretty sure of that.

So we are hoping a guy with a freak injury this year finds a way to play and lives up to the legend that was built around him this year, we hope a 5* kid comes in and replaces a 4 year, all Big senior, and we hope that getting one year older suddenly becomes a magic elixir for basically everyone else on the team.

Color me pessimistic about next year if that is our approach.  I mean, we could catch lightning in a bottle but I would not bet my job on those odds.  And frankly, Miller's job should be on the line next year.  Tournament or unemployment line (with Glass preceding him to unemployment) is my expectation.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Coach SS and I are on the same page with the staff...anyone looking for a lot of turnover is going to be sorely disappointed.  This team and these players are going to get older and IU basketball is going to stay older...

Get old and stay old was one of my favorite things Archie said when hired, so like you I have less problem with this than most. 

Here is my thing though. If we basically bring the same group back then I don’t ever want to read the term “Crean recruit” here again. Some or these guys will be in their third year playing for Archie and some will never have played for Crean. At that point their success and development is credited to him, but so are their deficiencies or any lack of development. 

You can only development and improve those that want to be developed and improved. I’m not sure we have many that fit that. I think some are content on playing for a school like IU and being in the Big Ten. So getting old and staying old with players that have no burning desire is pointless and if Archie hasn’t gotten through to them after 2 years then he never will and it’s time to cut the cord. 

11 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

You can only development and improve those that want to be developed and improved. I’m not sure we have many that fit that. I think some are content on playing for a school like IU and being in the Big Ten. So getting old and staying old with players that have no burning desire is pointless and if Archie hasn’t gotten through to them after 2 years then he never will and it’s time to cut the cord. 

That’s fine, cut it if it needs to be. But if the cord isn’t cut, it’s attached to him.  If they come back, no more these aren’t his guys excuse. None.  Never again. 

21 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That’s fine, cut it if it needs to be. But if the cord isn’t cut, it’s attached to him.  If they come back, no more these aren’t his guys excuse. None.  Never again. 

I agree. We’ve heard all the excuses over the years “wait till next years recruits” “we’re young” “injuries” 

I think Archie has done a good job of not making excuses but he’s going in with the guys he has so the results need to be there. If he’s not willing to take a grad transfer so as to develop his own so be it. But the results on the court need to be better if that’s the case. It’s tough when we’ve seen the benefits of a grad transfer (zeisloft and Beilfelt). 

The reason people refer to Crean recruits is that they don't fit the way Archie wants to play. Them staying on for several years doesn't change that. A kid can play hard and still not be the kind of player the new coach would choose for his team. It's bad form to kick a kid out of your program for that reason, so they stay. Even if coach wanted to get rid of them, you have to consider whether that would actually help - we had a huge first recruiting class, making it one bigger didn't seem like a good idea. We might push someone out this year, but again, to be replaced by whom? There is something to be said for experience even if isn't in your ideal player. That's not even mentioning the APR restraints. No matter how much you might not like it, this is not Archie's team. I don't know whether Archie's teams will win or not, but saying this team didn't win is not the same as saying Archie's teams won't. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

The reason people refer to Crean recruits is that they don't fit the way Archie wants to play. Them staying on for several years doesn't change that. A kid can play hard and still not be the kind of player the new coach would choose for his team. It's bad form to kick a kid out of your program for that reason, so they stay. Even if coach wanted to get rid of them, you have to consider whether that would actually help - we had a huge first recruiting class, making it one bigger didn't seem like a good idea. We might push someone out this year, but again, to be replaced by whom? There is something to be said for experience even if isn't in your ideal player. That's not even mentioning the APR restraints. No matter how much you might not like it, this is not Archie's team. I don't know whether Archie's teams will win or not, but saying this team didn't win is not the same as saying Archie's teams won't. 

Very well said and exactly how I have felt since through all of this.....I couldn't have said it any better. 

Reading that comment, and the fact that the coaches didn’t scramble after the “Former Ft Wayne product” chose to go elsewhere, doesn’t that point toward a possible Romeo return? Twitter is still showing him disrespect, and many are disappointed with his season, but if you [assume] Romeo is back, assume Jerome lives up to the hype, add in RP, Aarman, [“good Devonte] TJD, a healthy Davis, Race and maybe even a more mature Justin, THAT wouldn’t be a competitive team??

56 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Reading that comment, and the fact that the coaches didn’t scramble after the “Former Ft Wayne product” chose to go elsewhere, doesn’t that point toward a possible Romeo return? Twitter is still showing him disrespect, and many are disappointed with his season, but if you [assume] Romeo is back, assume Jerome lives up to the hype, add in RP, Aarman, [“good Devonte] TJD, a healthy Davis, Race and maybe even a more mature Justin, THAT wouldn’t be a competitive team??

A lot of if’s in that. 

Archived