Transfer portal

NotIThatLives

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. I was basically just typing my frustration that now Virginia can make one call and get 2 players like that. Apparently LSU can do the same. Starting to get nervous about recruiting this off season. Probably would be wise on my end to just hope that Al and Devonte are practicing 1000's of jumpers a day. 

I'm with you. If IU misses out on Beverly, Quinones, Watford and Harris (the VT decommit) where does Archie go with two open scholarships. 

My worry right now is that IU is just talented enough to not be attractive for guys seeking immediate playing time, but clearly not talented enough to be really good. We've got guys like Durham, Smith and Green that aren't good enough, unless they improve considerably, to lead IU to probably more than a bubble team, but at the same time have played and started enough that you can't really pitch to someone that they'll come in and start ahead of them without a fight.

The roster is in a really weird spot right now. I was hoping Archie would be able to nab one of these mid-major graduate transfer guards/wings that scored 15+ a game and wants a year at a high major, but how do you open/shut tell that kid he's start over Phinesee, Green, Durham or even Hunter? It's a tough sell when some other schools have clear open spots. 

12 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

We will have a better record next year. We will make the tournament. I am going to guarantee both. 

For some reason I feel the same way. I think we underachieved this year for various reasons, but I feel pretty good about next year's roster right now. I just can't put my finger on why though. Probably some homerism involved with that feeling, but a little more to it than that. 

27 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

We will have a better record next year. We will make the tournament. I am going to guarantee both. 

13 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

For some reason I feel the same way. I think we underachieved this year for various reasons, but I feel pretty good about next year's roster right now. I just can't put my finger on why though. Probably some homerism involved with that feeling, but a little more to it than that. 

I hope you men/women are right! If we get brunk and 2 shot makers there is a chance . As the roster stands right now I will have to disagree with you though

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm with you. If IU misses out on Beverly, Quinones, Watford and Harris (the VT decommit) where does Archie go with two open scholarships. 

My worry right now is that IU is just talented enough to not be attractive for guys seeking immediate playing time, but clearly not talented enough to be really good. We've got guys like Durham, Smith and Green that aren't good enough, unless they improve considerably, to lead IU to probably more than a bubble team, but at the same time have played and started enough that you can't really pitch to someone that they'll come in and start ahead of them without a fight.

The roster is in a really weird spot right now. I was hoping Archie would be able to nab one of these mid-major graduate transfer guards/wings that scored 15+ a game and wants a year at a high major, but how do you open/shut tell that kid he's start over Phinesee, Green, Durham or even Hunter? It's a tough sell when some other schools have clear open spots. 

Yep. It's being .500 in the NBA. Not bad enough to get the lottery pick and not good enough to improve to conference finals. Really hoping somewhere out there right now (and he very well might be on our roster) is a play maker who can shoot. Have to think RP will improve. TJD is legit. Reports on Hunter are promising but I need to see it....but that still leaves 2 guys who haven't stepped on the court for IU at Big 10 level. Maybe Deron can stay healthy. I liked what I saw towards end of year from Al and DG but....not sure the right words here. They aren't starters on Big 10 title contending teams.

Just rambling. Need a pure shooter. Maybe Lester is that guy.....otherwise and I hate saying this. Year 3 could be similar to worse than this past year. 

While I have no proof that it will happen...and fully admit that this is cream and crimson glass through which I'm looking...I'm hopeful and expecting individual player improvement.  That means improved shooting and ball handling...strength and whatever else an individual player can work on during the off season.  Yeah...we all know that I'm stretching...but I'm looking for a positive since new acquisitions don't seem to be working out.   😝

6 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

While I have no proof that it will happen...and fully admit that this is cream and crimson glass through which I'm looking...I'm hopeful and expecting individual player improvement.  That means improved shooting and ball handling...strength and whatever else an individual player can work on during the off season.  Yeah...we all know that I'm stretching...but I'm looking for a positive since new acquisitions don't seem to be working out.   😝

Well as of now that and improved chemistry are all we have to hang our hats on. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Next years team will be easier to coach for Archie.  I think he was trying to hard to keep everyone happy this year. (Romeo, Morgan, etc.) I believe we will see a team hard nosed and ready to play hard play after play and game after game.  Hunter is a stud.

Agreed, from all the locker room back-story talk, feel like chemistry just derailed chances of a successful season. If Archie can get buy-in from the full roster for next season I'm confident we'll do more with less compared to this year's results. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hachimura from Gonzaga is entering the draft.  Just seems like guys who use to not enter the draft is entering now like Cowan from Maryland of Jerome of UVA.  I can see it from guys who are sure fire top picks but just don't get some of these guys who are not expected to be 1st round pick or not drafted at all.  I hope most of these guys are just going through the process and come back but I see a lot of kids making a big mistake by staying in.

That's the thing now though: if they declare, sign with an approved agent and go undrafted, they can return. From a player's standpoint, 0 risk, all reward.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's the thing now though: if they declare, sign with an approved agent and go undrafted, they can return. From a player's standpoint, 0 risk, all reward.

Why is it so difficult for some to understand this?

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't think they can go through the draft but they have to pull their names out by a certain date before the draft.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think they can go through the draft but they have to pull their names out by a certain date before the draft.

See that I was wrong about going back even after the draft and I hate that rule because it puts the team in limbo.  The draft is not until the middle of June so a coach is suppose to wait until then to see if a player comes back after the draft.  If I were a coach I would just go ahead and fill those spots and tell the player who did not get drafted that they have no room for them.

More Hauser "news" - From the Wisconsin State Journal today.  Wisconsin offered Joey while he was in high school, so he's visited.  Both Hausers were teammates of a current UW walk on. 

Sam's now-girlfriend is on the Wisconsin women's volleyball team.

It's all speculation.  No one said if UW has or will contact them.  Bennett at Virginia scouted and offered both players while they were in high school.  I'm guessing that means they visited Virginia then, but I'm that's all I'm doing - guessing.     

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

See that I was wrong about going back even after the draft and I hate that rule because it puts the team in limbo.  The draft is not until the middle of June so a coach is suppose to wait until then to see if a player comes back after the draft.  If I were a coach I would just go ahead and fill those spots and tell the player who did not get drafted that they have no room for them.

So how many kids do you think you will get to come to your program who have NBA dreams? If you even think about leaving early your off the team! Come on get real...if you don’t care about your players enough to let them test the waters then you don’t have their best interest at heart...and who wants to play for that person.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

So how many kids do you think you will get to come to your program who have NBA dreams? If you even think about leaving early your off the team! Come on get real...if you don’t care about your players enough to let them test the waters then you don’t have their best interest at heart...and who wants to play for that person.

I did not say that about testing the waters but if they go through the draft and are not happy with where they go in the draft.  I am not waiting until the end of June to see what my roster is going to look lie

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not say that about testing the waters but if they go through the draft and are not happy with where they go in the draft.  I am not waiting until the end of June to see what my roster is going to look lie

Lol yeah treating players like that you won’t have to worry about your roster very long. 

It’s not a matter of them not being happy about where they get drafted. It’s if they don’t get drafted. 

7 minutes ago, BrianIU said:

You don’t have to wait til the end of June. Players must declare their intentions by May 29

Someone posted that there is a new rule that players can go through the draft and if they don't get drafted they can come back to college.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Someone posted that there is a new rule that players can go through the draft and if they don't get drafted they can come back to college.

All the more reason not to use up all the scholarships. Wait until some idiot coach kicks his NBA caliber player to the curb because he can't wait until June, then at the end of June you can come scoop up in NBA caliber player on the transfer portal.

Archived